Computer Help Needed

SoxFan1

OK, I need your guys' help again.

So, we're getting a pool table and plan on putting it in the computer room. In doing this, we want to put the computer upstairs. Now, here is where we need the help...we have a wireless router hooked up down here in the computer room and we have another computer upstairs. The problem is that we want both computers upstairs but can't/dont want to take the cable modem all the way upstairs.

Is there a way we can have the cable modem down here in the pool table room and have both computers upstairs with wireless internet?

Well, yes, I think.

Ok, the computer down here in the pool room has the cable modem hooked up to the router and then a line from the router into this computer. The computer upstairs has the wireless card.

Would it work if I took a wireless card and plugged it in this computer and just left the cable modem plugged into the router?

Basically having 2 wireless computers....

In my best MS Paint drawing, here is the current computer situation. The computer on the left is the one in question....can we get it upstairs without taking the cable modem/cable line with it?

compsituationrx3.th.jpg

Ya, just have both computers set up on the wireless network. Plug the ethernet from your modem to the network plug of the wireless router and than set up the wireless network so that both your computers connect (obviously you need a wireless card in each computer).

That should do the trick with the router and modem staying in the pool room.

I run a Motorola G WIreless network SF1. I have my cable modem ethernet cable going into my Motorola G Wireless Router, then i have 3 PCs downstairs, and 1 upstairs. with a mix of wired and wireless. The PC upstairs really isnt' even close, and it always has a strong signal. Just pick up another "G" wireless PCI card for your PC currently downstairs, and set it up to receive your current wireless signal. Should be no issues at all.

Sweet. Thanks for all the help guys. I didn't think I can have a modem on 1 floor with no computers and 2 computers on the 2nd floor both with wireless internet!

I really appreciate this guys! Thanks a lot. :headbang

For home networks you can run either a wireless network setup like as been talked about earlier. You can get a Linksys Omnidirectional 7dbi antennae to boost your signal. Make sure you upgrade your firmware and enable WPA instead of WEP for encryption. WEP has too many flaws and can be cracked easily. If you can use WPA2 that would be the best solution. Also try to use Netstumbler on one of your wireless PCs to see what Channels your neighbors are using for their wireless. Mainly people use 6 as the default or 11. Try and keep your wireless network off the same channel as your neighbors as you will see dead spots in your house in different areas.

Another thing you can look at is something like Ethernet over Power. Like a Powerline solution. You can use your electrical backbone to transmit your ethernet network in your house. One of our engineers runs it as his house and says it works fine. I havent played with it at all, but I am going to run to frys tomorrow to pick 2 up to test on my home network.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=152644

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 01:51 AM)
Could buy a really long ethernet cord.

And fish it up through the wall, add an outlet right next to the place for the computer you moved. Plug your ethernet cable from computer into the outlet.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
For home networks you can run either a wireless network setup like as been talked about earlier. You can get a Linksys Omnidirectional 7dbi antennae to boost your signal. Make sure you upgrade your firmware and enable WPA instead of WEP for encryption. WEP has too many flaws and can be cracked easily. If you can use WPA2 that would be the best solution. Also try to use Netstumbler on one of your wireless PCs to see what Channels your neighbors are using for their wireless. Mainly people use 6 as the default or 11. Try and keep your wireless network off the same channel as your neighbors as you will see dead spots in your house in different areas.

Another thing you can look at is something like Ethernet over Power. Like a Powerline solution. You can use your electrical backbone to transmit your ethernet network in your house. One of our engineers runs it as his house and says it works fine. I havent played with it at all, but I am going to run to frys tomorrow to pick 2 up to test on my home network.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage...oduct_Id=152644

:o

That powerline ethernet thing sounds very cool. Does it work with a Linksys G router?

Sounds easier than my computer problem.

When I turned my on computer, my screen lit up to say it was on, but nothing appeared at all on the screen, while the hard disk continually kept loading. Then I could not even reset the computer or turn it off at all.

Doesn't sound promising. :crying