We Play Detroit 13 Times Second Half

LVSoxFan

The point is, we get to face head-on our division contenders numerous times as well as the current best team in baseball the most games of all.

Either way, in regular season, we have ample opportunity to face up against the best teams the rest of the way so, heading into September, we should have a pretty good idea of how "real" we are.

We play KC 9 more times--the one exception, although beating division teams never hurts.

We play NYY 6 times.

Boston, Baltimore, LAA, Texas, Oakland, Seattle and TB only 3 more times.

So basically the second half of the season is a Central Division shootout, with the second most games against our current wild-card rival.

Really this is perfect if you think about it. We'll know after a couple of months just how well we stack up because we're facing all our major competition in the AL (save for streaking Oakland and maybe Toronto).

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)
With the Tiggers playing the Royals this weekend, and us playing the Yankees, We can easily fall to 3 or 4 games back. The Tiggers wont lose this weekend.

That's funny, I swear I saw this exact line during the weekend the Tigers played the Pirates...

With the Tiggers playing the Royals this weekend, and us playing the Yankees, We can easily fall to 3 or 4 games back. The Tiggers wont lose this weekend.

You're right hanger, doesn't look good. However the games still have to be played. Remember last year when Cleveland had a six game stretch against Tampa and KC? We thought for sure they would pass us up playing those weak teams...yet they didn't.

The kitties are going to cool off.

I wouldn't say that about KC/Tigers.

No matter how bad anybody is, the beauty of baseball is that anybody can beat anybody on any given day. I will remind you that last year we were killing but for whatever reason we lost more than a few games to KC--especially at KC. I was at two of them.

And let's not forget who put an end to Cleveland's red hot streak last year and pretty much saved our ass: yup, KC. One dropped fly ball and our season was saved.

As far as the Yankees, we can take 'em. Two out of three (like last year) is fine with me. We can cower, or we can use this opportunity to show our wild card rivals who's REALLY boss.

Then we go to Detroit for 3 games. The SOX have put themselves in a position where they now have to sweep to get close, whereas the Tigers have to win just 1 game to keep their lead the same.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 12:55 PM)
And let's not forget who put an end to Cleveland's red hot streak last year and pretty much saved our ass: yup, KC. One dropped fly ball and our season was saved.

Tampa moreso. They probably single-handedly helped the SOX bigtime in September. Im hoping the Royals decide to play the role of the DevilRays down the stretch, because now we need help from other teams (You HATE to be in a position where you need others to help you)

If Somehow, KC decides to take 2 of 3 and we can take 2 of 3 from the Yankees, it will leave us 1 game behind heading into the Tiger series .......................... and dont think the Tiggers wont be nervous knowing we can take over 1st place. Thats the key, we need KC to win a couple of those games (and us winning at least 2 of 3) to get the Tiggers looking over their shoulders ............

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 12:57 PM)
Then we go to Detroit for 3 games. The SOX have put themselves in a position where they now have to sweep to get close, whereas the Tigers have to win just 1 game to keep their lead the same.

Yet all the Sox have to do is win 3 more games than the Tigers the rest of the way, while keeping a lead on Minnesota, Cleveland and Kansas City, to win the division!

There's way too much baseball yet to be played to put undue emphasis on this weekend's activities.

I love it because so far, they have not been able to beat us too often, until they do, we're the better team. If the trend continues, it's those head to head games that'll give us the division.

I'm not saying it will happen, but I'd like to see Detroit go on a 4 or 5 game losing streak, just to see how they bounce back this time.

Second half is gonna be fun!

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 02:08 PM)
I LOOOVE beating the yankees in the bronx.

Sox take 2 of 3, KC splits.

1.5 back going into Tuesday.

Did we sweep the Yank-mes in NY last year? I remember Rowand put on a CF clinic, so King George has a serious hard on for us in '06.

we took 2 of 3 from the yankees in the Bronx, while they took 2 of 3 at the cell.

plenty of baseball to be played folks....don't start worrying about other teams, just go out and play good baseball.

LMB - love that avatar.

Even if we leave Detroit next weekend 1 or 2 games back, I don't see anything to worry about. Lots of baseball left. I predict Cleveland for another run, and I predict a monumental collapse for Detroit.

we'll see...............