Get rid of the penny?

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 12:44 PM)
My question is more to that point -- why will those changes be necessary?

What does a business do when the amount isn't in nickels? New rounding rules? Something has to change. Or, if they change everything to increment in nickels, that is also a change. For a large business, like say a Walmart, that is a HUGE change to have to make. Cash registers, software, training, etc.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 01:49 PM)
What does a business do when the amount isn't in nickels? New rounding rules? Something has to change. Or, if they change everything to increment in nickels, that is also a change. For a large business, like say a Walmart, that is a HUGE change to have to make. Cash registers, software, training, etc.

I'm just skeptical about this. Why would Walmart's problem be any different than a scaled-up version of what many mom-and-pop stores face? There are a bunch I know of who've chosen on their own to eliminate nickels. If the costs are so great, why would they choose to make the switch?

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 01:03 PM)
I'm just skeptical about this. Why would Walmart's problem be any different than a scaled-up version of what many mom-and-pop stores face? There are a bunch I know of who've chosen on their own to eliminate nickels. If the costs are so great, why would they choose to make the switch?

For any one mom & pop store, the cost is minimal. For Walmart, not minimal. Add up all of it all over the country, from stores to banks to change machines to charities etc., and its a lot more than $40M, I'd bank on it.

But really, to me, its just a silly waste of time for Congress to be mucking around with it anyway. Sooooooo many better things for them to be doing.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 01:32 PM)
But really, to me, its just a silly waste of time for Congress to be mucking around with it anyway. Sooooooo many better things for them to be doing.

And if they really want to acheive cost savings for Americans they could try looking at smaller government, less layers of bureaucracy, less duplicate functions, more private sector activity...etc etc...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 11:48 AM)
And if they really want to acheive cost savings for Americans they could try looking at smaller government, less layers of bureaucracy, less duplicate functions, more private sector activity...etc etc...

Balancing the budget and paying down the national debt...getting out of Iraq...Finding those few tens of billions in Iraq we're missing...

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 01:50 PM)
Balancing the budget and paying down the national debt...getting out of Iraq...Finding those few tens of billions in Iraq we're missing...

Bringing in consulting firms to do real business analysis for the agencies to set real performance benchmarks and base budgeting on those projected costs... truth in legislation act to keep pork out of bills or keep the local pork to a single budget bill...

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 12:06 PM)
Bringing in consulting firms to do real business analysis for the agencies to set real performance benchmarks and base budgeting on those projected costs... truth in legislation act to keep pork out of bills or keep the local pork to a single budget bill...

prc060719.gif