Well that's a White Sox loss

beautox

If we were in a playoff series with either the Yankees or Red Sox, we'd probably go with Contreras-Buehrle-Garcia (well, Ozzie would). It seems like our best isn't good enough to beat either team so a move should be made if we want to compete with either club.

Where would people rank us among the Tigers, Red Sox, and Yankees. With this pitching, I'm not sure how we can be anything but last.

I think this team will turn it around we're only 2 games into the second half. I understand people are frustraed and disapointed when people(hawk, steve phillips) were billing this as one of the greatest rotations ever. This rotation outside of a week here or there hasn't clicked on all 5 cylinders and has just been mediocre.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 08:36 PM)
If Politte pitches again for this team, it will be clear to me that Kenny and/or Ozzie have lost their minds. This guy sucks, period. No more chances, he's done. GET HIM OFF THE TEAM!

I was real excited this morning to discover the Sox-Yanks game on Fox was being broadcast by the local Fox station. Usually they only show the West coast games on Saturday. However, by the third inning my enthusiasm was slipping away. Buerhle sucked for at least the 3rd or 4th game in a row. Everything up and missing except the Yankee bats. The whole team sucked today except for Thome's hitting.

I am surprised that Politte is still playing and isn't back on the DL. The Fox broadcasters picked up on his physical mannerisms, as well as lack on confidence, but they said it appeared he was uncomfortable and kept grabbing at the back of his arm. I think he is less than 100% physically and should be on the DL.

We have played the two major powers in the AL East the lst 5 games and are 1-4. Hopefully we win tomorrow, but 3 1/2 behind the Tigers in danger of being swept by the Yankees and going to Tiger stadium on Tuesday is not good. I see the Sox are on WGN tomorrow and on ESPN Wed night and also the Thursday day game.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 02:08 PM)
All less than month before the postseason started last year.

I would take the #1 pitching staff in the AL and the #10 offense in the AL over the #1 offense in the AL and #10 pitching staff in the AL any day of the week.

QUOTE(beautox @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 09:00 PM)
I think this team will turn it around we're only 2 games into the second half. I understand people are frustraed and disapointed when people(hawk, steve phillips) were billing this as one of the greatest rotations ever. This rotation outside of a week here or there hasn't clicked on all 5 cylinders and has just been mediocre.

And this team is still 25 games over .500 with a far more inconsistent pitching staff. Hopefully these guys are healthy. If they are, they'll turn it around.

First things first: Cliff Politte has to go. I don't know what else the man can do to re-emphasize that he doesn't belong on an MLB club. I'm sure there is a much more deserving individual in the system who could be called up to take his place.

The starting pitching will come around, be patient. Buerhle wasn't doing that bad until a few blunders behind him occured. Vasquez I think is just having a difficult time adjusting to the AL, he will come around. Even the relief has been reasonably good. Neal Cotts may have struggled last night, but he is the same Neal Cotts who struck out 2 straight Red Sox last weekend.

Back-up catching: Most teams have a reliable catcher who they can call upon if the starting catcher goes down for whatever reason. They are either solid offensively, or can perform well behind the plate. The White Sox do not have this at all. If AJ becomes injured, there is going to be a serious problem. It's at least something the White Sox should be thinking about, because Widger should not be put in that position.

Edited by soxunited

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
i guess kalapse was right all along

Buehrle sure as hell don't look like an ace

On a staff that was supposed to have 5 aces coming into this season, right now I don't see a single one pitching like it.

QUOTE(soxunited @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 04:45 PM)
First things first: Cliff Politte has to go. I don't know what else the man can do to re-emphasize that he doesn't belong on an MLB club. I'm sure there is a much more deserving individual in the system who could be called up to take his place.

The starting pitching will come around, be patient. Buerhle wasn't doing that bad until a few blunders behind him occured. Vasquez I think is just having a difficult time adjusting to the AL, he will come around. Even the relief has been reasonably good. Neal Cotts may have struggled last night, but he is the same Neal Cotts who struck out 2 straight Red Sox last weekend.

Back-up catching: Most teams have a reliable catcher who they can call upon if the starting catcher goes down for whatever reason. They are either solid offensively, or can perform well behind the plate. The White Sox do not have this at all. If AJ becomes injured, there is going to be a serious problem. It's at least something the White Sox should be thinking about, because Widger should not be put in that position.

This phrase should be banned. We are more than halfway through the season. It's about time to realize that they're not all just gonna come around. To be patient, must we wait until we fall short of the playoffs or get our asses handed to us in the playoffs because our starters can't give up less than 5 runs a start?

No, there's no time for patience anymore. We have a few weeks left to make something happen on the market. That is the only way this rotation will get any better. McCarthy or someone from outside of the organization has to be starting in place of Garcia/Vazquez.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 06:52 PM)
This phrase should be banned. We are more than halfway through the season. It's about time to realize that they're not all just gonna come around. To be patient, must we wait until we fall short of the playoffs or get our asses handed to us in the playoffs because our starters can't give up less than 5 runs a start?

No, there's no time for patience anymore. We have a few weeks left to make something happen on the market. That is the only way this rotation will get any better. McCarthy or someone from outside of the organization has to be starting in place of Garcia/Vazquez.

There isn't much of a choice now, is there? Who do you honestly expect to get for Garcia and Vasquez? You are certainly not going to get two quality pitchers in return. You would need to get a SP and a reliever in the deal if McCarthy is to come out of the bullpen. McCarthy I agree, should have been starting long ago. It is a disgrace that he has been left to languish out in the bullpen.

Edited by soxunited

QUOTE(soxunited @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
There isn't much of a choice now, is there? Who do you honestly expect to get for Garcia and Vasquez? You are certainly not going to get two quality starters in return. McCarthy I agree, should have been starting long ago. It is a disgrace that he has been left to languish out in the bullpen.

Bmac needs to step into this rotation. As of right now he could pitch better than 3/5s of our current rotation.

Maybe KW used him in the bullpen to keep him fresh for the 2nd half push. A lot of young starters tire out in the 2nd half due to never pitchng that many innings. He threw 180 innings last year and should be fresh for the 2nd half run.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(soxunited @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 03:04 PM)
There isn't much of a choice now, is there? Who do you honestly expect to get for Garcia and Vasquez? You are certainly not going to get two quality starters in return. McCarthy I agree, should have been starting long ago. It is a disgrace that he has been left to languish out in the bullpen.

For any team not named the Angels, Athletics, Tigers, or Astros, you could get a freaking king's ransom for them. Right now every damn playoff contender other than a small handful needs pitching desperately, especially veteran pitching who can chew up a lot of innings. There's a reason we have about 5 threads about Garcia/Vaz going to the Mets.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)
Bmac needs to step into this rotation. As of right now he could pitch better than 3/5s of our current rotation.

4/5. And almost 5/5.

QUOTE(soxunited @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
There isn't much of a choice now, is there? Who do you honestly expect to get for Garcia and Vasquez? You are certainly not going to get two quality pitchers in return. You would need to get a SP and a reliever in the deal if McCarthy is to come out of the bullpen. McCarthy I agree, should have been starting long ago. It is a disgrace that he has been left to languish out in the bullpen.

I don't follow. McCarthy would take the spot of the traded starter. So, all we would really need is a good reliever in return.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 05:06 PM)

Maybe KW used him in the bullpen to keep him fresh for the 2nd half push. A lot of young starters tire out in the 2nd half due to never pitchng that many innings. He threw 180 innings last year and should be fresh for the 2nd half run.

I assume, at this moment, you're putting Count and Jon ahead of him.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 05:11 PM)
I assume, at this moment, you're putting Count and Jon ahead of him.

Yup the Count and Jon are ahead of Bmac. Buerhle can be the minute he gets his head out of his ass, and starts to keep the ball down, and run his cutter in on righties.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 07:07 PM)
For any team not named the Angels, Athletics, Tigers, or Astros, you could get a freaking king's ransom for them. Right now every damn playoff contender other than a small handful needs pitching desperately, especially veteran pitching who can chew up a lot of innings. There's a reason we have about 5 threads about

No AL team in contention is going to go near Vasquez given his track record in the AL. The only team in contention in the AL that is in absolute desperation for SP is the Yankees, what kind of kings ransom do you expect from them?

The NL would be another story . . . but most of those teams that are in contention are going to need to hold on to their relievers, which is what the White Sox would want.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 07:10 PM)
I don't follow. McCarthy would take the spot of the traded starter. So, all we would really need is a good reliever in return.

Right, I was operating under the assumption that the two starters would leave as a packge deal. But i see your point

QUOTE(soxunited @ Jul 15, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)
The only team in contention in the AL that is in absolute desperation for SP is the Yankees

You mean the team with a better ERA out of their starters than the Sox?