WhiteSox History

JoshPR

WhiteSox History 1956

Standing second for slightly over a month into mid july and only four games out when an 11 game losing streak began on July 7th, the Whitesox slipped to fourth then ralied with 17 wins in 23 games to finish third for the fifth straight year (85-69_. Lefty Billy Pierce started 14-4, won his 20th Sept 13th but finished 20-9. Jim Wilson, Obtained from Baltimore in May in a six player deal, began 11-4 through july 3 but lost his next eight decisions and wound up 13-14. Jack Harshman was 15-11. Minnie Minoso hit .316 with 21 homers and 88 RBI's while Larry Doby, Acquired from Cleveland in the off-season for Jim Busby and Chico Carrasquel, batted .268 with a club high 24 homers and 102 RBI's, helping set a club record of 128 homers.

Baseball's only woman club president, Mrs. Grace Comiskey, daughter in-law of Founder Charles A Comiskey, Died Dec 10. Marty Marion was relived as manager after the season and replaced by Al Lopez.

The beginning of the Al Lopez era, which carried through to '65 I believe. The Sox teams battled the hated Yankees to the end almost every year and beat them in '59. Am I foggy in my memory or did it seem the Al Lopez managed a lot of those AL All-Star teams because the Yanks kept firing their manager?

The beginning of the Al Lopez era, which carried through to '65 I believe. The Sox teams battled the hated Yankees to the end almost every year and beat them in '59. Am I foggy in my memory or did it seem the Al Lopez managed a lot of those AL All-Star teams because the Yanks kept firing their manager?

Actually it was the last year of the Marty Marion era. The death of Grace Comiskey set off a whole set of events that had a negative impact on the franchise. Her siblings got in to a protracted legal battle that resulted in the sale of the team to Bill Veeck. The Sox swept the Yanks in Comiskey in June. It was downhill after that.