White Sox scouting Chris Burke of the Astros?

RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
The guy's a former first round pick, he's still real young, gets on base effectively, has a little speed, and can play all over the field. He'd be an excellent upgrade over Brian Anderson, even with this recent surge of his.

Ugh. Did you read the post about his defense?

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 11:06 PM)
Do you really think Huff is going to play the rest of the season at 3B when Ensberg gets back from the DL and have Ensberg on the bench?

Yes.

Ensberg has been terrible lately, Huff will cut into his 3B time.. thats almost a fa sho

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 08:24 PM)
Man, how can you like him? He's worse than how Podsednik is viewed on this board, and thats saying something.

Because I like him?

I dont care how people view Podsednik on the boards, a lot of people are going overboard with it Pods is actually doing better than last season

I just like Wily Tavares, I like watching him in the field and I love the speed.. hes a good player, I do not care what others think about him

QUOTE(T R U @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 12:16 AM)
Yes.

Ensberg has been terrible lately, Huff will cut into his 3B time.. thats almost a fa sho

Because I like him?

Especially how bad defensively that Huff is at 3B? They both will be in the lineup once Ensberg gets his swing back after his DL stint.

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
Especially how bad defensively that Huff is at 3B? They both will be in the lineup once Ensberg gets his swing back after his DL stint.

Ensberg has been hittin in the very low .220s since may.. that cant all be contributed to his injury.. hes not getting the job done and I think Huff plays adequete enough defense to allow him to play third a lot while also playing other positions in the lineup.

The Astros already have 3 automatic outs in the lineup in Ausmus, Everett, and the Pitcher.. they cant afford to keep a slumping Ensberg in there

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 13, 2006 -> 10:55 PM)

This would only make sense as part of a larger package, that would swap Burke and Mackowiak [who are near images of each other, very versatile type utility players] with guys like Chad Qualls and Javier Vazquez.

Houston is last in the NL in BA, OBP and SLg vs RHP [but very strong vs LHP--5th in avg, 2nd in OBP, and 3rd in SLG]. Burke's splits vs RHP are poor, but strong vs LHP. Mackowiak's splits vs LHP are poor, but very strong vs RHP. The astros would be very familiar w/ Mack from his days at Pitt.

Would a basic deal of Burke and Qualls for Mack and Javy work? I don't know. Houston is known to gamble and go for it [beltran deal], and may see a window to win w/ Clemens near the end of his career. But if the sox could get a decent 5th SP [like Tony Armas--will be a FA after this yr] why not.

Another fit for Rob Machowiak, San Diego.

Vinny Castilla currently has a .582 OPS and his would be replacement Mark Bellhorn only has a .701 OPS with a .199 BA.

The price? How bout a reliever like Scott Cassidy? Just got demoted to AAA despite having a 2.79 ERA with a 42/17 K/BB ratio. This is only his 3rd full season in the majors as well which helps arbitration / contract wise.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 06:04 AM)

Vinny Castilla currently has a .582 OPS and his would be replacement Mark Bellhorn only has a .701 OPS with a .199 BA.

The price? How bout a reliever like Scott Cassidy? Just got demoted to AAA despite having a 2.79 ERA with a 42/17 K/BB ratio. This is only his 3rd full season in the majors as well which helps arbitration / contract wise.

:o

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:04 AM)

Another thing about all this--both Mack and JAvy are new guys. Trading them wouldn't affect the chemistry built in 2005.

Another thing about all this--both Mack and JAvy are new guys. Trading them wouldn't affect the chemistry built in 2005.

2005 chemistry has nothing to do with this year. It's a new group, new year, new chemistry.

The White Sox are looking to add pieces, not trade starting pitching or key depth. They don't want to move sideways.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 12:15 PM)
2005 chemistry has nothing to do with this year. It's a new group, new year, new chemistry.

The White Sox are looking to add pieces, not trade starting pitching or key depth. They don't want to move sideways.

I guess you didn't read this morning's papers. :D Vazquez for a top bullpen guy [and moving BMac to the rotation] IMO wouldn't be a sideways move. BMac should be able to better Javy's numbers and Qualls should step right in where Bmac was inconsistent. And if Mackowiak wasn't all he was cracked up to be [not the best CFer-has played little at 2b or 3b], getting a guy like Burke could be an improvement

My main point about chemistry is that Vazquez doesn't have a long history with the sox. His leaving after a 1/2 yr wouldn't affect the players like a Freddy, Garland, etc. moving could. These guys build relationships, they aren't robots.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 08:30 AM)
I guess you didn't read this morning's papers. :D Vazquez for a top bullpen guy [and moving BMac to the rotation] IMO wouldn't be a sideways move. BMac should be able to better Javy's numbers and Qualls should step right in where Bmac was inconsistent. And if Mackowiak wasn't all he was cracked up to be [not the best CFer-has played little at 2b or 3b], getting a guy like Burke could be an improvement

My main point about chemistry is that Vazquez doesn't have a long history with the sox. His leaving after a 1/2 yr wouldn't affect the players like a Freddy, Garland, etc. moving could. These guys build relationships, they aren't robots.

The article also mentioned Garcia as a guy who is very available. I don't know how he is in the clubhouse, but he has shown up teammates at least twice on the field this season. That and the fact that Buerhle throws harder than him at this point may be a couple reasons why he's available.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
The article also mentioned Garcia as a guy who is very available. I don't know how he is in the clubhouse, but he has shown up teammates at least twice on the field this season. That and the fact that Buerhle throws harder than him at this point may be a couple reasons why he's available.

I could see Garcia go. It would be interesting to see if one of them does get their walking papers and who comes bakc in return.

Well we'll see what happens but shipping out starting pitching goes against everything KW and Guillen have discussed. Of course anything can happen but they have always said starting pitching is key. I don't think they chased Vazquez for 3-4 years only to give up on him after 1/2 season.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 09:23 AM)
Well we'll see what happens but shipping out starting pitching goes against everything KW and Guillen have discussed. Of course anything can happen but they have always said starting pitching is key. I don't think they chased Vazquez for 3-4 years only to give up on him after 1/2 season.

i think garcia, by far, is the more likely to get shipped, supposedly in ken rosenthalls newest article it says that some in teh sox organization feel like vazquez is primed to have the best second half of any of hteir pitchers

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 02:27 PM)
i think garcia, by far, is the more likely to get shipped, supposedly in ken rosenthalls newest article it says that some in teh sox organization feel like vazquez is primed to have the best second half of any of hteir pitchers

I'm thinking the same. Esp with the extra innings Freddy has logged in '05. It might be a case of trading Freddy now before he pulls a Loaiza. Vazquez' arm and stuff are very, very good, even his BB/ K rate. It's more a mental thing with Javy. Freddy just seems to be struggling more this yr

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 03:16 PM)
I would love to get Burke.

I wouldn't mind trading Garcia or Vazquez, but I really don't want to trade Mackowiak. Are they actually considering that?

I was speculating that because that MLB guy said the sox were scouting Burke. It wouldn't make any sense to get him and keep Mack. Besides, the Astros have trouble vs RHP. and the sox trouble vs LHp