"Beyond Awful"

santo=dorf

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
We are actually at .500 when he plays in a game.

13-13

Right, they are 13-13 when Widger plays, but they have lost the last 5 times he's played. AJ said on Mike North's show this morning that he will most likely play just about every day the rest of the season.

Looks like Widger will have to get the old softball team back together after this season.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 10:42 AM)
He is also a back up catcher. AJ plays 120-130 games a year, so we are talking about a minimal sample here. I know Widger hasn't been good but geesh.

Well I agree, to blame every loss of the season on a backup catcher is ridiculous. And if you look at the history of catchers, let alone backup catchers, in White Sox recent history, then Widger falls right in line.

We caught lightning in a bottle with Widger's play last season. But given the way all of the aspects of his game have declined from a season ago, wouldn't it make some sense to give Chris Stewart a chance?

QUOTE(Sox1422 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 10:53 AM)
Right, they are 13-13 when Widger plays, but they have lost the last 5 times he's played. AJ said on Mike North's show this morning that he will most likely play just about every day the rest of the season.

Looks like Widger will have to get the old softball team back together after this season.

AJ actually said that? If there's any truth to that at all, it shows that the whole team and organization feels the same way about Widger as all of us "overreacters."

Here is a possibility for a back up catcher to replace Widger:

Alomar Headed Out?

Sandy Alomar Jr. has just two at-bats since the Dodgers acquired Toby Hall from Tampa Bay on June 27, and Manager Grady Little indicated that should the club make a deal before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, Alomar could be the odd man out.

"When the time comes when we could better ourselves, that's a possibility," Little said.

QUOTE(Sox1422 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 10:53 AM)
AJ said on Mike North's show this morning that he will most likely play just about every day the rest of the season.

I find that hard to believe. Don't we have a stretch of 20 straight games coming up? Ozzie would be an idiot if he didn't give AJ an occasional day off.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 06:37 PM)
I find that hard to believe. Don't we have a stretch of 20 straight games coming up? Ozzie would be an idiot if he didn't give AJ an occasional day off.

I would bet AJ plays about 17-18 of those. He said "Just about every" not every.

QUOTE(Sox1422 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 01:34 PM)

Alomar Headed Out?

Sandy Alomar Jr. has just two at-bats since the Dodgers acquired Toby Hall from Tampa Bay on June 27, and Manager Grady Little indicated that should the club make a deal before the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline, Alomar could be the odd man out.

"When the time comes when we could better ourselves, that's a possibility," Little said.

:lol:

Backing up back-up

Guillen expressed support for backup catcher Chris Widger even though Sox pitchers have a 5.50 ERA when he is behind the plate.

"I think Widger just puts the fingers down, and they throw," Guillen said. "I can't go blaming the catcher. Most of the time, when Widger was here last year, he was pretty good behind the plate. Right now, you cannot blame the guys behind the plate. You have to blame the guys throwing the ball."

Sox pitchers had a 3.30 ERA in games Widger caught last year.

And hence why Ozzie keeps throwing him out there. Guess who will be starting tomorrow in the swing game.

QUOTE(AssHatSoxFan @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 08:12 AM)
reminds me of the simpsons episode where Mr. Burns takes out Daryl Strawberry(lefty) to have Homer (righty) face the left handed pitcher.... "But I have 9 Homeruns today!"

LOL

That's priceless.

QUOTE(DonkeyKongerko @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 03:55 AM)
Ozzie loves his matchups and can't stand to send AJ out there vs. Kenny. It's like he has this magic pair of blinders that only lets him see his righties when a southpaw is on the hill and vice versa.

What I really can't stand is that Ozzie said himself that the Tiger series was a big one, yet he threw two utility players into the lineup in only the second game. And of course, Mackowiak misplayed a ball that ended up hurting us, as he does every single game he starts in CF.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)
What I really can't stand is that Ozzie said himself that the Tiger series was a big one, yet he threw two utility players into the lineup in only the second game. And of course, Mackowiak misplayed a ball that ended up hurting us, as he does every single game he starts in CF.

This has to be one of the biggest series of the season. The Sox could have come out 1.5 games back to 7.5 games back. I'm getting sick and tired of Ozzie's lineups and pitching management. I forget who it is, but somebody has the percentage of games that the starting lineup played; its something like 33%. Do any other teams rest their starters this much, especially right after the All-Star break?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)

Why the hell did we get Makowiak? He's a utility corner outfielder who can play a little 3rd and 1st. We are completely misusing him.

It amazes me the conversations that happen in here about Ozzie's use of subs. Yeah, I'd say Anderson should see a little more time, now that he is hitting. But as we saw last year, and are seeing this year, one of the reasons Ozzie's teams do so well is that he gives his guys some rest AND gives his bench enough playing time to be good.

And yet, people seem to so easily forget that, and then blame a loss on the fact that Mack or Cintron or Ozuna are in the lineup. I mean, those guys are all good hitters anyway. But besides that, in case no one noticed, that hasn't been our problem.

Starting pitching, starting pitching and starting pitching are the problem.

And as for pulling Javy after 4 or 5 innings as soon as he gives up a hit... I can't believe people would consider that. If Vazquez can't ever last 6 innings, and/or can't survive an inning once he gives up a run, then he shouldn't be starting at all. Thats at least a logical argument to make. But until he is traded or replaced, he needs to be treated like a starter, or he'll never get any better.

:cheers to having a long term perspective!

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 09:47 AM)
And as for pulling Javy after 4 or 5 innings as soon as he gives up a hit... I can't believe people would consider that. If Vazquez can't ever last 6 innings, and/or can't survive an inning once he gives up a run, then he shouldn't be starting at all. Thats at least a logical argument to make. But until he is traded or replaced, he needs to be treated like a starter, or he'll never get any better.

In my eyes he shouldn't be a starter with us anymore. Reminds me of the Politte situation. How many times must we get burned by the exact same type of outing before we realize the guy is basically worthless?

It amazes me the conversations that happen in here about Ozzie's use of subs. Yeah, I'd say Anderson should see a little more time, now that he is hitting. But as we saw last year, and are seeing this year, one of the reasons Ozzie's teams do so well is that he gives his guys some rest AND gives his bench enough playing time to be good.

And yet, people seem to so easily forget that, and then blame a loss on the fact that Mack or Cintron or Ozuna are in the lineup. I mean, those guys are all good hitters anyway. But besides that, in case no one noticed, that hasn't been our problem.

We all know the Vazquez likes to catastrophically implode when something doesn't go his way. Surely Ozzie knows it too. So what does he do? He backs up Vaz with Mackowiak, aka Mr. Bad Jump, and Cintron, who, while decent, isn't exactly a defensive stud.

If you know your pitcher needs A+ defense behind him, why take out two of your best defensive options?

Ha, he's had about 10 years of ML experience to "get better." It clearly ain't happening.

And about the subs, this series is huge by Ozzie's own admission. It wouldn't kill the starters to play 3 straight games after an off day and a few days after the all-star break.

Alomar Headed Out?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
:lol:

Ha. My idea was laughed at, but look who was right.

Love the pick up. Love it!

Edited by Sox1422

Let me preface this by saying I've been one of Ozzie's biggest 'defenders' when it comes to how he handles his team. I thought they way he rested starters and kept his bench sharp was one the keys to last year's success. However, in a conversation with my father before the Detroit series I said that Ozzie has to keep Anderson in CF regardless of pitching matchups. With that big outfield in Comerica, Brian should have been in CF for every inning of that series.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 12:32 PM)
Let me preface this by saying I've been one of Ozzie's biggest 'defenders' when it comes to how he handles his team. I thought they way he rested starters and kept his bench sharp was one the keys to last year's success. However, in a conversation with my father before the Detroit series I said that Ozzie has to keep Anderson in CF regardless of pitching matchups. With that big outfield in Comerica, Brian should have been in CF for every inning of that series.

I agree 100%. Defense becomes more important when the pitchers are struggling.

Brian should get the overwhelming bulk of the playing time.

Just give him a day off every now and then.