"Beyond Awful"

santo=dorf

Carmen had a "good" e-mail tonight regarding Chris Widger and the possibility of acquiring Henry Blanco. I hope they ask Levine about it and see if he can plant the idea in Kenny's head. My computer is pretty screw up, but I have attached a recording of it.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 10:58 PM)
Carmen had a "good" e-mail tonight regarding Chris Widger and the possibility of acquiring Henry Blanco. I hope they ask Levine about it and see if he can plant the idea in Kenny's head. My computer is pretty screw up, but I have attached a recording of it.

Someone was just asking me about this, and if I knew anything about it. Good post ........

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 09:23 AM)
Widge 06=Timo 05 around here lately..

f***, I wish he could put up '05 Timo numbers. He batted .218 in 2005 and was super clutch.

Widger is terrible. Let's not confuse that with the board having a vendetta against him. He can't hit and calls a terrible game. He really serves no purpose.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 09:33 AM)
=Crede/Garland04=Rowand03....

Those guys were all young guys working through some growing pains. Widger is an old man that was never very good in the first place and now offers nothing good to this team. The only thing I can think of that he contributes is that he can give AJ the occasional day off. And if we want someone to sit behind the plate and call a bad game every so often while throwing nobody out, we might as well put PK back there. At least the offense from the catcher position would be upgraded.

Can somebody explain to me why everyone is down on Widger?

Seriously, I'm not being facetious.

Is it because his bat sucks? I know that people here have commented on how he calls pitches. I just haven't paid attention. But maybe some bullet points on why we need to get rid of Widge?

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 09:47 AM)

Is it because his bat sucks? I know that people here have commented on how he calls pitches. I just haven't paid attention. But maybe some bullet points on why we need to get rid of Widge?

He is 0 for his last 19. It feels like every game he plays, we lose.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 09:47 AM)

His hitting is not bad, its down right awful. I think had stranded about 60 people on base. When he catches pitchers tend to give up about 7 runs.

We shoudl try out Chris Stewart. He really can't be much worse.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 10:51 AM)
We shoudl try out Chris Stewart. He really can't be much worse.

He's hitting .264/.322/.394 in AAA, which is a hitters park IIRC. I doubt he'd be able to match Widger's offensive numbers in the bigs.

I like the Henry Blanco idea but I just don't think it's gonna happen, for two reasons, neither of which are liked by this board ... I still don't think the Cubs will trade with the Sox and Widger is a big part of the clubhouse. Just my opinion. I know those two reasons will get pffffd by this board, especially the 2nd one, but IMO that's why I think backup catcher will be status quo.

That said I would take Blanco over Widger in a hearbeat, if for nothing else than Blanco's arm.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 09:58 AM)
I like the Henry Blanco idea but I just don't think it's gonna happen, for two reasons, neither of which are liked by this board ... I still don't think the Cubs will trade with the Sox and Widger is a big part of the clubhouse. Just my opinion. I know those two reasons will get pffffd by this board, especially the 2nd one, but IMO that's why I think backup catcher will be status quo.

That said I would take Blanco over Widger in a hearbeat, if for nothing else than Blanco's arm.

I sadly agree.

Are there any other realistic options out there, though?

QUOTE(Chisoxrd5 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
You have to admit that this claim has much more creedance than those did. Teh Widge brings very little to the table.

He is also a back up catcher. AJ plays 120-130 games a year, so we are talking about a minimal sample here. I know Widger hasn't been good but geesh.

I get the strong impression that Chris Stewart was set to be the backup C next year anyway. So if we make a change this year, I'd favor bringing up Stewart as a 3rd C when the rosters expand, and play him a bunch. If Widge continues to suck, then you can choose to carry Stewart instead of Widger on the post-season roster. A trade isn't worth it.