DON'T TRADE PROSPECTS

striker

So many people have cried in the past about sacrificing prospects for current big leagues. After reading this article and seeing what talent we have given up in the past I feel trading the future for the present is a wise move.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

How many other prospects were all hype?

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)
So many people have cried in the past about sacrificing prospects for current big leagues. After reading this article and seeing what talent we have given up in the past I feel trading the future for the present is a wise move.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

How many other prospects were all hype?

cept Young and Gio WILL probably come back to bite us in the ass... especially if we end up trading Javy...

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
cept Young and Gio WILL probably come back to bite us in the ass... especially if we end up trading Javy...

i will take my chances. Both could get injured and never play again. I would rather go with veterans and get into the playoffs.

You know the other fairly amazing thing IMO? At least recently, while the only prospects who really look to knock your socks off in the big leagues are BMac and BA, the Sox have a ton of guys they've drafted and moved/let go who are cropping up all over the place.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
i will take my chances. Both could get injured and never play again. I would rather go with veterans and get into the playoffs.

But Young/Javy could really turn out to be a bust for us.

on the whole i agree, i'll always trade a prospect for a proven player.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 04:51 PM)
You know the other fairly amazing thing IMO? At least recently, while the only prospects who really look to knock your socks off in the big leagues are BMac and BA, the Sox have a ton of guys they've drafted and moved/let go who are cropping up all over the place.

they have not won a world series, the sox have. anything to win the series. i could care less about fringe guys. Let them prove themselves then we can re-acquire. For every Chris young there will be 10 scott ruffcorns. i love the idea that we build a good system so other teams think we are good.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)

Says who?

The two comparisons I've heard people give to Chris Young and Gio Gonzalez are Mike Cameron and Oliver Perez. Tell me how those two are doing.

I'm not taknig anything away from any of the aforementioned players. Cameron is extremely valuable in his own right, what with his gold glove defense, .775-.825 OPS, and his speed on the basepaths, and Oliver Perez can be an absolute stud on the mound for you, when he's right. But neither are world beaters.

Of the prospects Kenny Williams has traded over the past 6 years, I can't think of 1 that has sustained success over a long period of time. Frank Francisco came up in 04, was very solid, threw a chair into the stands, and hasn't been heard from since. Jeremy Reed came up at the end of '04 and was hot as hell, and has hit for s*** since then. Mike Morse came up last year, set the world on fire for about 3 weeks, and is now hitting about .250 in Tacoma. Royce Ring was traded in 2003 and was an All-Star this year - in AAA. I have not seen a prospect, a true prospect, be dealt by Kenny Williams and go on to have success elsewhere. Whether that is poor scouting by the Sox, great scouting by the Sox, or poor scouting by other teams, I'm not sure, but it just hasn't happened.

Given, he did trade Rauch and Majewski for Everett, and both of them have become very solid players for their respective teams, but neither were prospects. Rauch was 25, going on 26, and Majewski was headed to his 4th different organization, and is now in his 5th.

People need to trust KW. He knows what he's doing.

I'll take the proven player any day of the week. The Sox are in a rare position of being defending champs and having a championship-calibre team put together for the next few years. If they can trade prospects to improve it even more, I'll go for another title now. The simple odds are that most prospects don't make it in the majors. You may get burned once in a while, but so be it. And although we'll never be the Yankees, if the Sox can maintain this success for a couple years to justify maintaining a higher payroll, we'll be bigger players in the free agent market every year to make up for perhaps less reliance on home-grown talent.

QUOTE(bighurt574 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 10:53 PM)
And although we'll never be the Yankees, if the Sox can maintain this success for a couple years to justify maintaining a higher payroll, we'll be bigger players in the free agent market every year to make up for perhaps less reliance on home-grown talent.

I think the Yanks have showed us over the past 5 years still how important it is for each ballclub whether you jave a $200M payroll or a $30M payroll to still develop good young players, especially good young pitchers.

It offers you so much more in payroll flexibility, plus you'll have that player under team control for 6 seasons for a fairly good price. E.g BA over Torii Hunter.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 14, 2006 -> 09:51 PM)

The sox prospects may be cropping up all over the place. But they aren't playing like all-stars--most are bench type players who really wouldn't have a spot for them on the sox 25 man roster. Most guys are playing in the NL [adkins, majewski, rauch, olivo, borchard, ring, ] where the competition is much weaker and they have a greater chance of making a watered down roster.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 06:02 AM)
Says who?

The two comparisons I've heard people give to Chris Young and Gio Gonzalez are Mike Cameron and Oliver Perez. Tell me how those two are doing.

I'm not taknig anything away from any of the aforementioned players. Cameron is extremely valuable in his own right, what with his gold glove defense, .775-.825 OPS, and his speed on the basepaths, and Oliver Perez can be an absolute stud on the mound for you, when he's right. But neither are world beaters.

Of the prospects Kenny Williams has traded over the past 6 years, I can't think of 1 that has sustained success over a long period of time. Frank Francisco came up in 04, was very solid, threw a chair into the stands, and hasn't been heard from since. Jeremy Reed came up at the end of '04 and was hot as hell, and has hit for s*** since then. Mike Morse came up last year, set the world on fire for about 3 weeks, and is now hitting about .250 in Tacoma. Royce Ring was traded in 2003 and was an All-Star this year - in AAA. I have not seen a prospect, a true prospect, be dealt by Kenny Williams and go on to have success elsewhere. Whether that is poor scouting by the Sox, great scouting by the Sox, or poor scouting by other teams, I'm not sure, but it just hasn't happened.

Given, he did trade Rauch and Majewski for Everett, and both of them have become very solid players for their respective teams, but neither were prospects. Rauch was 25, going on 26, and Majewski was headed to his 4th different organization, and is now in his 5th.

People need to trust KW. He knows what he's doing.

Wasn't there turn over in the sox scouting dept, IIRC, starting with the 2003 draft? There were some weak drafts with the top picks for the late 90's, early 2000's.

The current scouting group has its act together. they know the guys the have drafted real well, and can judge their ceilings/ future. They have made trades when top prospects have been at their best w/o getting burned much.

Just because a player turns into an All-Star doesn't mean the team that drafted him did a good job, or should be disappointed that they let him go. I think that is more of an indication of the system they are in when it happens.

I think a team needs to have the right balance of prospects and veterans, not just one or the other. The Sox seem to have a pretty good balance of experience on their roster, and as long as they can keep filtering in youth at a couple of positions every year, they will have the payroll flexibility to lock up veterans to mutli-year deals.