Hawk and DJ

JoeBatterz

A local sports radio station here in Nashville must have spent 10 minutes during their weekly baseball feature just ripping mostly Hawk and once in a while DJ. The 3 guys who host the show are 2 Brave fans and 1 Red fan.

I give them credit for being in Nashville and actually following baseball and they all have the MLB package through Comcast. Most of the time it is all SEC football year round.

Essentially, they were saying that Hawk and DJ are the most unprepared guys in the business and that they do not bring any insights to the game. The most Hawk will do is talk about the hitters and who they remind him of when he plays and maybe look at the hand position of the batter. They felt they never commented on anything to do with the pitchers or any type of strategy and they were mocking all of Hawk's signature phrases. They painted them both as cheerleaders who go nuts when their team does well like now, but who make excuses and blame the umps when things go bad.

Interesting note: They had a baseball expert on who does seem to know more than all of them combined. This guy said that Ed Farmer was a friend of his and that Farmer did a few auditions with Hawk and that Farmer told him that he did not get the job because he actually prepared for the broadcast and too many times he would throw out some good points and Hawk was upset that it got in the way of his story telling and talking about his golf game that day. Hawk never wanted to do any pre-game prep or anything. That is why Farmer ended up on the radio instead.

This came up as they had been talking about the Red-Nats trade of yesterday and they started talking about the Nats broadcasting team and they were ripping on Paciorek for talking about everything but the game. Their expert than said Tom was nowhere as bad as when he was in Chicago with Hawk Harralson and then he told the story about Farmer thinking Hawk was an idiot and so on...

Two things: From a factual standpoint, they were pretty dead-on with their description of Hawk and DJ. Since we are kicking ass, I like having a homer in the booth. Ask me again once this run is over. :gosox1:

Secondly, they have a play-by-play guy down here named Mike Keith who does the Titans. He is just like Hawk in that he LOVES him some Titans when things are going well and since they suck now, he has a 1000 reasons why the team is still good. Plus he works for this station that was ripping Hawk.

In other words, Pot meet Kettle.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 08:56 AM)
Was this George Plaster's radio show in Nashville?

That dude couldn't even hang on to the Vandy play-by-play job.

Nuff said.

It was the Plaster show, but he is out with a voice problem. George is now doing the Georgia Tech football games. Plaster would not say anything negative about anybody. He practically wears knee pads every time he interviews any local sports guy.

I have learned so much about baseball from Hawk Harrelson. And yet he has still forgotten more than I'll ever know.

DJ has gotten A LOT better in the last couple years. But when he isn't with Hawk (on FOX broadcasts) he is a really really good announcer. I think he's intimidated by the Hawkeroo.

With that said, they are far from the worst.

Well, I am not certain about what these guys said, but this does seem to pretty much be the consensus opinion around the nation, among baseball fans. Apparently our feed is the one used the majority of the time on mlbn.com as well as on the extra innings package. I normally peruse the opposing team's message boards while we are playing them, and without fail, there sprouts up a thread about how horrible Hawk & the DJ are. They are often described as "the worst in the league, or if not, the second worst behind the YES network guys (especially Michael Kay).

Thing is, I could give a s***.

Hawk and DJ's broadcast is meant to appeal to the average White Sox fan, not some opposing team's out-of-market fans. I understand they are also on WGN, which is a national station, but Harry Caray's drunken unprofessionalism never seemed to draw the wrath and ire of the opposing fans as Hawk does.

I imagine it has something to do with the recent success of the WS, as these complaints were less and less numerous a few years ago.

Finally, Farmio has his silly stories he tells as well. While Hawk might be pleasuring himself during the game to the good ole' days with Yaz', Farmio never stops telling us that Brian Daubach likes strawberry ice cream, or that Jon Garland went to high school with Garrett Anderson (which is right by where he lives).

I don't understand when people slam Hawk/DJ what it is they're supposed to be doing that they're not.

Never at any time am I watching a broadcast and thinking: I need more statistical analysis here.

Granted, Hawk obviously loves to talk about himself and his days in the game, which I understand can be annoying to some. DJ, however, has shown when he co-hosts on FOX that he can be very lively and informed (even if that's not his role with Hawk).

But to whom, exactly, are we supposed to be comparing them?

Yes, Hawk is obviously a homer but what do you want in your local TV guy? Sterile, third-person unbiased perspective? The Cubs guys are just as much homers as Hawk and DJ are.

And for all the talk about blaming the umps, I was watching that Red Sox game last Sunday and yes: it appeared that Schilling's strike zone was MUCH wider than ours.

Whatever. I like Hawk and DJ. They're not perfect, but they're good enough for me. And to me, nothing compares to "You can put it on the boooooooooooard..... YYYYYES!"

So there.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:30 AM)
Wait a second, broadcasters in Tennessee are talking about the White Sox? Who cares what they're saying, this is actually great news. Hate us all you want, just give us the damn coverage!

Believe me, I appreciated it. I just could not get through their phone lines to give them my 2 cents. Too many Brave fans complaining about their bullpen ahead of me.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:32 AM)
White Sox hatred has sky-rocketed since last year...I luv it. :)

At first it kinda bothered me that people hated the White Sox so much...but then I realized why....yeah nobody really knows why they hate the White Sox. It's because they're good and not a cute and cuddly team. Now I love being the team everyone hates. It's kinda fun.