Hawk and DJ

JoeBatterz

i realize that Hawk and DJ are definately both incredible homers but I think they do actually make the game more interesting to watch. I enjoy their catch phrases as well. There has to be a reason why they are allowed to stay on the air in such a large market, people must enjoy what theyre doing. I would definately rather have people that are fans of the team anouncing then typical ESPN type "alegid" baseball experts. They definmately have chemistry between the two of them or it might not work at all.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 02:25 PM)
They are often described as "the worst in the league, or if not, the second worst behind the YES network guys (especially Michael Kay).

People don't like the YES network crew? I've had the Extra Innings package for several years now and I think they're pretty top notch. Other crews I've enjoyed are the Rangers, Tigers (except for the play-by-play man's slick voice), and Mariners. The worst has been the Twins and Angels. Especially the Angels. Hudler is f***ing awful.

I'm curious how much longer Hawk will stick around. I'm assuming he's got an open invitation from JR to stick around as long as he'd like given JR's loyalty and how Hawk has defended the franchise against the likes of Mariotti. But at the rate he's going, in 10 years he's going to turn into a joke like Harry Carey's last few years.

I guess if I were to concede criticism of Hawk it would be:

a) He's old, and it shows. Even moreso when he launches into his back-in-my-day stories, which can wear after a while

B) He's a redneck

c) Everybody loves to nail him for yelling "STRETCH! STRETCH!" on any ball anywhere near the warning track.

I could go on, but it's still not enough for me to dislike him. I was at the game last week and sat pretty much under the booth behind home plate. I don't know if they do it every game (I'm usually in the outfield) but during the 7th him and DJ were hurling t-shirts out into the crowd. Hawk was having a great time.

So I really can't get that worked up about him. Other teams are perfectly entitled to have whomever they want. We have Hawk and DJ, and we'll keep 'em, thanks.

Can you imagine what the World Series calls would have been like if it had been Hawk and DJ?

OMG Hawk would have blown an o-ring when Pods hit that homer...

Edited by LVSoxFan

Also, I think Hawk and DJ could get a younger audience to root for the Sox. Think about it. If you're a little kid, you want to get into the game. You get that with Hawk and DJ because they are completely biased. When I think about it, Hawk is probably a huge reason I enjoy the Sox so much.

And I do like being the Oakland Raiders of the MLB.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 12:31 PM)
Also, I think Hawk and DJ could get a younger audience to root for the Sox. Think about it. If you're a little kid, you want to get into the game. You get that with Hawk and DJ because they are completely biased. When I think about it, Hawk is probably a huge reason I enjoy the Sox so much.

What you said! :cheers

Here's another thing: because they're such homers, have you ever had the experience where you're just tuning in and you can tell just by the sound of their voices whether we're winning or losing? I had that again last week. The moment DJ opened his mouth I was like: s***. We must be behind.

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)
People don't like the YES network crew? I've had the Extra Innings package for several years now and I think they're pretty top notch. Other crews I've enjoyed are the Rangers, Tigers (except for the play-by-play man's slick voice), and Mariners. The worst has been the Twins and Angels. Especially the Angels. Hudler is f***ing awful.

I'm curious how much longer Hawk will stick around. I'm assuming he's got an open invitation from JR to stick around as long as he'd like given JR's loyalty and how Hawk has defended the franchise against the likes of Mariotti. But at the rate he's going, in 10 years he's going to turn into a joke like Harry Carey's last few years.

You know what bothers me about the Yes network crew? Derek Jeter could hit a walk off home run in the 18th inning, and he'd get exactly the same "See ya" as Chris Widger would if he were to hit a 3 run home run off of Randy Johnson. They really know that they have a lot of non NY fans watching. It'd be nice to at least have a little bit of home-teamer ism thrown in there.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 12:31 PM)

We are far from being the Oakand Raiders of the MLB. I did not realize how much the Yankees were hated until I moved from Chicago.

That being said. I like being #2, we try harder. Give us a few more titles and we will take over.

:gosox2:

I hate having to make the comparison between Hawk and Harry Caray but its the closest thing I can think of. Hawk might be a homer but he still does have an idea of whats going on in the game and has knowledge. I can recall hearing Harry shoot off the most insane stats that werent even close to the truth. I dont mind hearinghomers announce. I suppose I could see how it would get annoying being a fan of the opponent and having to watch it.

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)

Pipe...the Rangers team...SUCKS!!! Josh Lewin and the other guy are great for insomnia. Put me right to sleep! Seriously...not so good.

QUOTE(sti3 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 08:56 AM)
DJ is very prepared and knows the whole league. Easy to be a hater when you're on sports radio in Nashville, TN. I don't hate him like others, but I don't want Farmer on TV.

you have the best sig i've ever seen on this site.

:cheers

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
I hope everybody learns to hate the White Sox as much as they hate the Yankees.

oh man, that would be sweet

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)
I like having the announcers on the same side as us

better than Chris Berman

exactly.

I like listening to another sox fan call the game for me. When the sox piss me off, hawk's pissed off, etc.

If you're not a sox fan, I can see why you'd hate hawk, but for sox fans, you can't ask for anything better, at least in my opinion.

DJ is ok, and I don't mind Hawk being a massive homer too much (after all he's supposed to be!) I just find his apparent distate for other teams and complete silence when they do good things annoying.

The YES network guys seem pretty good, although I agree that the See Ya homerun call sucks.

Edit; Chris Berman should stick to football.

Edited by loltrain

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 07:25 AM)
Well, I am not certain about what these guys said, but this does seem to pretty much be the consensus opinion around the nation, among baseball fans. Apparently our feed is the one used the majority of the time on mlbn.com as well as on the extra innings package. I normally peruse the opposing team's message boards while we are playing them, and without fail, there sprouts up a thread about how horrible Hawk & the DJ are. They are often described as "the worst in the league, or if not, the second worst behind the YES network guys (especially Michael Kay).

Thing is, I could give a s***.

Hawk and DJ's broadcast is meant to appeal to the average White Sox fan, not some opposing team's out-of-market fans. I understand they are also on WGN, which is a national station, but Harry Caray's drunken unprofessionalism never seemed to draw the wrath and ire of the opposing fans as Hawk does.

I imagine it has something to do with the recent success of the WS, as these complaints were less and less numerous a few years ago.

Finally, Farmio has his silly stories he tells as well. While Hawk might be pleasuring himself during the game to the good ole' days with Yaz', Farmio never stops telling us that Brian Daubach likes strawberry ice cream, or that Jon Garland went to high school with Garrett Anderson (which is right by where he lives).

The Yanks broadcasting crew is very good, in fact I'd call it top notch. I think in general opposing team fans wouldn't like hawk and DJ because they obviously favor the Sox and thats probably a problem but they are some of the best in the biz compared to some of the crap I've listened to on Xtra innings.

I just subscribed to MLB.com, so I will get to hear different announcers. Should be interesting.

Major dislike about Harrelson and DJ, is the constant " education " on baseball. Makes it feel like a lecture instead of a ball game is taking place. Maybe if this were my first baseball game I would feel different, but the constant explanations drives me nutz.