And That's A White Sox Loss

Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
At this point, I don't think there's any doubt the Yanks/Red Sox are better. The Tigers probably are, too.

I've been saying the same thing you are, though, if we can't acquire an impact starter, we better improve the lineup and try to win slugfests. At the very least, dump one of the starters and open up a spot for McCarthy.

I like your ideas for Plan A and Plan B.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:18 PM)
I'd consider trading Freddy Garcia. I don't see where I've ever said that I wouldn't. But I don't think I'd trade Freddy for a reliever, as our bullpen is one I'm confident in. I like and trust our bullpen, especially now without Politte. I know some people lost their minds after Friday's start and forgot that we'd had about a month of excellent bullpen work going into the start of this series, but I didn't, and I like our Pen as it stands.

I truly expect Javier to pitch much better in the second half, and Garland too. There should be no doubt that Buehrle'll be okay, and Contreras, either. Freddy's our weakness because he isn't throwing like he used to, but overall, I don't look at Freddy and say, "We're f***ed!" everytime we go into one of his games.

And, a clarification: by "We'll be fine" I meant the point that we had an awful beginning this year, then kicked it up. I think the same'll happen here. We were swept by the Yankees. We'll survive. :P

On a personal note, I think McCarthy is very overrated, and I don't think he ever becomes better than a third starter. I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't look at him and say, "Ace!"

If McCarthy's ceiling is as a third starter, that means he'd be pitching better than Freddy Garcia now. I'll certainly take it, wouldn't you?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 05:12 PM)
Javier Vazquez is going to have the second best second half of any pitcher on our team.

I hope you're right, but I highly doubt it.

Someone recently posted stats on Vazquez showing how his first time through the lineup opposing hitters have a miniscule batting average against him, second time through pretty small and then third time through astronomical. Therefore...

Sell the farm for Dontrelle Willis, and move Javy into the bullpen. Problems solved.