Nice A.J. article

KevHead0881

Sometimes I enjoy the national perspective of things, just for something different. Anyways, it was cool to see a positive perspective nationally on our favorite catcher...

Loving or Hating the Bad Boy of the White Sox

By JACK CURRY

A. J. Pierzynski insisted he was innocent, innocent of everything that has made him a baseball villain everywhere except in parts of Chicago. Whatever he supposedly said, however he allegedly acted and whomever he purportedly angered, Pierzynski called the charges untrue. His hand did not rest on a Bible before he spoke.

Pierzynski, the quick-talking, quick-witted catcher for the Chicago White Sox, may be the most disliked player in the major leagues because of the self-indulgent way that he sometimes acts. He does subtle things, tiny but annoying things, to unnerve opponents, trumpet himself or his team and, in turn, agitate fans.

So Pierzynski may talk with hitters to try and distract them or jabber with umpires to try and steal a few calls or pump his fist like a pro wrestler to try and invigorate the White Sox. If Pierzynski thinks he can do something, anything, to snatch an edge, he will do it and not care who he aggravates.

“I think a lot of it is hype,” Pierzynski said. “Like I’ve said all along, anything I do, whether it’s right or wrong, gets blown up 10 times bigger than what it is. It’s just because of the mystique and the reputation.”

When Pierzynski, 29, brings his self-described mystique to Yankee Stadium tonight, he will arrive as one of the most renowned players on the White Sox, the defending World Series champions. He has a ring on his finger and is on a team that is a sounder choice than the Yankees to win another title.

Pierzynski is not the best player on the White Sox. Not even close. Not when he is surrounded by Paul Konerko, Jim Thome, Joe Crede and Jermaine Dye. But Pierzynski is an All-Star and, in a reality television sort of way, he might be watched more than any player in Chicago. Stay tuned, for Pierzynski is solid and smart and bound to do something compelling before the next commercial.

“I wish people would understand that every time I walk on the field, not only people in the stands but every camera is looking for me to do something so someone can write a story about what I did that I wasn’t supposed to do,” said Pierzynski, who spoke this week at the All-Star Game in Pittsburgh. “That gets tiring after a while.”

Presumably, that meant Pierzynski longs to be as anonymous as Chris Widger, his backup. Well, maybe not. Less than 30 seconds after saying that the attention could be wearing, Pierzynski said that being scrutinized “can be a positive and you can use it to your advantage to get your name out there” and get voted to the All-Star team.

Pierzynski was the final player added to the American League squad, voted in by fans on the Internet after batting .320 with 6 homers and 29 runs batted in during the first half of the season. Winning that popularity contest was a coup for someone who provoked Cubs fans into tossing garbage on the field after he hit a game-turning home run in Wrigley Field on July 1.

“He’s so emotional that it comes out on the field,” said Bobby Jenks, the White Sox’ closer. “He looks like a bad boy, but that’s just him.”

Cincinnati Reds pitcher Bronson Arroyo said that even as a boy, Pierzynski was a feisty player whose obsession was winning. Arroyo knows because he and Pierzynski were 13-year-old teammates on a Pony League team in Brooksville, Fla.

Arroyo pitched and played shortstop while Pierzynski caught and pitched. If the Pierzynski haters think his act is irksome now, with his endless facial expressions and his vigorous hand-clapping detailing his various moods, imagine him as an adrenaline-pumping youngster.

“He’s had the same personality,” Arroyo said, “since he was 12.”

Gus Arroyo, Bronson’s father, coached the team and most of the practices were on the field he built in his three and a half acre yard. Some of the parents accused Gus Arroyo of being a drill sergeant, but he said Pierzynski embraced every draining session.

“A. J. was one of the kids that would never complain and would just work harder,” Gus Arroyo said. “I always felt that attribute was something that he had going for him.”

Of course, Gus Arroyo recalled that Pierzynski was a pest, too.

“Put it this way,” he said, “he knew how to get under the skin of the opposition back then. I think that’s part of who he is.”

In Pierzynski’s world, there is one way: A. J.’s distinctive way. Earlier this month, at U.S. Cellular Field, White Sox Manager Ozzie Guillen and Pierzynski were discussing the etiquette of retaliating with beanballs. Even though Guillen and Pierzynski were in a room that was off-limits to reporters, their voices spilled into the clubhouse.

After hearing Pierzynski, Guillen, who never encounters a conversation that he cannot handle, said, “Don’t start with me. I’m having a good day. It’s too early.”

Pierzynski’s teammates laud him for his durability (he has averaged 131 games the last four seasons), his defense (his 150-game errorless streak ended in May) and his offense (he has a .290 career average). The 6-foot-3-inch, 235-pound catcher has a power hitter’s body, but he does not provide a power hitter’s production.

Konerko said that five or six years ago, Pierzynski used to do “stuff that was a little bit outside the norm that was kind of annoying.” But Konerko thinks Pierzynski has tempered his behavior.

“He shows up to play every day,” Konerko said. “A lot of guys who are the nicest guys in the world show up and take a day off.”

Thome said he used to wonder about Pierzynski’s mannerisms, but now that he is Pierzynski’s teammate, he wonders no more.

“When you’re around him, you understand he’s a winner,” Thome said. “Is he going to tick people off? Yeah. Why? I don’t know. That’s maybe his reputation.”

Pierzynski has a reputation for being the guy involved in everything. He is the guy Michael Barrett, the Cubs’ catcher, punched after Pierzynski collided with Barrett at the plate earlier this season. He is the guy who hustled to first base on a third strike that the Angels’ catcher, Josh Paul, seemingly caught, which led to the decisive run in a American League Championship Series game last October. He is the guy some San Francisco Giants disparaged after he spent one season with the team.

When Pierzynski was asked to name the biggest misconception about him, he said, “I don’t know. Everything that’s out there is out there.”

In the Bronx this weekend, Pierzynski might find a kindred soul in Alex Rodriguez, whose ears ring as much as his do.

“You feel bad for Alex because he can’t win,” Pierzynski said. “He’s probably the best player in the game and he can’t win because the expectations he deals with are unreachable.”

Apparently, there is mutual respect between these players, who are loathed as much as they are loved.

“A. J.’s a winner,” Rodriguez said. “He’s kind of like a throwback to the Boston Celtics’ teams. Kind of hate him from the outside, but once he’s on your team, you love him.”

Pierzynski is vilified so routinely that he said he dealt with the abuse by laughing. He sounded more relaxed than resigned when he said, “It’s my life and I’m stuck with it and I’ll try to make the best of it.”

At that moment, his hand should have been resting on a Bible.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 03:55 AM)
the NY times sports guys are amazing. what a sensible, interesting article.

In general, the NY Times is one of the greatest daily periodicals in the world. The Chicago papers are an embarrasment, especially wehen compared to the Times. If I am not mistaken, it is one of the few, if not the only, paper written at an 8th grade level of reading. I think the Chicago press is all at a 4th or 5th grade level. That is not a joke, it is done deliberately, supposedly to maximize circulation. Anyway, I really need to cancel my Trib subscription and start getting the Times again. The local tilt just isn't worth it, especially when I can get the business news I really need off the web.

I liked this:

Cincinnati Reds pitcher Bronson Arroyo said that even as a boy, A.J. Pierzynski was a feisty player whose obsession was winning. Arroyo knows because he and Pierzynski were 13-year-old teammates on a Pony League team in Brooksville, Fla. Arroyo pitched and played shortstop while Pierzynski caught and pitched. If the Pierzynski haters think his act is irksome now, with his endless facial expressions and his vigorous hand-clapping detailing his various moods, imagine him as an adrenaline-pumping youngster. “He’s had the same personality,” Arroyo said, “since he was 12.”

QUOTE(Beltin @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:48 AM)
In general, the NY Times is one of the greatest daily periodicals in the world. The Chicago papers are an embarrasment, especially wehen compared to the Times. If I am not mistaken, it is one of the few, if not the only, paper written at an 8th grade level of reading. I think the Chicago press is all at a 4th or 5th grade level. That is not a joke, it is done deliberately, supposedly to maximize circulation. Anyway, I really need to cancel my Trib subscription and start getting the Times again. The local tilt just isn't worth it, especially when I can get the business news I really need off the web.

The NYT is liberal rag.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 02:48 AM)
I wish the chicago media could be as classy. Great read.

That was a very entertaining piece. Entertaining and informative I might add. Note there were was nothing implied. Facts werent glossed over. Myths werent regurgitated. This article could NEVER have been written by a Chicago sportswriter. Rick "those were cub fans at the WS Parade" Morrissey? No. Carol "lets pick Yankees/Cubs WS rotations in March" Sleazak? Uh-uh. Mike "Im the Cubs parttime GM" Kiley? Definitely not. Im very surprised that the writer went to great lengths to write a GOOD article instead of taking the LAZY WAY OUT and re-hashing everything thats already out there (hes a villain/bum/instigator)

Isnt the NY Times one of the papers owned by the Tribune Entertainment Corporation? or is that the LA Times im thinking of?