Series Preview: Sox @ Tigers

Rowand44

By Justin Udany

After getting swept by the Yankees and seeing their wild card lead dip to three games, the Sox will head into Comerica Park for a battle with first place Detroit. The Sox come into this series facing their biggest divisional deficit of the year at 4.5 games and they really need a strong showing to get things going back on the right track. Luckily for the Sox, they have their two hottest starting pitchers at the moment pitching in this series, in Jon Garland and Jose Contreras.

Read More...

Edited by Rowand44

Just avoid a sweep. Falling 7.5 out of first place would seal the division for the Tigers.

It's probably the most important series we've played. Just think about it -- we could be talking the difference between 1.5 back and 7.5 back. That's a HUGE difference, obviously. I recall several years ago, believe it was 2002, where a similar situation faced us in Minnesota and we were swept. Minnesota never looked back.

And yes, I'm aware of what the Indians did last year. I just don't believe overcoming 7.5 game lead in late July is likely. Especially with a pitching staff which has failed to show consistency.

Yes, even if the worst does occur we're still in the wildcard race. Have to point that out because someone will probably mention it with a rolly eye emoticon.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Time to show the Tigers who first place belongs to. The White Sox may not be playing great right now, but had the Tigers been playing a good team this weekend instead of the Royals, they would've been swept as well. They're playing a good team over their next 3 games.

QUOTE(Bonderman38 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 09:48 PM)
That's a good prediction. I say you guys beat Kenny in the finale, but won't beat Nate or Jeremy.

I actually think the opposite. I think we will beat Nate and Jeremy but won't beat Rogers because he always gives us fits and pitches well against the sox. I'll say 3.5 games back after this series, hopefully 1.5 when it's all said and done.

QUOTE(Bonderman38 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
What would the bet be?

Loser avoids posting on Soxtalk for 2 weeks.

Since it's a 3-game series, I say the bet should be on which team takes the series.

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(shoota @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 12:52 AM)
Loser avoids posting on Soxtalk for 2 weeks.

Since it's a 3-game series, I say the bet should be on which team takes the series.

How about loser doesn't post for three days? Because I definetly don't want to go that long, and I'm sure you don't either.

QUOTE(BFirebird @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 11:56 PM)
He was just offering a suggestion...but whateva. :P

I'm a big enough boy to make my own bets. ;)

If the White Sox sweep the Tigers, you have to wear an Avatar that says "8-1" until the next series between our clubs. If the Sox win the series, but don't sweep, you don't post for a week.

If the Tigers sweep, I'll put, in my signature, "Detroit Tigers: On Pace to Win the Division" until the Tigers lose first(place) (if they lose first(place)).

If the Tigers simply win, EDITED: I'll put the aforementioned line in my signature.

And there we go.

I appreciate you handling it with class, Bonderman. I don't mind having you Tigers around, although I wish your team would leave! ;)

:cheers

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 12:09 AM)
I'm a big enough boy to make my own bets. ;)

And there we go.

I appreciate you handling it with class, Bonderman. I don't mind having you Tigers around, although I wish your team would leave! ;)

:cheers

I'm not sure I understand this bet, so 8-1 in his/her avatar is worse than being (for all intensive purposes) suspended from the board for 10 days? I'd think it would be the other way around a sweep would mean a 10 days of no posting and a series win would mean 7-2 being put in the avy. Also, I really think you should have to stop posting for 10 days if the Tigers sweep, it only makes it fair and it would ease the pain of a Tigers' sweep for a lot people on the board. ;)

I am not of the opinion that a Gestapo runs SoxTalk. If having that line in my signature would have me suspended for ten days, then something'd be more wrong with the staff here than with my signature, in my opinion.

Needless to say, I don't think that any of the Admins would say, "JIMINY JILLICKERS, RADIOACTIVE SIGNATURE!" when they saw that and call Milhouse to suspend me, but, truth be told, if such an extreme and needless action were taken, well, I'm a big boy.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 12:25 AM)
I am not of the opinion that a Gestapo runs SoxTalk. If having that line in my signature would have me suspended for ten days, then something'd be more wrong with the staff here than with my signature, in my opinion.

Needless to say, I don't think that any of the Admins would say, "JIMINY JILLICKERS, RADIOACTIVE SIGNATURE!" when they saw that and call Milhouse to suspend me, but, truth be told, if such an extreme and needless action were taken, well, I'm a big boy.

Well you just totally 100% misunderstood my post, read it again and see what you come up with.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 12:27 AM)
Well you just totally 100% misunderstood my post, read it again and see what you come up with.

Your bet suggestion has been noted and disregarded, unfortunately, as we've made our bet and have no problems with it. It is done.

I suppose I should've read the fine print in your post: "for all intents and purposes suspended for ten days." What, exactly, do you mean? That people will be mean to me?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 12:30 AM)
Your bet suggestion has been noted and disregarded, unfortunately, as we've made our bet and have no problems with it. It is done.

I suppose I should've read the fine print in your post: "for all intents and purposes suspended for ten days." What, exactly, do you mean? That people will be mean to me?

If you lose your posting abilities for 10 days due to a bet that's basically a suspension. Probably a poor choice of words but I figured it was clear enough that you could figure it out.

IMO, it's alot easier for a Tiger fan to not post on a sox board for a short time, than to have a sox poster basically worship the division rival in his sig basically embarrassing him as a sox fan.

Just my two cents, but it's their bet so, as usual, I'll back off. ;)

Edited by SoxAce