Garcia/Garland to the mets?

beautox

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 04:39 PM)
ah and what about BA's .190 average?

and the 4 walks are in what, 86 at bats? BA's had 182...

Milledge OBP: .287

Anderson OBP: .280

Brian Anderson is hitting .333 for July and about .250 or so for the past month. That's pretty damn good considering how great his defense is. You can keep pointing to his .190 batting average all you want but it means absolute s*** if you're not breaking it down. the guy sucked, hard, for 2 months this year. That absolutely crippled his stats for the season, that .190 BA is in no way, shape or form indicative of the way he's played for the past month or so.

Right now, there's no way you can say Milledge is s***loads better than Anderson, unless you have some secret stat I don't know of.

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)
Milledge OBP: .287

Anderson OBP: .280

Brian Anderson is hitting .333 for July and about .250 or so for the past month. That's pretty damn good considering how great his defense is. You can keep pointing to his .190 batting average all you want but it means absolute s*** if you're not breaking it down. the guy sucked, hard, for 2 months this year. That absolutely crippled his stats for the season, that .190 BA is in no way, shape or form indicative of the way he's played for the past month or so.

Right now, there's not way you can say Milledge is s***loads better than Anderson, unless you have some secret stat I don't know of.

he's 21, BA is 24. That two months BA sucked was MORE than the total amount of time Milledge was up this year. Who know's maybe he'd have gone on a tear too?

it may have been a bit over the top to say he's 's***loads' than BA right now, but given age, ability, upside blah blah blah, i'd take milledge over anderson in a heartbeat - even right now.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 04:45 PM)
he's 21, BA is 24. That two months BA sucked was MORE than the total amount of time Milledge was up this year. Who know's maybe he'd have gone on a tear too?

it may have been a bit over the top to say he's 's***loads' than BA right now, but given age, ability, upside blah blah blah, i'd take milledge over anderson in a heartbeat - even right now.

See, if you're going to take into account age and upside then you can't say Milldge is an upgrade over Anderson right now because those things have absolutely nothing to do with who the superiour player is currently. From what I saw of Milledge in his stint this year and from what Brian Anderson has done so far this season I'd say for the rest of '06 Brian Anderson is a much better fit for this team than Lastings Milledge.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 02:00 PM)
Well, first off, the velocity on his fastball has been totally exaggerated around here. He is NOT topping out at 85 or 86. He's usually around 87-89 with the ability to get it up to 91/92 when he wants. And, as has been mentioned, he does have 10 or 11 quality starts this year.

^^^

You don't need a 93+ mph fastball if you can throw a 72 mph hook for strikes. Garland's been throwing 92-94 mph all season, but is still getting shelled in about half of his starts because he can't locate his offspeed pitches.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 04:49 PM)
See, if you're going to take into account age and upside then you can't say Milldge is an upgrade over Anderson right now because those things have absolutely nothing to do with who the superiour player is currently. From what I saw of Milledge in his stint this year and from what Brian Anderson has done so far this season I'd say for the rest of '06 Brian Anderson is a much better fit for this team than Lastings Milledge.

ok but how can you say that... even if their numbers are completely equal why would you say you'd rather have a BA than a Milledge?

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
ok but how can you say that... even if their numbers are completely equal why would you say you'd rather have a BA than a Milledge?

For the rest of this year, I'll take the superior defense of Brian Anderson at the 1 or 2 most important defensive position on the field.

As for '07 and beyond, well that's another story but all we're discussing here is the 2006 season.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 04:49 PM)
^^^

You don't need a 93+ mph fastball if you can throw a 72 mph hook for strikes. Garland's been throwing 92-94 mph all season, but is still getting shelled in about half of his starts because he can't locate his offspeed pitches.

if ya look at his last bunch of games he's gotten a LOT better about that and the results show:

since June 13th he's given up more than 2 runs only once. he's turning things around. i'd rather hold on to Garland.

Though it's a moot point since he's not on the block...

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 04:41 PM)
How many errors does BA have? And Milledge?

hmm...

yeah but in fairness to milledge those errors were at fenway if im not mistaken and in LF. Hes only 21 now his potential upside is Carlos Beltran and his downside is Corey Patterson and once again i like Corey Patterson

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 04:52 PM)
For the rest of this year, I'll take the superior defense of Brian Anderson at the 1 or 2 most important defensive position on the field.

As for '07 and beyond, well that's another story but all we're discussing here is the 2006 season.

also remember that Shea is much more expansive than the cell, and that, in AAA Milledge was a relatively good fielder. who knows though, it's all speculative - on both our ends really...

I don't know if this name has been mentioned as far as Mets prospects are concerned, but Phillip Humber is back throwing after Tommy John surgery. He was the Mets #3 prospect this yr from Baseball America [behind Pelfrey] even after having the surgery. He was throwing in AA to end last yr before he got hurt.

He was the mets #1 pick in 2004, with a 91-94 mph FB and a 6-12 curve, and a changeup.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 04:56 PM)
I don't know if this name has been mentioned as far as Mets prospects are concerned, but Phillip Humber is back throwing after Tommy John surgery. He was the Mets #3 prospect this yr from Baseball America [behind Pelfrey] even after having the surgery. He was throwing in AA to end last yr before he got hurt.

He was the mets #1 pick in 2004, with a 91-94 mph FB and a 6-12 curve, and a changeup.

If Humber does in fact have a 6-12 Curveball, I'd trade for his ass in a f***ing second. Damn, how could anyone hit a pitch that rises from their knees to the letters?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
If Humber does in fact have a 6-12 Curveball, I'd trade for his ass in a f***ing second. Damn, how could anyone hit a pitch that rises from their knees to the letters?

haha you ass.

DISCLAIMER: that was not a personal attack.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 02:52 PM)
if ya look at his last bunch of games he's gotten a LOT better about that and the results show:

since June 13th he's given up more than 2 runs only once. he's turning things around. i'd rather hold on to Garland.

Though it's a moot point since he's not on the block...

Well, those quality starts were Reds, Cubs, and Orioles - not exactly "murderer's row" lineups. But, yes, he has gotten a lot better.

Jon really, really needs to learn how to locate his changeup. If he continues to throw two-seamers and sinkers 90% of the time, he's going to get shelled whenever he misses his spots.

I'm very interested in absolutely raping another organization into giving us much more than market value for our mediocre starters, Vazquez or Garcia. We're in a tremendous position -- deal or no deal, our team could continue onwards just fine. It's good once in awhile to be in this position, and not on the other end.

If Minaya is overwhelmed by the New York media suggesting he make a move, well, say goodbye to Milledge. Tough s***, otherwise. Don't tell me, "he's not giving him up!!!!11" Why shouldn't we begin there? Is Williams just going to help out Minaya? There's quite a difference between middle relief, which we would have in return, than a starting pitcher. Without question both would probably improve their numbers against National League ballclubs.

We shouldn't be in any position to help out a potential National League, World Series contender unless they're willing to help us out. I want our Zambrano for Kazmir, or AJ for Bonser/Liriano/Nathan. Those situations were both brought out of a team dealing from positions of strength (Min), and one organization taking advantage of another's impatience (Tampa). Why shouldn't I expect the same?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 05:49 PM)
I'm very interested in absolutely raping another organization into giving us much more than market value for our mediocre starters, Vazquez or Garcia. We're in a tremendous position -- deal or no deal, our team could continue onwards just fine. It's good once in awhile to be in this position, and not on the other end.

If Minaya is overwhelmed by the New York media suggesting he make a move, well, say goodbye to Milledge. Tough s***, otherwise. Don't tell me, "he's not giving him up!!!!11" Why shouldn't we begin there? Is Williams just going to help out Minaya? There's quite a difference between middle relief, which we would have in return, than a starting pitcher. Without question both would probably improve their numbers against National League ballclubs.

We shouldn't be in any position to help out a potential National League, World Series contender unless they're willing to help us out. I want our Zambrano for Kazmir, or AJ for Bonser/Liriano/Nathan. Those situations were both brought out of a team dealing from positions of strength (Min), and one organization taking advantage of another's impatience (Tampa). Why shouldn't I expect the same?

Quality post.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 08:49 AM)
Why shouldn't I expect the same?

Because how many times has it happened, and will these teams like the Mets give up a Mike Pelfrey for a Freddy Garcia, after they've already been burned once from a similar sort of deal before?