Garcia/Garland to the mets?

beautox

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 10:32 AM)
You know, this is funny, because supposedly, the Mets "refuse" to deal EVERYONE they have of any value whatsover. We have now heard the Mets will not deal Wright, Reyes, Milledge, Pelfrey, Sanchez, and now Heilman.

Well something's got to give. They've got to trade SOMEONE to get a starter back.

Who would they rather have. Rodrigo Freakin Lopez, who is just bad all the way around. Or Freddy Garcia who would be good against the NL.

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)
The Abreu developments are pretty stunning to me, if no reason other than the fact that Jim Duquette admitted last night that the Baltimore Sun had correctly reported that the Phillies and Orioles were actually discussing a deal which would send Rodrigo Lopez to the Phils for Bobby Abreu. He claimed the deal was "unlikely" however, because Abreu likely wouldn't waive his no trade clause to go to Baltimore without having his $16 million option picked up for 08'.

Then, you suddenly get wind that the Mets may be willing to part with Milledge for Abreu after all, which seems somewhat like offerring $1 million at an auction when the previous bidder bid $500. Strange.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
Who would they rather have. Rodrigo Freakin Lopez, who is just bad all the way around. Or Freddy Garcia who would be good against the NL.

I gotta think the Rodrigo Lopez stuff is bunk. There's just noone who's so stupid. Maybe a really dumb attempt to make the Yanks think a trade was coming soon, so hurry up and give us Hughes.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 10:45 AM)
I gotta think the Rodrigo Lopez stuff is bunk. There's just noone who's so stupid. Maybe a really dumb attempt to make the Yanks think a trade was coming soon, so hurry up and give us Hughes.

Yeah, you would think....the entire situation seems extremely odd to me.

Since when does a FO member go on the radio and admit that a newspaper has a trade rumor spot-on, before the deadline is even over? I mean, Kenny has been known to vaguely confirm some rumors AFTER the deadline passes. But Duquette said something, in a not saracastic tone, to the effect of, "Yes, I have to give credit to the Sun, because that story is correct. I don't know who their sources are, but that story is accurate."

Miguel Tejada and Melvin Mora both actually commented on how they would both love to have Abreu there in Baltimore as well.

Umm, bizarre? That almost seems like tampering...

Perhaps he was just f'ing with the Baltimore media...

Edited by iamshack

Some proposed deals don't seem to make sense for the Mets at the moment, including any trade involving the Phillies' Bobby Abreu. The Mets have expressed interest in getting a hitter with a high on-base percentage, but are not willing to deal a top prospect, particularly outfielder Lastings Milledge, as one report suggested. "Not going to happen," the person said.

Milledge, 21, learned harsh lessons during his promotion this season (showing up on time, no slapping hands with fans), but the team's decision-makers insist they haven't soured on him.

The Mets also don't want to mess with their bullpen, which hurts their chances of dealing for one of the White Sox starters - Freddy Garcia, Javier Vazquez, Jon Garland - or even Miguel Batista of the Diamondbacks. Once these teams are willing to start talking about second-tier prospects, that could change the Mets' thinking as the deadline draws closer.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/printedition...ny-sports-print

Sorry, I don't want anything to do with the Mets if we're not getting a bullpen piece. What the fish would be the point of trading for second-tier prospects when we're in a playoff race?

The only reason I can see us trading for prospects is to turn around and trade them for ML talent, but what the hell would we get for only second-tier prospects? The Mets don't seem like they really wanna do business.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 12:27 PM)
Sorry, I don't want anything to do with the Mets if we're not getting a bullpen piece. What the fish would be the point of trading for second-tier prospects when we're in a playoff race?

The only reason I can see us trading for prospects is to turn around and trade them for ML talent, but what the hell would we get for only second-tier prospects? The Mets don't seem like they really wanna do business.

They're just posturing.

Once they realize their crappy prospects won't get them anything, they will change their tune. They know that every AL contender mashed mediocre pitching, and they will get thumped in a hypothetical WS if they don't improve that rotation.