Will the Local Media Shut Up about the Cubs

If I had to guess, even when we're in an exciting tight race with the Tigers for the best record in the Majors, and on a quest to repeat as World Champions, the Cubs will get just as much coverage as the Sox. The local media needs to stop covering the Cubs, everything's been discussed to death, Dusty's here to stay, and not much is going to change. But can you imagine if they go on a ten game winning streak?

All the attention should be focused on the White Sox in these next 3-4 months. The Sox SHOULD be the huge story in Chicago right now. The Cubs deserve to be ignored by the media!

IF it was the other way around, and the Cubs were on their way to repeat with the 2nd best record in MLB, and the Sox were the 2nd worse team in baseball, the Cubs would always be the top story and once in a blue moon they'd mention if the Sox won or lost. I'm sick of hearing about the Cubs and having them overshadow the Sox.. it seems like the more they lose, the more they're covered and the more popular they get.. and the more we hear "Ohhh, the Cubs boast the most dedicated fans in all of sports". Just because tourists pack their dump of a ballpark every day does not mean Cub fans are dedicated.. I'm annoyed by it and I'm sure a lot of Sox fans and Sox players are too.

Im thinking NO WAY. The Dusty thing is going to be the bigger story down the stretch ..........

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 08:58 AM)
Who cares.

Someone actually said that last nite on the "me show". Holmes spent quite a bit of time talking about whats wrong with the Cubs and will Dusty be here, and a fan called and said "Who Cares", lets talk about the SOX. Pretty Funny.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 08:58 AM)
Who cares.

Just because you don't doesn't mean everyone doesn't.

I think the attention will draw farther and farther away from the Cubs as the 2nd half goes on. But next week, when they're mathematically eliminated (hehe), the Sox/Tigers will get most of the attention. They can only milk this Fire Dusty/What's wrong with the Cubs thing for so long.

Edited by SoxFan76

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:38 AM)
Just because you don't doesn't mean everyone doesn't.

I think the attention will draw farther and farther away from the Cubs as the 2nd half goes on. But next week, when they're mathematically eliminated (hehe), the Sox/Tigers will get most of the attention. They can only milk this Fire Dusty/What's wrong with the Cubs thing for so long.

rowands point is why does it matter?

does it really bother you that much?

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:50 AM)
rowands point is why does it matter?

does it really bother you that much?

I never understood why people care what idiot sportswriters think. It has absolutley nothing to do with what happens on the field so what's the point of even paying attention? Anywho, I'm kind of surprised that people who care about the media so much are even Sox fans to begin with.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 10:55 AM)
I never understood why people care what idiot sportswriters think. It has absolutley nothing to do with what happens on the field so what's the point of even paying attention? Anywho, I'm kind of surprised that people who care about the media so much are even Sox fans to begin with.

Hey, I ain't going to lose any sleep over it, but I like being able to read up on stuff about the Sox. Instead it's all fluff, all the time. When the national media is more fair to the Sox than the local CHICAGO media...well that's pretty messed up.

QUOTE(SouthSidePride05 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 08:56 AM)
If I had to guess, even when we're in an exciting tight race with the Tigers for the best record in the Majors, and on a quest to repeat as World Champions, the Cubs will get just as much coverage as the Sox. The local media needs to stop covering the Cubs, everything's been discussed to death, Dusty's here to stay, and not much is going to change. But can you imagine if they go on a ten game winning streak?

All the attention should be focused on the White Sox in these next 3-4 months. The Sox SHOULD be the huge story in Chicago right now. The Cubs deserve to be ignored by the media!

People are intrigued with disasters. Trainwrecks, car crashes, war, mayem, murder, chaos makes good news. How many times do you need to hear the radio/tv state, the sox are the bestest team that has ever been assembled. Watch the news, how many great good person stories are on there, now compare that to how many news stories are about a young man was shot 900 times in an apparant gang shooting. Now Jim smith with a breaking story on someone who fell off of a bridge.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 02:19 PM)
People are intrigued with disasters. Trainwrecks, car crashes, war, mayem, murder, chaos makes good news. How many times do you need to hear the radio/tv state, the sox are the bestest team that has ever been assembled. Watch the news, how many great good person stories are on there, now compare that to how many news stories are about a young man was shot 900 times in an apparant gang shooting. Now Jim smith with a breaking story on someone who fell off of a bridge.

But we all know if the Sox were the 3rd or 4th worst team in baseball that they'd get almost no coverage. Double standard.

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
they aren't going to alienate half there readers.

I'm not asking for 100% White Sox coverage. That would be hypocritical. But some fair articles like the Daily Southtown puts out would be nice. You know, ones that take some effort and talk about the team in a positive light.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I could care less if a newspaper in Chicago covers the Sox. All that should matter to the real fans is that trophy.

If you could care less, why don't you? :P

I'm interested in the Cubs only because I want to see the scraps Jim Hungry gets for all the guys he'll be shipping off.

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 12:44 PM)
I'm not asking for 100% White Sox coverage. That would be hypocritical. But some fair articles like the Daily Southtown puts out would be nice. You know, ones that take some effort and talk about the team in a positive light.

I think the Sox articles in both papers are incredibly fair. Which specific ones do you mean? :huh

Almost all the articles about the Cubs are negative, is this what you want?

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 03:26 PM)
I think the Sox articles in both papers are incredibly fair. Which specific ones do you mean? :huh

Almost all the articles about the Cubs are negative, is this what you want?

Articles that take thought. Not some about how AJ likes to get under people's skin or how Ozzie said something someone didn't like. How about an article on Brian Anderson? I can't think of specific examples right now. But some nice articles about how player A has come a long way and could really be a great player in the major leagues. Or Vazquez and how he's working hard to figure out what's wrong. Not "Sox pitchers struggling, will they regain form?"

FWIW, I've been very pleased with the amount of coverage the Sox have received this year. Today's Tribune Front page had 3 articles about the game. The Cubs were pushed to page 3 even though they won for once. I think if we are discussing pure number of articles, the Sox would be ahead of the Cubs. I have a hard time remembering the last time the Sox weren't on the front page of Tribune sports. If you are talking quality of the writing you have to take into account the season is 162 games long and how many "positive spin" pieces can you write (or would you really want to read)?? A brief note about Anderson pulling over the Mendoza line, or snippet about Ozzie Sensitivity classes are about all you need. Not everything is that print worthy.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 02:22 PM)
But we all know if the Sox were the 3rd or 4th worst team in baseball that they'd get almost no coverage. Double standard.

I don't mean to be snarky but...it's called life. This is what makes us Sox fans...we are the perpetual underdogs, the "leftover fans" in Chicago, the blue collar, hard-working, hold our team to a higher standard fan. It's not that Rowand or Heads don't care, it's that, what difference does it make.

Think of it this way...we make fun of David Hasselhoff for his crappy German/Australian videos and say, "Oh, he is a no-talent hack." But what does he do? He goes home to his mansion and rolls around in piles of money and says, "yeah...and?"

Seriously, next time everyone feels neglected or overlooked by the Chicago or even National Media...do a google search on 2005 World Series Champions and just smile.

How about an article on Brian Anderson?

There have been several lately, discussing how he's improved at the plate, with him crediting Walker and the veterans for helping him. :huh

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 05:20 PM)
There have been several lately, discussing how he's improved at the plate, with him crediting Walker and the veterans for helping him. :huh

I know it's "not cool" to talk about media bias around here, and I'll agree it's gotten a lot better. But honestly, what has there been to talk about on the north side? Fans throwing garbage on the field? That won't be blown up as much as it should because it's a negative story. As soon as something newsworthy comes out, it will be back to normal. I just hope you guys aren't comparing me to Hangar (no offense man, I loved the media watches, but other people didn't). I don't lose sleep over this stuff, and the only time I read the paper is at work on chicagosports.com. I don't watch ESPN either. I watch CSN, which is VERY fair to both teams.

It's good that nobody cares that the Sox are treated as 2nd class citizens, but to totally deny the fact that there is a bias is sort of ridiculous. I wasn't trying to make a big deal out of this..by the way.