Reds/Nationals trade

fathom

This trade makes more sense to me if it was Kearns OR Lopez. Both? Jimmy Bowden's wheeling and dealing came up aces this time. I thought Cinci managment last year more or less told their then gm not to deal with Bowden. I guess with the new gm doing so well this year they let him do his thing. Seems like a terrible trade for a contending team and Billy BRay is goign to need to become a star reliever for this to make any sense

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Classic trade of overpaying for a need and giving up the best players in the deal to do so.

I suppose if there's 1 saving grace for Krivsky, Majewski and Bray are still both young and should be able to contribute for a few years.

Will be interesting to see how Denforia does in the majors finally as well.

QUOTE(T R U @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 08:09 PM)
I actually thought this was a good deal for Cincy.. I see that I am in the minority on that though

Hell f***ing yes you are. They got ass raped. Pure and simple. They basically set the Nats up for now and the future. They can now trade Soriano for some stud spects or another solid player if need be.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 08:15 PM)
Hell f***ing yes you are. They got ass raped. Pure and simple. They basically set the Nats up for now and the future. They can now trade Soriano for some stud spects or another solid player if need be.

They didnt get raped, but they definately got the short end of the trade..

However, they got assets they need in bullpen help and a defensive upgrade.. so I dont see it as an "ass rape"

It's not an ass rape, and anyone who thinks so doesn't follow enough baseball.

Bray, Majewski are both above average relievers. The Reds had a terrible bullpen, and were terrible defensively. It makes sense to trade what you have depth at for something you don't have anything at.

Kearns is putting together a good season, yes sir, and I think he'll continue to do that, but Bray's got closer material written all over him.

I'd say its about even with a slight edge on pure talent, not precisely team need, going to Washington.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:10 PM)

Bray, Majewski are both above average relievers. The Reds had a terrible bullpen, and were terrible defensively. It makes sense to trade what you have depth at for something you don't have anything at.

Kearns is putting together a good season, yes sir, and I think he'll continue to do that, but Bray's got closer material written all over him.

I'd say its about even with a slight edge on pure talent, not precisely team need, going to Washington.

In Rosenthal's column on foxsports.com there is a GM, and although he doesn't use the word ass rape, he thinks the Nationals got the better of the deal. I'm sure he follows at least as much baseball as you do or anyone on this board does. Majewski is a journeyman, he's average.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 02:10 AM)

What has Bray done to be considered an above average reliever? His ERA was nearly 4 in AAA, and it's about the same in the majors. Adding a lefty reliever in that division doesn't make a lot of sense, as almost all of the best hitters in the NL Central are righty. The Reds were winning games with their offense, and going from Lopez to Clayton is a significant offensive downgrade.

You also have to realize those relievers aren't going to have the same ERA for the Reds as they're moving from a real pitcher's park at RFK to a real hitter's park at the Great American Ballpark.

Will be interesting to see how they adjust to that.

Everybody's reaction was the same at the beginning, and when you look at the name power involved it's an easy edge towards the Nationals.

Still, Wagner has been terrible in triple-a, Lopez has had his troubles in Cincinatti, and Austin Kearns has been injured constantly.

I just happen to think its a lot closer than people here seem to think.

All I know is that if you would have told me the Reds would trade Lopez, Kearns, and Wagner, I would have expected them to get a lot better major league talent than what they acquired. In my opinion, that type of package could have gotten you guys like R. Soriano and another pitcher.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You also have to realize those relievers aren't going to have the same ERA for the Reds as they're moving from a real pitcher's park at RFK to a real hitter's park at the Great American Ballpark.

Will be interesting to see how they adjust to that.

Good point.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All I know is that if you would have told me the Reds would trade Lopez, Kearns, and Wagner, I would have expected them to get a lot better major league talent than what they acquired. In my opinion, that type of package could have gotten you guys like R. Soriano and another pitcher.

I agree. The Reds should have and could have gotten more for what they gave up.

Look no further than tonights Reds game to see why that team needs some bullpen help, and quick.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 02:35 AM)
Good point.

I agree. The Reds should have and could have gotten more for what they gave up.

Look no further than tonights Reds game to see why that team needs some bullpen help, and quick.

They also pitched Standridge in the 9th, and he typically wouldn't see the field in a close game. I'm not saying they didn't need relief help....I'm just stunned at who they had to give up.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:17 PM)
In Rosenthal's column on foxsports.com there is a GM, and although he doesn't use the word ass rape, he thinks the Nationals got the better of the deal. I'm sure he follows at least as much baseball as you do or anyone on this board does. Majewski is a journeyman, he's average.

How is Majewski a journeyman?

Hes 26 years old and has played for two teams, with a career 3.27 ERA

He has proven that he is a good reliever thus far in his career

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)
Classic trade of overpaying for a need and giving up the best players in the deal to do so.

I suppose if there's 1 saving grace for Krivsky, Majewski and Bray are still both young and should be able to contribute for a few years.

Will be interesting to see how Denforia does in the majors finally as well.

I think hes going to be a stud, i dont hes RF material, his arm is good, but not RF good, and obviously KGJ and Dunn can't play there so its his for the taking. Denorfia is going to be real good, book it.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:25 PM)
Everybody's reaction was the same at the beginning, and when you look at the name power involved it's an easy edge towards the Nationals.

Still, Wagner has been terrible in triple-a, Lopez has had his troubles in Cincinatti, and Austin Kearns has been injured constantly.

I just happen to think its a lot closer than people here seem to think.

I agree with you. Yes, the Reds paid a steep price but they went from having a horrid bullpen to a very solid solid in a weeks time. They just added Guardado to close, and these two guys from the Nats will probably be setup men from each side. Clayton will tighten up that defense, which makes every pitcher they have just a little better.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)
I agree with you. Yes, the Reds paid a steep price but they went from having a horrid bullpen to a very solid solid in a weeks time. They just added Guardado to close, and these two guys from the Nats will probably be setup men from each side. Clayton will tighten up that defense, which makes every pitcher they have just a little better.

Krivsky's obviously realized, we're not going to make the playoffs with the pen that we had.

It's kind of an interesting situation really. You think with the players they have ready to fill in like Denforia, that in the short - term, it'll definitely give a boost to their playoff aspirations.

But then you also think in the long - term it will hurt them, because Lopez and Kearns are 2 excellent young everyday players. But then Majewski and Bray are both young themselves, and they should be around in Cincinatti for a few seasons to come at least.

Ryan Wagner could be the deal breaker here. If he can find his comfort zone again, and Washington have done an excellent job with bullpen guys like Rauch and Majewski who haven't really had success before, it should push the trade in their favor, which it probably already is.

If Bowden plays his cards right, if they can't sign Soriano to a long - term deal, trade him for a deal including Phillip Hughes, or some other stud prospects from another team.