7/15 Game Thread White Sox vs. Yankees

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 06:48 PM)
I was reading a scouting report that said he's actually been throwing harder this year.

He was at 87 mph today. Let's not be like Cubs fans and act like the only way a pitcher can get roughed up is if they're hurt.

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)
We're not playing National League teams anymore. There's not a baseball expert alive who's watched our series vs the Red Sox and Yankees and thought we were a better team. The scary thing is that we've had our 2 best guys face both teams in the 5 games so far.

Based on the last few starts, I think maybe Garland slips into the #2 spot.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 01:48 PM)
We're not playing National League teams anymore. There's not a baseball expert alive who's watched our series vs the Red Sox and Yankees and thought we were a better team. The scary thing is that we've had our 2 best guys face both teams in the 5 games so far.

There wasn't a scout who picked the White Sox to even win a single series in the postseason last year on October 1st. And yet here we are. Let's stop projecting, shall we?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 01:48 PM)

As I'm sure there wasn't a baseball expert out there who picked the White Sox to beat the Red Sox in the ALDS last year?

We're just plain bad right now, not just the pitching, the defense, its just not there. The two main ingredients of the 2005 team.

CWSOX45

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 06:49 PM)
Yea well he seems to be bad alot. In fact I would say we couldn't count on him to pitch a good game right now. Say what you want about his competiveness and continue to back him up but quite frankly I view him as Unreliable at this point in time. Now in addition to him the sox are completely lacking focus. They feel the slide happening. There heads are not in the game. No fundelmentals, and poor defense.

This team needs a spark, and I think it's more likely to come on offense than it is defense.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 06:51 PM)
As I'm sure there wasn't a baseball expert out there who picked the White Sox to beat the Red Sox in the ALDS last year?

We're just plain bad right now, not just the pitching, the defense, its just not there. The two main ingredients of the 2005 team.

CWSOX45

I'm not an optimist at all, and I thought we were clearly better than the Red Sox going into that series. The big problem we have right now is that the Red Sox, Tigers, and Twins are significantly better this season than they were last year. Like you said, this is a totally different team we have this season, so there's really no track-record for how we'll perform the rest of the way.

Guys, very good baseball teams go through periods of every season where they inexpicably struggle.

This is true. However, mediocre teams and bad teams also have periods where they struggle. Struggles aren't necessarily a good sign. They can be signs of weakness...like our serious starting pitching weakness.

QUOTE(Misplaced_Sox @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
See this is why we need to draft some project electric arms with good fastballs...

What we need to do is trade for younger pitching this winter. McCarthy is our only young guy who is able to pitch effectively in the majors right now. Garland will never be anything more than a #3 or #4 and we only have Buehrle under contract for one more season.

Well the Sox will be 1-4 against Boston and NYY with Contreras and Buerhle each getting 2 starts. I think this should end the "Detroit can't beat good teams" crap, because apparently the White Sox can't either. I think it also sets up ESPN as being all east coast all the time.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)
Dude's thrown 220+ innings over the last five seasons. But if he were hurt, he probably wouldn't be throwing as hard. Haven't seen today's game, but he didn't look like he's lost much velocity in his last two starts.

Well I don't live in the past. Your only as good as today, and today he is not good. When he retires I will look back on his past. he cannot continue to give up 6-7-8 runs and expect to be called a number 1 or 2 pitcher. He has lost it, I think KC is coming up next month so that should help him out. Maybe he will only give up 4 or 5 runs to them.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)
Well the Sox will be 1-4 against Boston and NYY with Contreras and Buerhle each getting 2 starts. I think this should end the "Detroit can't beat good teams" crap, because apparently the White Sox can't either. I think it also sets up ESPN as being all east coast all the time.

I despised the comments from people about the Tigers not being able to beat good teams.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)
KW should be placing a call to inquire about Schmidt or D Train....

or Soriano :P