And That's A White Sox Loss

Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 08:25 PM)
4 posts already. I looked over the last few game winner threads and found 0 posts for you. <_>

Also, out of everyone on this site, I think I'm the last person that can be accused of only posting if we lose.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 08:29 PM)
What did I just say? They are NOT playing to their potential.

If the Yankees make their expected trade, them and the Red Sox will have more pure talent than we do. However, if you make it to the playoffs, anything can happen.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 03:26 PM)
So you're suggesting we stand pat then.....which is actually what I think will happen. It's sad though, because after watching us play the AL East powers, I think we're an inferior team.

At this point, I don't think there's any doubt the Yanks/Red Sox are better. The Tigers probably are, too.

I've been saying the same thing you are, though, if we can't acquire an impact starter, we better improve the lineup and try to win slugfests. At the very least, dump one of the starters and open up a spot for McCarthy.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 01:30 PM)
Also, out of everyone on this site, I think I'm the last person that can be accused of only posting if we lose.

If the Yankees make their expected trade, them and the Red Sox will have more pure talent than we do. However, if you make it to the playoffs, anything can happen.

No offense, but you're totally off base here. On paper, no team in baseball has more talent up and down the list than the White Sox. Unfortunately, someone forgot to tell our starting pitching that fact.

Seriously, who would have thought 2 months ago that today I'd be ready to praise Greg Walker for the great work he's done on Uribe and Anderson's swing, and keeping Crede from falling into a slump, and at the same time, wondering what the Hell Cooper's being paid for these days?

Another disheartening thing about this series was the Sox were only playing against about 75% of the Yankees real starting lineup for the first two games, and less than that for Game 3 with Damon out, and the Sox still dropped three.

Besides pitching, the clutch hitting, and managing have been horrible.

The series vs Detroit is now more important than ever.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 08:39 PM)
No offense, but you're totally off base here. On paper, no team in baseball has more talent up and down the list than the White Sox. Unfortunately, someone forgot to tell our starting pitching that fact.

Seriously, who would have thought 2 months ago that today I'd be ready to praise Greg Walker for the great work he's done on Uribe and Anderson's swing, and keeping Crede from falling into a slump, and at the same time, wondering what the Hell Cooper's being paid for these days?

I think the White Sox are extremely talented, but one of their main strengths was their chemistry. The Red Sox are loaded this year, and if their starters were able to pitch to their abilities, they'd be the best team in baseball. It's too bad that KW got suckered like previous General Managers did into thinking that Vazquez could actually be a "winner".

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
BTW....station-to-station baseball rules.

For a team that was supposed to have speed as a major component, the Sox are sure slow. Dye looks like he runs with cement shoes on, Crede, Konerko, and A.J. are just plain slow, Iguchi has average speed at best, Pods gets thrown out at too high a rate...and oh yeah, nice hustle by Thome today.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)
I think the White Sox are extremely talented, but one of their main strengths was their chemistry. The Red Sox are loaded this year, and if their starters were able to pitch to their abilities, they'd be the best team in baseball. It's too bad that KW got suckered like previous General Managers did into thinking that Vazquez could actually be a "winner".

Now THAT I can agree with. I wonder if Cooper put the bug in KWs ear that he could "fix" Vazquez the same way he did with Thornton.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)

On paper, the Red Sox starting pitching does not come close to matching ours, IMO.

Schilling

Beckett

Wells

Clement

Lester

Wakefield

Snyder

Buehrle

Contreras

Garcia

Garland

Vazquez

McCarthy

Clement is always hurt these days and was never worth his contract. Schilling is dynamite, but is up in age, so he cancels out Contreras. Beckett vs. Buehrle as #2? Even after this disaster, Mark's still put up better numbers. Wakefield and David Wells versus Garcia, Garland and Vazquez? McCarthy vs. Lester and Snyder? Aside from the #1 slot, I would take our guy, on paper, at each and every step there.

Our 3-4-5 hitters sucked today overall. This is the 2nd series they didnt show up to. They left a small village on base. Wright kept using his changeup away, and we couldnt resist pulling it on the ground for a DP. Nice effort. Next time guys, remember you dont need to hit the dramatic home run every single time you come to the plate. Sometimes a single or a double will clear the bases.

However having Freddy give up 3 before you could blink an eye, and then another 3 before he left is just dumb. So much for the theory of he is good on the road in day games against good teams. Its time for some of our rotation to make a quick trip to the DL to refresh them. Let Bmac stretch out and start and leave Tracey in the bullpen.

Our entire teams needs the Tom Emanski refresher on how to run the bases.

And for anyone who tries to compare this to August of 2005, dont. We had a nice 15 game cushion last year. If we drag ass like we did in August we will be fighting the twins for 3rd with the division and wildcard out of reach.

As far as motivating this team, what do you do. They had the 2nd place team in the wildcard with a 6 game lead. If they just avoided the sweep they would be 5 games up. Now they are 3 games up. And 4 1/2 out of the division. Maybe just maybe playing the B team and taking some of those losses against the Royals in April didnt exactly give us the cushion we could of used right now.

This team needs a major wake the hell up, or they will ruin a good thing here.

I was thinking that yesterday...we started off looking great in the 2nd half and boy did that end fast, maybe we'll do the opposite this time around with the same net result (World Series championship).

We started the season off well last year, too, but began this year's like crap before kicking it into high gear.

We'll be fine.

And fathom: I'm glad you like the other teams better than ours, talent-wise. Did you feel that way last year, too, whenever we lost to the Red Sox or Yankees in the season?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 09:00 PM)
We started the season off well last year, too, but began this year's like crap before kicking it into high gear.

We'll be fine.

And fathom: I'm glad you like the other teams better than ours, talent-wise. Did you feel that way last year, too, whenever we lost to the Red Sox or Yankees in the season?

We had a lot better pitching, and our chemistry was phenomenal last year. That was apparent even to pessimists like myself. However, talent level doesn't mean much. I think Javier Vazquez is the golden boy of how talent doesn't mean everything.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:00 PM)
We'll be fine.

Since you appear to believe everything will turn out fine, would you personally consider trading Garcia -- and moving McCarthy into the rotation -- or keeping everything as it stands?

I'm not so confident 'we'll be fine,' atleast concerning the rotation. It just so happens this is the division of our ballclub which is expected to perform. I'm not one who is confident about our starters rebounding since they've been pitching above career numbers. I've heard this mentioned on a few occasions. Pitchers, apparently, don't have seasons which are out of line with their career averages.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

To me, this is a baseball taam that is just showing up every day right now and going through the motions. They have little fire.

The starting pitching is TIRED. Remember, they pitched a whole month more then they had anytime in their careers, and also remember when April/May was going good, they were pitching a lot.

I'll also tell you something else.

Last year, just like this year for Detroit, the Sox were not scouted nearly as heavy as they are this year. Something about a WS title gives you that where no one will overlook you.

ust some observations.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
Since you appear to believe everything will turn out fine, would you personally consider trading Garcia -- and moving McCarthy into the rotation -- or keeping everything as it stands?

I'm not so confident 'we'll be fine,' atleast concerning the rotation. It just so happens this is the division of our ballclub which is expected to perform. I'm not one who is confident about our starters rebounding since they've been pitching above career numbers. I've heard this mentioned on a few occasions.

I'd consider trading Freddy Garcia. I don't see where I've ever said that I wouldn't. But I don't think I'd trade Freddy for a reliever, as our bullpen is one I'm confident in. I like and trust our bullpen, especially now without Politte. I know some people lost their minds after Friday's start and forgot that we'd had about a month of excellent bullpen work going into the start of this series, but I didn't, and I like our Pen as it stands.

I truly expect Javier to pitch much better in the second half, and Garland too. There should be no doubt that Buehrle'll be okay, and Contreras, either. Freddy's our weakness because he isn't throwing like he used to, but overall, I don't look at Freddy and say, "We're f***ed!" everytime we go into one of his games.

And, a clarification: by "We'll be fine" I meant the point that we had an awful beginning this year, then kicked it up. I think the same'll happen here. We were swept by the Yankees. We'll survive. :P

On a personal note, I think McCarthy is very overrated, and I don't think he ever becomes better than a third starter. I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't look at him and say, "Ace!"

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:18 PM)
I'd consider trading Freddy Garcia. I don't see where I've ever said that I wouldn't. But I don't think I'd trade Freddy for a reliever, as our bullpen is one I'm confident in. I like and trust our bullpen, especially now without Politte. I know some people lost their minds after Friday's start and forgot that we'd had about a month of excellent bullpen work going into the start of this series, but I didn't, and I like our Pen as it stands.

I truly expect Javier to pitch much better in the second half, and Garland too. There should be no doubt that Buehrle'll be okay, and Contreras, either. Freddy's our weakness because he isn't throwing like he used to, but overall, I don't look at Freddy and say, "We're f***ed!" everytime we go into one of his games.

And, a clarification: by "We'll be fine" I meant the point that we had an awful beginning this year, then kicked it up. I think the same'll happen here. We were swept by the Yankees. We'll survive. :P

On a personal note, I think McCarthy is very overrated, and I don't think he ever becomes better than a third starter. I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't look at him and say, "Ace!"

That's completely unfair. There have been plenty of people, myself included, that have said we need a good RH set-up man in the bullpen. We didn't just suddenly have knee-jerk reactions, which you're painting it as, because the bullpen imploded the other day.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:18 PM)

I'm interested in hearing your reasons for calling McCarthy "very overrated".

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 02:18 PM)

You haven't seen much of his changeup, have you?

I've watched McCarthy before, thanks.

I know he's good, I just don't look at him and say "Ace."

We'll find out next year. This year, if some of you get your way.

That's completely unfair. There have been plenty of people, myself included, that have said we need a good RH set-up man in the bullpen. We didn't just suddenly have knee-jerk reactions, which you're painting it as, because the bullpen imploded the other day.

Consider yourself excluded from the statement. I too think we could use another righty out of the pen, but I feel good about our pen, overall, and wouldn't be devastated if no trade occurred.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)

That's all fine and good but why?

Consider yourself excluded from the statement. I too think we could use another righty out of the pen, but I feel good about our pen, overall, and wouldn't be devastated if no trade occurred.

A lot of people have been saying we need a RH set-up man. A whole lot of people. I doubt there were very many knee-jerk reactions just because of the first NY game.

So when are the starters who have been who they have been pretty much all year, sans Buerhles last starts, are they going to flip this magical switch. When is Freddy going to magically bring his A game stuff. Right now Bmac gives us a better chance to win than Freddy who is trying to be Greg Maddux all of a sudden.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:37 PM)
A lot of people have been saying we need a RH set-up man. A whole lot of people. I doubt there were very many knee-jerk reactions just because of the first NY game.

I'm happy to see you objecting on behalf of those who WERE reacting knee-jerk about the bullpen.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:38 PM)
So when are the starters who have been who they have been pretty much all year, sans Buerhles last starts, are they going to flip this magical switch. When is Freddy going to magically bring his A game stuff. Right now Bmac gives us a better chance to win than Freddy who is trying to be Greg Maddux all of a sudden.

Garland flipped a switch all of a sudden from bad-to-mediocre to good and solid, and Vazquez went from good-to-shady suddenly, too, all within this season.

I don't think I'm stretching to say that our starters'll be okay, but I guess, considering how everyone's reacting, we'll have to wait and see.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:42 PM)
I'm happy to see you objecting on behalf of those who WERE reacting knee-jerk about the bullpen.

Garland flipped a switch all of a sudden from bad-to-mediocre to good and solid, and Vazquez went from good-to-shady suddenly, too, all within this season.

I don't think I'm stretching to say that our starters'll be okay, but I guess, considering how everyone's reacting, we'll have to wait and see.

I'm telling you, many people on this site have been asking for a RH reliever for months. I bet a lot of the people you're saying had knee-jerk reactions were asking for this reliever for a while.