And That's A White Sox Loss

Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:42 PM)
I'm happy to see you objecting on behalf of those who WERE reacting knee-jerk about the bullpen.

Garland flipped a switch all of a sudden from bad-to-mediocre to good and solid, and Vazquez went from good-to-shady suddenly, too, all within this season.

I don't think I'm stretching to say that our starters'll be okay, but I guess, considering how everyone's reacting, we'll have to wait and see.

Garlands velocity has been the same all year long. Garland was constantly getting into 2-0 counts. Thats why he was struggling.

Vazquez was facing bad teams. How many times can you face the Royals. The minute he started facing good teams he started getting hit and hit well. Plus have you seen Vazquezs overall records for the last few years. He is having his prototypical season so far.

Garcia is noticibly not throwing the same velocity this year. He is quite down. Every so often he will hum it in there for a few innings. But for the most part his velocity is quite down. A physical issue is not something you can overcome, if you are hurt. You cannot magically flip a switch when you cant throw hard long anymore.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 02:42 PM)
I'm happy to see you objecting on behalf of those who WERE reacting knee-jerk about the bullpen.

Garland flipped a switch all of a sudden from bad-to-mediocre to good and solid, and Vazquez went from good-to-shady suddenly, too, all within this season.

I don't think I'm stretching to say that our starters'll be okay, but I guess, considering how everyone's reacting, we'll have to wait and see.

Vazquez has been "Shady" at least since when was it, like June-July of 04?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 09:38 PM)
I don't think his fastball and curve are good enough to compliment his changeup well enough, and I don't think he'll be all too consistent with his stuff when he pitches full-time.

If that's true, then why in the world would you want Garcia still pitching?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)
I'm telling you, many people on this site have been asking for a RH reliever for months. I bet a lot of the people you're saying had knee-jerk reactions were asking for this reliever for a while.

:)

Garlands velocity has been the same all year long. Garland was constantly getting into 2-0 counts. Thats why he was struggling.

Vazquez was facing bad teams. How many times can you face the Royals. The minute he started facing good teams he started getting hit and hit well. Plus have you seen Vazquezs overall records for the last few years. He is having his prototypical season so far.

Garcia is noticibly not throwing the same velocity this year. He is quite down. Every so often he will hum it in there for a few innings. But for the most part his velocity is quite down. A physical issue is not something you can overcome, if you are hurt. You cannot magically flip a switch when you cant throw hard long anymore.

Vazquez hasn't solely dominated bad teams. He's owned the Indians on the year, for one. Vazquez' negatives have been accentuated by poor luck a lot of the time, both with his defense and the umpires, and then he lost his cool and threw meat. His homeruns allowed have always been a problem for him, but not this year. He'll be okay.

About Garcia: he was about the only one that I didn't say is likely to have a better second half. :P

I think we're about done here, as I don't care to argue what only time will tell.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:49 PM)
If that's true, then why in the world would you want Garcia still pitching?

Well, that's the thing: it's not true. I lied.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
Vazquez has been "Shady" at least since when was it, like June-July of 04?

For different reasons. He had a problem with the longball.

Now it's not that anymore, but between the ears.

I think he'll be better than okay, when all is said and done.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:52 PM)
I think we're about done here, as I don't care to argue what only time will tell.

Well, that's the thing: it's not true. I lied.

For different reasons. He had a problem with the longball.

Now it's not that anymore, but between the ears.

I think he'll be better than okay, when all is said and done.

So basically all you're going on is a gut feeling and optimism? What as Vazquez ever done that has shown you he can overcome his mental midgetry?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 09:55 PM)
So basically all you're going on is a gut feeling and optimism? What as Vazquez ever done that has shown you he can overcome his mental midgetry?

There's a long list of General Managers who have been criticized for having this same optimism with Vazquez.

Yeah, actually, if you want to simplify it, that is what I'm going on.

His problem, historically, has been the longball. Now it isn't. It's the "big inning," usually including a defensive miscue and a squeezing umpire. The point is, his problems now are in his head, and I also think he's got an issue with relying on run support. He never had run support elsewhere, and now he's got a ton; he's taken to expecting it, and being a bit lazier because of it, IMO. Besides, going more with Mentality, Javy was VERY unhappy in Arizona last year, so that too played a part in him pitching so bad there.

Overall, his stuff is still there, and I'll bet he winds up okay.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:55 PM)
There's a long list of General Managers who have been criticized for having this same optimism with Vazquez.

Yeah, well, not everyone can be spot on as you, fathom.

Sean Tracey says hello!

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)

Yeah, well, not everyone can be spot on as you, fathom.

Sean Tracey says hello!

Well, it's stupid comments like this which make people hesitant to report rumors on this site. Keep up the personal attacks though, it will last long. And yes, I'm 100 pct certain that Ozzie said that s*** about Tracey. If he didn't, then there's a member of our organization who's a blatant liar.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
Well, it's stupid comments like this which make people hesitant to report rumors on this site. Keep up the personal attacks though, it will last long. And yes, I'm 100 pct certain that Ozzie said that s*** about Tracey. If he didn't, then there's a member of our organization who's a blatant liar.

Oh, come on mate, don't pretend that I've ravished your feelings by teasing you about The Sureness of the Source.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
At this point, I don't think there's any doubt the Yanks/Red Sox are better. The Tigers probably are, too.

I've been saying the same thing you are, though, if we can't acquire an impact starter, we better improve the lineup and try to win slugfests. At the very least, dump one of the starters and open up a spot for McCarthy.

I don't think the Yanks are better than the White Sox and I have some doubts that the Red Sox are better than us. We weren't playing good they were, we lost, but it doesn't tell me that the Sox aren't a good team.

We didn't accidentally have the 2nd best record in baseball at the break. Sure, this team has some problems but lets not act as if the Yanks and Red Sox have amazing rotations either.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
Yeah, actually, if you want to simplify it, that is what I'm going on.

His problem, historically, has been the longball. Now it isn't. It's the "big inning," usually including a defensive miscue and a squeezing umpire. The point is, his problems now are in his head, and I also think he's got an issue with relying on run support. He never had run support elsewhere, and now he's got a ton; he's taken to expecting it, and being a bit lazier because of it, IMO. Besides, going more with Mentality, Javy was VERY unhappy in Arizona last year, so that too played a part in him pitching so bad there.

Vazquez has always had mental problems this is nothing new to him. So instead of having the testicular fortitude of a 9 year old girl and giving up a ton of HRs, he's decided to keep the former and add the big inning to his list of problems.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 05:04 PM)
Oh, come on mate, don't pretend that I've ravished your feelings by teasing you about The Sureness of the Source.

That doesn't make the comment any less out of line. There was no need for that.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)

No, you're just being annoying about it. I'll just stick to discussing XBox trades then, and only tell the information I hear to people who are respectful enough to know that s*** happens in baseball. JimH and I don't agree on much, but at least we both understand the way the baseball industry works.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)
Vazquez has always had mental problems this is nothing new to him. So instead of having the testicular fortitude of a 9 year old girl and giving up a ton of HRs, he's decided to keep the former and add the big inning to his list of problems.

That doesn't make the comment any less out of line. There was no need for that.

Is there any need for saying Javy has the testicular fortitude of a nine year old girl?

No, you're just being annoying about it. I'll just stick to discussing XBox trades then, and only tell the information I hear to people who are respectful enough to know that s*** happens in baseball. JimH and I don't agree on much, but at least we both understand the way the baseball industry works.

I was just teasing.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 05:08 PM)
Is there any need for saying Javy has the testicular fortitude of a nine year old girl?

I was just teasing.

It's a fine way of describing the mental makeup he shows on the mound IMO.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 02:38 PM)
I don't think his fastball and curve are good enough to compliment his changeup well enough, and I don't think he'll be all too consistent with his stuff when he pitches full-time.

I have noticed his velocity has been on the rise. I think as he fills out you'll see him become a guy that hits 95 on ocassion. But anything can happen and I'm not going to say he's a guaranteed ace cause there is no such thing as that.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 08:30 PM)
If the Yankees make their expected trade, them and the Red Sox will have more pure talent than we do. However, if you make it to the playoffs, anything can happen.

Who exactly are the Yankees going to use to make this trade? Scott Proctor? Sidney Ponson? The 'great' Erik Duncan?

I doubt Phillip Hughes is going anywhere, and their Tabata kid is only in A-ball.

I can't believe some people are complaining about an offense that ranks first in all of baseball, 28 runs ahead of the vaunted Boston offense. If you can't see that the reason we're losing right now is because of our 16th ranked 4.57 ERA, then maybe you need a new game.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:27 PM)
Who exactly are the Yankees going to use to make this trade? Scott Proctor? Sidney Ponson? The 'great' Erik Duncan?

I doubt Phillip Hughes is going anywhere, and their Tabata kid is only in A-ball.

I can't believe some people are complaining about an offense that ranks first in all of baseball, 28 runs ahead of the vaunted Boston offense. If you can't see that the reason we're losing right now is because of our 16th ranked 4.57 ERA, then maybe you need a new game.

They'll find a way to get Abreu, as the Phillies will do anything to get rid of his contract. Trust me, I know the reason we're losing is because of the pitching. However, when Freddy Garcia is one of the top names on the market, it doesn't get my hopes up that something can be done. Can we count on the offense to continue to produce at such a high rate though?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 03:29 PM)
They'll find a way to get Abreu, as the Phillies will do anything to get rid of his contract. Trust me, I know the reason we're losing is because of the pitching. However, when Freddy Garcia is one of the top names on the market, it doesn't get my hopes up that something can be done. Can we count on the offense to continue to produce at such a high rate though?

Freddy is one of the top names, but Kenny wants to upgrade this rotation. I just don't think the guy he wants is really on the market.

I would expect Buehrle Contreras and Garland to be good, Garcia looks like his arm might be fried.

Vazquez really hasn't been good for several years and has always been very overrated.

Still that gives you 3 very nice starters and 2 average ones, which is better than most in the league.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 05:35 PM)
Willis?

To be totally honest, tough I'm not entirely optimistic about his long term success in major league baseball, I'd be thrilled if Kenny found some way to pick him up before the deadline. He'd more than likely dominate the American League for the rest of this season with his funky delivery and arm angles.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
To be totally honest, tough I'm not entirely optimistic about his long term success in major league baseball, I'd be thrilled if Kenny found some way to pick him up before the deadline. He'd more than likely dominate the American League for the rest of this season with his funky delivery and arm angles.

I used to be against it. Now, I'm willing to give anyone a chance on our roster.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 03:00 PM)
We started the season off well last year, too, but began this year's like crap before kicking it into high gear.

We'll be fine.

And fathom: I'm glad you like the other teams better than ours, talent-wise. Did you feel that way last year, too, whenever we lost to the Red Sox or Yankees in the season?

last year we were never 4 games out though....lets not forget that