Pure Speculation: Garcia, Vazquez and Fields for Carlos Zambrano

shoota

As KW said, the Sox don't need mediocre pitching help, they need dominance. Zambrano is dominant. I'd feel quite comfortable going into the playoffs with Contreras, Buehrle and Zambrano as my top three pitchers.

Trading Garcia and Vazquez and only getting one SP in return opens a rotation spot for McCarthy.

This makes sense for the Cubs since it improves on their lack of starting pitching depth, and could form a nice 2007 rotation with Prior, Marshall and a FA/rookie filling out their starting five. The Cubs have Aramis signed through 2007 I believe, but he does have a choice to opt out of his contract and become a FA. Josh Fields would provide security in the case Aramis walks.

Why not turn this into an even bigger trade by acquiring Blanco and Williamson from the Cubs?

If the Sox were to get Z, Blanco and Williamson, we'd overtake the AL Central in terrorizing fashion.

Contreras

Buehrle

Zambrano

Garland

McCarthy

Tracey/Hermanson

Riske

Cotts

Williamson

Thornton

Jenks

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(shoota @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 02:35 PM)
As KW said, the Sox don't need mediocre pitching help, they need dominance. Zambrano is dominant. I'd feel quite comfortable going into the playoffs with Contreras, Buehrle and Zambrano as my top three pitchers.

Trading Garcia and Vazquez and only getting one SP in return opens a rotation spot for McCarthy.

This makes sense for the Cubs since it improves on their lack of starting pitching depth, and could form a nice 2007 rotation with Prior, Marshall and a FA/rookie filling out their starting five. The Cubs have Aramis signed through 2007 I believe, but he does have an option to opt out of his contract and become a FA. Josh Fields would provide security in the case Aramis walks.

Why not turn this into an even bigger trade by acquiring Blanco and Williamson from the Cubs?

If the Sox were to get Z, Blanco and Williamson, we'd take over the AL Central in terrorizing fashion.

I just don't think the Cubs would ever deal us one of their star players (or even fallen stars such as Prior) simply because of the manner in which it would upset their fans.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
The scary thing about Zambrano is that you never know when his arm will fall off. I think Dusty leaves him out there for an average of 164 pitches per game.

Good point, Dusty has overused him for years, yet I'd happily take the risk that Z and McCarthy could outpitch Garcia and Vazquez.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
I just don't think the Cubs would ever deal us one of their star players (or even fallen stars such as Prior) simply because of the manner in which it would upset their fans.

True, but I'd like to see KW try.

Honestly, it would kind of taint our 2006 World Championship having to benefit from the performances of 3 former Cubs' players.

Edited by shoota

Plus Zambrano acts like a big annoying baby.

Man it's a good thing I'm not a GM, eh?

FWIW Scott Williamson will never play for Ozzie, plus he sucks. If you're giving up 2 of your SPs and your #1 prospect in order to fill a semi-need while creating a huge one in your bullpen I'd say this is pretty counter-productive.

Not to mention the fact that this trade is beyond unplausible.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
The cubs have one good healthy young pitcher. So you suggest they trade that guy, for one guy who lost a ton of velocity on his fastball and someone who has been a gas can.

And the Sox can eat half of Freddy and Javy's remaining deals, while watching Zambrano walk as a free agent soon after. Yeah, I don't think that this will work for either side.

This trade would never happen. If they were going to trade Zambrano, which they probably aren't, I'd imagine they'd want a much better package with younger players. They'd probably ask for at least two top prospects (better than we have), one solid young major league starter and another prospect (something like B-Mac and Fields, although that still might not be enough), or a major league stud (something like Buehrle and maybe another prospect0. They're not going to take two 30-year old starters back that are significantly worse than Zambrano.

It'd be much more likely that they try to re-sign him and he ends up walking. Then we'd just have to give him a ridiculous sum of money.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

Its not like they would go anywhere. If years of bad and, quite frankly, pathetic baseball didn't do it, I wouldn't expect that trading Zambrano to the Sox would.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 03:08 PM)
I wanted to go for something a little more realistic in this sig and I believe I accomplished that.

That new sig is balls. Amazing work.

As for the original post, let's forget the Cubs, call Minnesota, throw in Widger and Tracey so we can make the deal Flamethrowin' Freddy, Javy, Fields, Widge, & Tracey for Santana and Mauer!

Edited by Contreras' Crew