Why does our starting pitching suck?

striker

We now have 4 starters with ERAs over 4, 3 of which are over or close to 5. What do you think the problem is? Do you think they lost their desire to win since they already have a ring? Do you think the offense has been so good (stunk last year) that the pitchers feel they can slack more?

With all this talk about us getting relievers, I'd rather get a top starter. Even if we made the playoffs, I wouldn't feel the confidence in this pitching staff I had last year.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a combination of things. Our pitchers pitched over their heads last season, Vazquez is pitching like he normally does (mediocre), and historically a lot of times staffs that pitch late into October often have down years the following season.

Schmidt is not the answer. It's D. Willis or bust. Sox won't repeat with pitching like this.

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 01:38 PM)
We now have 4 starters with ERAs over 4, 3 of which are over or close to 5. What do you think the problem is? Do you think they lost their desire to win since they already have a ring? Do you think the offense has been so good (stunk last year) that the pitchers feel they can slack more?

With all this talk about us getting relievers, I'd rather get a top starter. Even if we made the playoffs, I wouldn't feel the confidence in this pitching staff I had last year.

DFA= Dessignate for Assignment

Well, the All-Star Break has come and gone. Aren't our garbage starters supposed to "turn it on" now? Or "get into a groove" or something? Hasn't Coop fixed them yet?

Don't worry. It's only a matter of time before they get their s*** together. There's nothing to worry about here. Move along, and put your head back in that sand.

Buerhle really seems tired. He's pitching up way too much, and that's not something we've seen from him this many times in a season. I didn't buy into the idea that the playoffs would have an affect this season, but I'm starting to think it's causing a problem.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 07:15 PM)
Well, we're usually not very good in the second half of the season. The race is so close this year that we really can't do that, or we're not even going to make the playoffs.

The good news is that at least the yankees or any other team wont be after Cooper after this year.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 11:45 AM)
It's a combination of things. Our pitchers pitched over their heads last season, Vazquez is pitching like he normally does (mediocre), and historically a lot of times staffs that pitch late into October often have down years the following season.

I'm not sure about that last part, but much of this staff really did pitch over it's head last season. Garland was an All-Star, Contreras was nearly unhittable from August-October, B-Mac had a very good rookie campaign, Hermanson was a stud closer, Politte was a rock-solid setup man, Freddy had his best year since '01, and Mark had arguably his best season ever.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 12:41 PM)
Perhaps Mark Buehrle is following the career path of Dwight Gooden afterall.

Mark's a cokehead? :huh:

QUOTE(shoota @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
Today's game makes three consecutive starts where Mark Buehrle has been rocked.

Has baseball figured out something about Mark Buehrle? Mark needs to adjust back.

I don't believe that's the problem. There's nothing really to figure out about MB because he doesn't do anything all that impressive. He relies on hitting his spots and pitching fast. The problem is that he can't hit his spots, and as I said in this thread, I think he's got a tired arm.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
I'm not sure about that last part, but much of this staff really did pitch over it's head last season. Garland was an All-Star, Contreras was nearly unhittable from August-October, B-Mac had a very good rookie campaign, Hermanson was a stud closer, Politte was a rock-solid setup man, Freddy had his best year since '01, and Mark had arguably his best season ever.

Mark's a cokehead? :huh:

Dude, nobody is above becoming a drug addict.