Second Half Predictions

Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 05:15 PM)
What've you got?

I won't predict wins, but I will say, "More than Detroit."

I think Javy will be our second best pitcher, behind the Count.

Bmac into the rotation. 2nd best pitcher in August behind the Count.

Freddy DLd or traded.

Anderson hits 280 from here on out for the rest of the year. He starts to show more power in late August.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 07:49 PM)
Can someone explain to me why Soxtalk has so much confidence in Vasquez?

Because he has movement AND velocity. His only problem is that he hangs the occasional pitch up in the zone. That can be fixed by a pitching coach. Freddy's problem can't be fixed without mainlining HGH into his bloodstream.

I think we'll win the wild card with a strong September.

Do you think our starting pitching "problems" stem from the fact four of the five starters aren't striking

out anybody to speak of?

Are you alarmed at our lack of power pitching? No K's mean trouble?

As bad as the staff has been, he's just seemed to get progressively worse as the season has gone on. I think he could end up doing fine, he just hasn't shown me anything to think that it's a certainty.

I think the Tigers and White Sox go to the end in a close division battle, with both contending for the playoffs.

As for the White Sox predictions, I think Thome and Dye cool a bit, Konerko will be his usual self, an dthe best pitcher will be Contreras.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 07:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can someone explain to me why Soxtalk has so much confidence in Vasquez?

Never heard of the guy

Javier Vazquez has always had a low whip, and great K/BB. Why does he have a .500 record (which to some means nothing) and a 4.5-5 ERA? It's because he gives up hits in bunches.

The guy is capable of shutting teams down and striking out 10 in an 8 inning performance. On the flip side, he can also go .2 innings giving up 7 runs. I rather have a guy like that over a guy who pretty much goes only 6 innings, gives up 3-6 runs an outing, and having similar overall numbers in terms of W-L and ERA.

Cooper has his hands full this second half.

Vasquez sounds alot like Jeremy Bonderman (always has had good stats, but would often struggle with men on base leading to outings that would look something liek: 5 ip 4 hits 4 ers 7 ks or of course the occasional 1 ip 7 hits 7 er 2 ks)

It seems Bonderman has figured things out this year, and isn't cracking under the pressure, if Vasquez can do the same thing he should be really good, maybe he needs to look back on his dominant season in Montreal and figure out what he was doing/thinking differently then.

QUOTE(loltrain @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)
Vasquez sounds alot like Jeremy Bonderman (always has had good stats, but would often struggle with men on base leading to outings that would look something liek: 5 ip 4 hits 4 ers 7 ks or of course the occasional 1 ip 7 hits 7 er 2 ks)

It seems Bonderman has figured things out this year, and isn't cracking under the pressure, if Vasquez can do the same thing he should be really good, maybe he needs to look back on his dominant season in Montreal and figure out what he was doing/thinking differently then.

Interesting comparison. I personally think Javy will figure it out and be pretty dominate..maybe a la Jose Contreras last season. If I recall correctly he was the guy everyone wanted traded last season. It isn't always the trade you make..sometimes it is the deals you do not make that turn out to be the difference.

That comparison is kinda dry for a ton of reasons but I'll just say the main one since I'm tired. Bonderman is 23 years old (going on 24 this season) Vazquez is 29 years old (turning 30 in a week from now) and in the prime of his career or just getting to it as far as pitchers. He has pitched more seasons and at that, pitched in the NL. I'm a huge Javier backer but comparing him to a young cat who is still very young and, season wise, is getting better is not a fair assessment.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 01:42 AM)
That comparison is kinda dry for a ton of reasons but I'll just say the main one since I'm tired. Bonderman is 23 years old (going on 24 this season) Vazquez is 29 years old (turning 30 in a week from now) and in the prime of his career or just getting to it as far as pitchers. He has pitched more seasons and at that, pitched in the NL. I'm a huge Javier backer but comparing him to a young cat who is still very young and, season wise, is getting better is not a fair assessment.

That's the only reason it's not really a good comparison.

Though this year, it probably has some truth.