Durham says...

aboz56

Ray really wanted to stay here. I can not stress the "reeeeeaaallllyyyy" enough.

And we sure could have gotten Colon. People.. we are not even close to pushing the payroll envelope. We could afford a LOT more than we currently have. The Sox could have paid Ray $10 million a year, gotten Colon, AND left Frank's salary alone and there'd still be $$ left over.

Are you saying the JR and company aren't honest with us when they say that they don't have anymore money in the budget for players?I find that hard to believe

Ray really wanted to stay here. I can not stress the "reeeeeaaallllyyyy" enough.

And we sure could have gotten Colon. People.. we are not even close to pushing the payroll envelope. We could afford a LOT more than we currently have. The Sox could have paid Ray $10 million a year, gotten Colon, AND left Frank's salary alone and there'd still be $$ left over.

Are you saying the JR and company aren't honest with us when they say that they don't have anymore money in the budget for players?I find that hard to believe

Yeah, that can't be. I think Steff is telling stories.

Konerko wouldn't have taken only 3 million a year...

Maybe not....but I would have given him $5 mill, and if he didn't accept that, I would have said f*** you and traded him.

At $8 mill, Darin Erstad is overpaid, and he's way more valuable then PK.

Guest hotsoxchick1
A question I have for these high priced players is this: You are paid big bucks to produce. If you don't produce will you give any of that money back to the team?

you would think they should give it back huh.........the way i see it paulie is way in the hole to this team this year...............maybe he should just retire..... :huh: :D

Ugh.

I like Ray, but I'm not paying his ass between 5 and 8 million per year.

I heard these figures Steff

I heard Michael Jackson only had 2 surgeries....

I'm sure Ray would have resigned with the Sox for 2-3 million :rolleyes:

Nope. But it was not 8 million a year.

I was told the deal on the table was 3 years/20 million. However only $12 million was guaranteed - that's $4 million a year. The rest was all incentive based. And Ray and his agent were the ones who suggested that. He was not out to double his pay unless he earned it. Interesting concept there, eh?

I was told the deal on the table was 3 years/20 million. However only $12 million was guaranteed - that's $4 million a year. The rest was all incentive based. And Ray and his agent were the ones who suggested that. He was not out to double his pay unless he earned it. Interesting concept there, eh?

One way or the other I didn't want him back.

I wish this team would pick a path and stick with it. Either go young and build it up, or go with vets like Ray and try to win. Not this half assed crap they've pulled for years.

Guest hotsoxchick1

ok well heres a bit from an article when we traded him....ill put the link down too.. no where does any of the article say hes askin any money.. it just says he was not in the sox future plans...... :huh:

General manager Ken Williams said as much as he looked forward to the arrival of 23-year-old Willie Harris to replace Durham, 30, who was in the final year of a four-year $20 million deal and not in the Sox plans for next season.

the link........

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...s_cws&fext=.jsp

Cowley had it in the Southtown way back before he was traded. Give me a few minutes and I'll try and dig it up....

Ah, finally found it. The link doesn't work anymore since the Southtown doesn't keep an archive, again, this is what Cowley wrote.

Durham, who'll earn $6.3 million this season, is reportedly seeking a three-year deal worth $24 million-$25 million.

That was written on July 19th, 2002.

ok well heres a bit from an article when we traded him....ill put the link down too.. no where does any of the article say hes askin any money.. it just says he was not in the sox future plans...... :huh:

the link........

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...s_cws&fext=.jsp

Exactly Michelle.. which is why the trade to Oakland was such a shock.

Ah, finally found it. The link doesn't work anymore since the Southtown doesn't keep an archive, again, this is what Cowley wrote.

That was written on July 19th, 2002.

There were deals that were on, then off, then on, then off. I'm sure there is another different one printed somewhere else.

What I was told from the horses mouth - which is up there - was the deal that was supposedly agreed to the day before he was traded.