Duaner Sanchez

RudyLawRules

I know he's been mentioned in some trade rumors with the Mets. I hadn't seen him until the last 3 outs of the Cubs rout tonight on ESPN. Did anyone catch his performance? He struck out the side in the 9th with some sick stuff. Granted it was the Flubs...but he still looked great. Hmmm....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RudyLawRules @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 08:46 PM)
I know he's been mentioned in some trade rumors with the Mets. I hadn't seen him until the last 3 outs of the Cubs rout tonight on ESPN. Did anyone catch his performance? He struck out the side in the 9th with some sick stuff. Granted it was the Flubs...but he still looked great. Hmmm....

Reminds me of Francisco Rodriguez in about every way imaginable. Whether it's the goofy goggles, appearance, delivery -- all are similar.

I wouldn't mind including him in any proposed deal. Just add a quality prospect and we're good.

QUOTE(RudyLawRules @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 08:46 PM)

He started off the season with I believe 20+ scoreless innings.

He has it, but I'd prefer Gordon, and maybe even Heilman.

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 08:49 PM)
He started off the season with I believe 20+ scoreless innings.

He has it, but I'd prefer Gordon, and maybe even Heilman.

Why would you prefer the inferior talent? Risk of injury?

I watched Heilman pitch earlier and I can't say I was impressed. He had trouble finding the strike zone, not even including his HR allowed. I'm not judging on this appearance alone -- his numbers overall aren't bad -- but I'd prefer Sanchez.

If accepting Heilman meant a more advanced/talented prospect, then I'd be interested.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 08:55 PM)
Why would you prefer the inferior talent? Risk of injury?

I watched Heilman pitch earlier and I can't say I was impressed. He had trouble finding the strike zone, not even including his HR allowed. I'm not judging on this appearance alone -- his numbers overall aren't bad -- but I'd prefer Sanchez.

If accepting Heilman meant a more advanced/talented prospect, then I'd be interested.

Heilman has put up some great K rates for an RP and can even start if needed. Sanchez isn't a control freak either, in fact his BB/9 rates are worse than Heilmans'

Sanchez BB/9: 4.10

Heilman BB/9: 3.0

Down the line, you'd like to have a guy like Heilman who's so icredubly verstile. Sanchez is good, but why trade for a RP when you can trade for a SP/RP?

And Heilman hasn't been as bad as advertised. He has had 2 really bad outings and his ERA has inflated becuase of it.

Edited by SABR Sox

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 08:57 PM)
I'd love him, but again, why would the Mets deal him?

Because Williams will ask politely? Freddy Garcia is also a big game* pitcher

*big game applies to starts made in 2005 and against the Cubs this season.

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 07:04 PM)
Heilman has put up some great K rates for an RP and can even start if needed. Sanchez isn't a control freak either, in fact his BB/9 rates are worse than Heilmans'

Down the line, you'd like to have a guy like Heilman who's so icredubly verstile. Sanchez is good, but why trade for a RP when you can trade for a SP/RP?

And Heilman hasn't been as bad as advertised. He has had 2 really bad outings and his ERA has inflated becuase of it.

Sanchez stuff >>> Heilmans

Sanchez Upside >>> Heilmans

Sanchez has the ability to be a dominant reliever, Heilman has the ability to be a solid to mediocre starter or reliever.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)

Sanchez has the ability to be a dominant reliever, Heilman has the ability to be a solid to mediocre starter or reliever.

Anyone maybe think we could get them to take Garcia and possibly Montero for Duaner and Humber back? KW supposedly wants a young starter or starter prospect coming back as well. I guess it depends on how much kenny wants to keep Javy. Because I think that Minyana would do the deal with Vazquez- he has liked him as much as Kenny. The question is whther Kenny is willing to move him.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
Anyone maybe think we could get them to take Garcia and possibly Montero for Duaner and Humber back? KW supposedly wants a young starter or starter prospect coming back as well. I guess it depends on how much kenny wants to keep Javy. Because I think that Minyana would do the deal with Vazquez- he has liked him as much as Kenny. The question is whther Kenny is willing to move him.

Now Humber could be a guy I could see the Mets trading instead of Milledge or Pelfrey. How's he doing in the minors this season. I think he had an arm injury for quite a while, IIRC.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 01:02 AM)
Now Humber could be a guy I could see the Mets trading instead of Milledge or Pelfrey. How's he doing in the minors this season. I think he had an arm injury for quite a while, IIRC.

http://amazinz.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15776&

It's not much and they don't talk a whole hell of a lot about Humber but it's a small look into what Mets fans think of some of their spects. Also, I didn't notice Ring has been pitching so well for them in the Minors.

Basically Humber has been hurt forever and he's just recently gotten back.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)

Heilman's numbers >> Sanchez

I think you know with who I'm going with.

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 07:16 AM)
Heilman's numbers >> Sanchez

I think you know with who I'm going with.

What numbers are you using?

Sanchez 5-0, 39.2 IP, 39 H, 13 ER, 3 HR, 22 BB, 39 K, 2.36 ERA, 1.23 WHIP, .228 BAA

Heilman 0-3, 51.2 IP, 50 H, 26 ER, 5 HR, 18 BB, 41 K, 4.53 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, .256 BAA

Looks to me like:

Sanchez numbers >> Heilman's

It would take Garcia to get Sanchez. It depends on if the sox staff thinks Freddy can get his act together or not.

Humber was thrown in IIRC, three A games since coming back from Tommy John. He's definitely below Pelfrey and Milledge. Sox scouts would have to watch him throw to see what he's got.

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 09:04 PM)

this is exactly why i would be hesitate to deal for any of them...they both walk way too many hitters....i know its the NL where IBB are more frequent, but they are late inning guys who wouldnt IBB to get to a pitcher with a pinch hitter likely coming up....the walks would scare me off of sanchez a bit

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 08:53 AM)
this is exactly why i would be hesitate to deal for any of them...they both walk way too many hitters....i know its the NL where IBB are more frequent, but they are late inning guys who wouldnt IBB to get to a pitcher with a pinch hitter likely coming up....the walks would scare me off of sanchez a bit

Is everyone certain that Heilman really is as versatile as might have been previously thought?

I've heard more than a few times that he doesn't have the command of enough pitches to go through a lineup more than once effectively, and therefore, he will always be a reliever. Is there evidence to the contrary? It appears the Mets don't see him as a starter, as they stubbornly refuse to throw him in the rotation...

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 06:38 AM)
What numbers are you using?

Sanchez 5-0, 39.2 IP, 39 H, 13 ER, 3 HR, 22 BB, 39 K, 2.36 ERA, 1.23 WHIP, .228 BAA

Heilman 0-3, 51.2 IP, 50 H, 26 ER, 5 HR, 18 BB, 41 K, 4.53 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, .256 BAA

Looks to me like:

Sanchez numbers >> Heilman's

No. Heilman's periheral stats, his DIPS stats are better.

Heilman has pitched more innings and his ERA is inflated becuase of a few bad innings. Not that we should take them away, but RP's can look bad real quickly.

BTW, Sanchez' BABIP is pretty low, his aready high H/9 rate are in danger of going up. Heilman's BABIP is too high, his H/9 are going to decrease.

The White Sox asked the Mets for Duaner Sanchez and Mike Pelfrey for Freddy Garcia. No go. The Sox have spoken to several clubs about Garcia and Javier Vazquez but prefer to keep Vazquez since he's contractually tied to the team for three more years. Garcia has told people he wouldn't be devastated to go to New York.

Shockingly the Mets werent into the can we have one of your best relievers and one of your best young arms for our pile of poo. Then again maybe they remember the entire Kazmir debacle.

Pelfry and Sanchez for Garcia would get KW a book deal ala Billy Beane.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 05:21 PM)
Shockingly the Mets werent into the can we have one of your best relievers and one of your best young arms for our pile of poo. Then again maybe they remember the entire Kazmir debacle.

Yeah, I'm schocked too, what with reading how desperate teams like the Mets or Cardinals would be to get Freddy Garcia on their staff.

I say just get what you can, Sanchez is fine with me, and put B-Mac in the rotation. Addition by subtraction (and some addition).

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 05:21 PM)

God dammit. I love how teams become wise when we're the ones inquiring. Just realize your position Minaya and give us what we want! :)

f*** the Mets then. I hope they begin a tail-spin entering the trading deadline and Minaya caves into our demands.

Funny, I recall last offseason when all people would tell me is not to trade our starting pitchers because, "when the trading deadline comes around, teams are more desperate." Well, I've yet to observe it from our position.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 08:21 AM)

Pelfrey could almost be better than Garcia right now anyway, the way he is dominating AA.

Was never going to happen, and Minaya would be insane to give up his best pitching prospect right now.

If we ask for Phillip Humber instead though.............