White Sox scouting Chris Burke of the Astros?

RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 05:55 PM)

Well he's played some centerfield and he's that right handed outfield bat we could use off the bench. Burke also has some good potential and could became a very nice player. I wouldn't mind picking up Burke at all if the price is right but obviously we have more pressing needs.

Me likey, I've always had a soft spot for Chris Burke. The guy is only 26 I believe and plays all 3 outfield positions plus middle infield. He'd be incredibly valuable off the bench as a 4th OF and right handed pinch hitter which is something we don't have.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)
Me likey, I've always had a soft spot for Chris Burke. The guy is only 26 I believe and plays all 3 outfield positions plus middle infield. He'd be incredibly valuable off the bench as a 4th OF and right handed pinch hitter which is something we don't have.

I win.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)

Looking back, it never occured to me that Pablo is our only RH pinch hitter of the bench with such versitility.

If he is picked up, who would be shut out? Gload?

Hmm, he does terrible against righties (.235, .313, .375) and outdoors (.259, .325, .374) so I don't know if he'd be the best pinch-hitter.

But he has done great at the Cell, albeit only 13 ABs, so it means nothing.

I don't see his fielding stats right now, so I don't know about that.

I'm not sure if this would be that good of a pickup.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 06:04 PM)
Hmm, he does terrible against righties (.235, .313, .375) and outdoors (.259, .325, .374) so I don't know if he'd be the best pinch-hitter.

But he has done great at the Cell, albeit only 13 ABs, so it means nothing.

I don't see his fielding stats right now, so I don't know about that.

I'm not sure if this would be that good of a pickup.

It would be a great pickup, Chris Burke has only started 133 games in his career, that's not even a full season. This guy has some great upside and would fit this team quite well. As of right now the Sox don't have a single player on the 25 man roster outside of Brian Anderson who can play CF, that's a serious problem if Ozzie feels the need to pinch hit for him in the 7th/8th inning of games. Chris Burke would be the second right handed bat off the bench and would be a legit CF to backup BA.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 11:04 PM)

Yeah, I'm sure Chris Burke looks up to the sky and, when he doesn't see a roof, knows it's going to be an 0-for for that day... :rolly

I like Burke a lot. He reminds me of a younger, right handed Mackowiak. Their numbers are very similar this year. Although Mackowiak has a slightly higher AVG (.309 Vs .296) and OBP (.396 Vs .374), Burke has more extra base hits (11 Vs 22) more RBIs (14 Vs 24) more SBs (2 Vs 6) and a higher OPS (.803 Vs .854). At 26, and only making $365,000 this year, I would love to see Burke in a Sox uniform. The only problem is that Burke sports a career .686 Zone Rating in CF which is scary when you consider that Mackowiak's is .809. But Burke has been serviceable at all of his other positions (2b, LF, RF). If Burke can be had reasonably, Kenny better get him.

Edited by pierard

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 06:13 PM)
Yeah, I'm sure Chris Burke looks up to the sky and, when he doesn't see a roof, knows it's going to be an 0-for for that day... :rolly

You'd have to ask him that.

Those are just the stats. Small sample size, I know, but they are still the stats.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
You'd have to ask him that.

Those are just the stats. Small sample size, I know, but they are still the stats.

Okay, well, when you prove that there's any predictive value in a guy hitting indoors or outdoors, then I'll put some credence into your 'stats'.

Mmkay?

Damn, I've been real snarky lately... Sorry about that, everyone.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 06:34 PM)
Okay, well, when you prove that there's any predictive value in a guy hitting indoors or outdoors, then I'll put some credence into your 'stats'.

Mmkay?

Damn, I've been real snarky lately... Sorry about that, everyone.

LOL. It's alright, man. I was thinking the same thing you were. I just chose not to respond.

I like Burke, but I'd be stunned if the Astros traded him. He's there long-term starter at 2nd base once Biggio finally retires.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 12:35 AM)
why would the astros who just added Huff want to trade Burke or Qualls.

They wouldn't.

QUOTE(T R U @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:12 PM)
he is my favorite player on the Astros not named Wily Tavares

Man, how can you like him? He's worse than how Podsednik is viewed on this board, and thats saying something.

I'll take him.. easily.. :) They can give us that Lidge guy too, and put him in that set-up role with Coop working with him to get his s*** together. BMac-Riske-Thornton-Cotts-Lidge-Jenks.. *drool*

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 06:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha. Great post.

I love when people try and say "_______ is 5-67 against the Red Sox in his career, he's not going to perform well today";

...As if that at-bat nine years ago against Mark Portugal has any effect on what he's going to do today.

The guy's a former first round pick, he's still real young, gets on base effectively, has a little speed, and can play all over the field. He'd be an excellent upgrade over Brian Anderson, even with this recent surge of his.