Will the Local Media Shut Up about the Cubs

Fans throwing garbage on the field? That won't be blown up as much as it should because it's a negative story.

It's good that nobody cares that the Sox are treated as 2nd class citizens, but to totally deny the fact that there is a bias is sort of ridiculous. I wasn't trying to make a big deal out of this..by the way.

Pick up today's Sun Times, big story on the trash throwing.

The Sox aren't treated like 2nd class citizens, and the papers are catering to their readers, just like any other business. The chip-on-the-shoulder viewpoint on this is what's ridiculous.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 08:26 AM)
Pick up today's Sun Times, big story on the trash throwing.

The Sox aren't treated like 2nd class citizens, and the papers are catering to their readers, just like any other business. The chip-on-the-shoulder viewpoint on this is what's ridiculous.

I was talking the Tribune. Most people get the Trib...unfortunately.

When being a Sox fan either means a) you're a thug or b ) you're white trash, I'd say that's being treated like a 2nd class citizen.

They're catering to their readers, yes. But how did that all start? Resindorf played a big part in it, but you can't deny the fact that the Tribune also played a big role. The Cubs went from the laughing stock of baseball (minus 84) to the Cute and Cuddly team on the Northside. The Sox went from the USUALLY competitive team with a larger fan base to "those thugs and trailer trash on the southside". When a large media outlet owns your team...you're in good shape. Hangar can back me up on this, as he's more knowledgable on this subject, but unfortunately he can't say anything without being attacked by 4 different posters.

As for the chip on the shoulder viewpoint...I'm not a believer in sitting back and taking it. Ozzie apparently wasn't either when he went after Mariotti. And now Jay's been MIA for awhile.

But I've read more than a few of your posts now, Jim, and I know what's coming. You're going to answer with the complete opposite of everything I said, and the pattern repeats itself. So I'm done talking about this subject because it really doesn't bother me that much in the first place. I'm just stating the obvious.

Edited by SoxFan76

I was talking the Tribune. Most people get the Trib...unfortunately.

When being a Sox fan either means a) you're a thug or B) you're white trash, I'd say that's being treated like a 2nd class citizen.

They're catering to their readers, yes. But how did that all start? Resindorf played a big part in it, but you can't deny the fact that the Tribune also played a big role. The Cubs went from the laughing stock of baseball (minus 84) to the Cute and Cuddly team on the Northside. The Sox went from the USUALLY competitive team with a larger fan base to "those thugs and trailer trash on the southside". When a large media outlet owns your team...you're in good shape. Hangar can back me up on this, as he's more knowledgable on this subject, but unfortunately he can't say anything without being attacked by 4 different posters.

As for the chip on the shoulder viewpoint...I'm not a believer in sitting back and taking it. Ozzie apparently wasn't either when he went after Mariotti. And now Jay's been MIA for awhile.

But I've read more than a few of your posts now, Jim, and I know what's coming. You're going to answer with the complete opposite of everything I said, and the pattern repeats itself. So I'm done talking about this subject because it really doesn't bother me that much in the first place. I'm just stating the obvious.

You didn't say the Tribune at first, but hey, whatever.

I've read more than a few of your posts too, it's the same stuff over and over, along with a play by play of your latest WSI launchings. And then you come back to the media subject.

If you can't handle someone debating the merits of your posts, sorry. But then maybe stick to what you've said a couple of times ... that you're done talking about the media subject.

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 10:13 AM)
When being a Sox fan either means a) you're a thug or b ) you're white trash, I'd say that's being treated like a 2nd class citizen.

If that's what you're called, maybe you need some new friends.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 10:21 AM)
You didn't say the Tribune at first, but hey, whatever.

I've read more than a few of your posts too, it's the same stuff over and over, along with a play by play of your latest WSI launchings. And then you come back to the media subject.

If you can't handle someone debating the merits of your posts, sorry. But then maybe stick to what you've said a couple of times ... that you're done talking about the media subject.

No I didn't say the Tribune at first, but that's what I was referring to. My fault.

As for WSI, it's just me venting, I get it off my chest and I move on. I'm not saying it's right, that's why I usually stop myself and just drop it. Nobody wants to hear it anyways. The media subject, I do enjoy talking about it from time to time, but I was referring to this conversation in particular because I never meant to make a big deal out of it.

Of course I can handle somebody debating the merits of my posts. That's what I'm here for. But to argue about a subject I don't feel that strongly about...it's hard.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 10:26 AM)
If that's what you're called, maybe you need some new friends.

Oh, they're not friends of mine, it's stuff I hear randomly on the street. I hear it in baseball conversations throughout the season. And you think they have to get this material from somewhere...

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 10:27 AM)
Oh, they're not friends of mine, it's stuff I hear randomly on the street. I hear it in baseball conversations throughout the season. And you think they have to get this material from somewhere...

I've heard this specific to those that ARE white trash (ligue, etc), but not in general. Not generalizing or assuming is something I strongly believe in.