Hawk on the Score this morning

Hangar18

we all know the five horsemen need to get their s*** together.

As a guy who is around the team all the time, what Hawk and DJ need to tell us is:

A)Why has Freddy become a soft tosser and curveball addict?

B) Why does Vaz lose concentraion?

C) What's Buehrle doing to fix his ability to pinpoint the ball?

D) Is Garland capable of getting into the kind of groove he found last spring -- and October?

E) Can the Count dominate over the last two months again?

Insight.

We don't get any from our TV guys.

Shame.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 11:49 AM)
we all know the five horsemen need to get their s*** together.

As a guy who is around the team all the time, what Hawk and DJ need to tell us is:

A)Why has Freddy become a soft tosser and curveball addict?

B) Why does Vaz lose concentraion?

C) What's Buehrle doing to fix his ability to pinpoint the ball?

D) Is Garland capable of getting into the kind of groove he found last spring -- and October?

E) Can the Count dominate over the last two months again?

Insight.

We don't get any from our TV guys.

Shame.

I think it is a little more difficult than that.

I think these are a lot of questions that Don Cooper doesn't even necessarily have answers to, because if he did, I think our guys would be pitching a lot better. You can't expect Hawk and DJ to have these answers.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 11:55 AM)
I think it is a little more difficult than that.

I think these are a lot of questions that Don Cooper doesn't even necessarily have answers to, because if he did, I think our guys would be pitching a lot better. You can't expect Hawk and DJ to have these answers.

I see poorly placed pitches and a downturn in velocity from MBuehrle. Cooper cant do much about that.

Vazquez continues to poorly place pitches, forget where he is, etc. That nonsense works in the NL, but not the AL, you'll get lit up, which is whats happening now. Coop can only tell him to THINK so much .....

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
Buehrle's problem isn't pitch speed. He's never thrown it fast. The problem is he is leaving pitches up and his control is off.

Exactly. Not new news there.

Looks like he tried something new, it didn't work so well, but it's stuck.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 12:07 PM)
Exactly. Not new news there.

Looks like he tried something new, it didn't work so well, but it's stuck.

He isn't trying anything new. He's doing the same crap he was in the first half of 04'- leaving everything up over the plate. He simply needs to hit the corners and keep the ball down and he'll be fine.

Mark is the least of my worries.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
He isn't trying anything new. He's doing the same crap he was in the first half of 04'- leaving everything up over the plate. He simply needs to hit the corners and keep the ball down and he'll be fine.

I really hope he isnt hurt, and that hes just in one of his "slumps" as was pointed out by others.

MB eats innings, and thats as important right now ...........

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)

Such a cheery poster you are..

I really liked the part of the interview where Hawk was talking about Ozzie. t was interesting to here him say how great it is that Ozzie will always take the blame for his coaching staff no matter what the problem is. He also says that on road trips all the coaches are real laid back and laughing. I think it shows a lot about Ozzies team pride and his knowledge of teamwork and unity.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 12:30 PM)
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a grump.

You didnt sound grumpy at all. Buehrle has indeed been leaving his pitches up for batters to club all over the park. You give up 11 runs to the Cubs, you know you stunk badly

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 05:06 PM)
Buehrle's problem isn't pitch speed. He's never thrown it fast. The problem is he is leaving pitches up and his control is off.

Garcia tries to challenge homerun hitters inside with an 85-88 MPH fastball and loses and also hangs pitches

Vazquez doesn't go after the hitters to put them away and tosses junk up there with a 2 strike count on them. He loses his concentration also.

Pitchers who should pitch inside don't and there seems to be a poor pitch selection from time to time

I don't know how many more times I can hear Hawk say we are the best team in baseball. No, we're not, Detroit is right now. I really like Hawk, but I wish he would give some insight instead of spewing company lines. Does Kenny or Jerry prep him before he gives an interview? I almost wish we had Steve Stone in the broadcast booth, at least he is not afraid to tell it like it is.

QUOTE(soxpride77 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
I don't know how many more times I can hear Hawk say we are the best team in baseball. No, we're not, Detroit is right now. I really like Hawk, but I wish he would give some insight instead of spewing company lines. Does Kenny or Jerry prep him before he gives an interview? I almost wish we had Steve Stone in the broadcast booth, at least he is not afraid to tell it like it is.

Not to sound like a homer myself, but until someone beats us...we are the best team in baseball. That's what winning the World Series gets you. AND, even though we've lost 5 of 6, we STILL have the second best record in baseball right now.

FYI...

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
Not to sound like a homer myself, but until someone beats us...we are the best team in baseball. That's what winning the World Series gets you. AND, even though we've lost 5 of 6, we STILL have the second best record in baseball right now.

FYI...

The World Series is a past accomplishment, besides the title of defending world champions, it has nothing to do with this year. We have the second best record in the best division in baseball right now. To me, that means 2nd best team in baseball. This team is not the same one that won the World Series. Some parts of it are better, some parts are worse. I hate to sound negative, but if we say the Tigers are not the best team right now, then we are doing to them exactly what everyone did to us last year. I think we are a really great but inconsistent team. Until we are in first-place with the best record in baseball, I really don't think we are the best team.

QUOTE(soxpride77 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 05:43 PM)
The World Series is a past accomplishment, besides the title of defending world champions, it has nothing to do with this year. We have the second best record in the best division in baseball right now. To me, that means 2nd best team in baseball. This team is not the same one that won the World Series. Some parts of it are better, some parts are worse. I hate to sound negative, but if we say the Tigers are not the best team right now, then we are doing to them exactly what everyone did to us last year. I think we are a really great but inconsistent team. Until we are in first-place with the best record in baseball, I really don't think we are the best team.

Most insightful post of the season. Congrats.

I am so tired of reading how the Tigers are weak here or there and how they are going to collapse or how they can not keep up this pace. They are not only in first place in all of baseball, they are leading or close to leading every major important team statistical category in the majors. You do not do that because you are lucky. I hope the Sox spank them in the next three games, but the fact is they are 4.5 games better than the Sox right now. In a game of inches that is a pretty sizable lead. Also, even with the 2nd best record in baseball, there are several teams pretty close to the WS heels in the WC race. I am more worried about Minnesota and NY right now than I am about catching the Tigers.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)

FYI...

Yes, you can certainly run with that argument. However, I don't think we heard Hawk using that logic last year and asserting Boston was the best team in baseball.

SFF

Edited by SpringfieldFan

QUOTE(soxpride77 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 05:43 PM)

I agree that to argue which team is the best in baseball is ludicrous. However, it is just as ludicrous to knock a fan/announcer of a team for thinking his team is the best. I think the Sox are the best team in baseball. I know you may not share that opinion and god knows I know that Detroit fans won't share that opinion, but I would never try to convince them otherwise. My personal belief is the Sox are the best team. They are the defending world champs with the second best record in baseball to a team that is 1-6 against them. It's enough for me, I know it's not enough for all. I'm not saying Detroit isn't good, I'm just saying personally, I won't give them the title of "best in baseball" over the sox just because they beat up on some other teams. It's just my opinion, which is why there's no arguing it.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 01:23 AM)
The argument of best team in baseball is pointless. Like every year, we will find out in the last week of October who the best team in baseball actually is.

Kind of like when people continue to say that the north side team has the best fans in baseball.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

QUOTE(soxpride77 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)

Can you imagine how entertaining it would be to have Hawk and Stone together. A cheerleader calling the game with an icy say it how it is guy supplying the color. The tension would be amazing anytime something went wrong and Stoney called it out while Hawk tried to cover it up. Plus, when the Sox are kicking ass, Stone would be cheering with Hawk at those points.

Steve Stone is the model that all baseball broadcasters should aspire to become.

Gosh, it sounds like I have a man-crush on him. :lol: