7/15 Game Thread White Sox vs. Yankees

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 06:35 PM)
I never expected our starting staff to repeat its success in 2005, but what I've seen so far this year sickens me.

It makes me appreciate how everything fell into place last year even more. Go no further than looking at Cliff Politte for how magical of a season it really was.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BTW hopefully at some point we stop drafting guys who can barely break a plane of glass with their fastball.

Oh God. Not this argument again.

Keep your radar gun. I'll take a smart pitcher who gets batters out.

Well that was interesting.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 01:34 PM)
Considering people in another thread were saying Garcia and Vazquez would be the best starters on the market, I think you're right. The only way the Sox improve the rotation is either their pitchers pitch better or they move McCarthy into it. The series in Detroit is going to be big for Detroit, huge for the Sox.

Its actually going to be huge for the sox, and not so big for Detroit. We have to sweep them to make something up. If we keep choking here we will be 4 1/2 or 5 1/2 games out. They could literally put us out of the race quickly.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 01:35 PM)
Where did you see this?

White Sox general manager Ken Williams might be aggressive, but he isn't reckless. So, discount any reports that he's willing to trade right-hander Brandon McCarthy and center fielder Brian Anderson to the Giants for right-hander Jason Schmidt.

Not even the most hare-brained GM would move two young talents, each with less than one year of service time, for a potential free agent that could depart in less than three months.

The White Sox, who face the Yankees on Saturday on MLB on FOX (1 p.m. ET), did ask about Braves center fielder Andruw Jones and Marlins left-hander Dontrelle Willis, and in both cases were told, "No!"

Don't expect the White Sox to trade Brandon McCarthy and Brian Anderson to the Giants for right-hander Jason Schmidt. (Lisa Blumenfeld / Getty Images)

A McCarthy-Anderson package would make sense for either of those players, but the Braves and Marlins weren't even willing to exchange names, much less enter serious discussions.

One possibility for the Sox would be to trade a starting pitcher, probably right-hander Freddy Garcia, for two pieces: An established reliever who would enable McCarthy to move into the rotation and a young starter who could join the rotation by 2008.

http://foxsports.foxnews.com/mlb/story/5782994