2006 Congressional Elections Thread

Rex Kickass

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 8, 2006 -> 12:39 PM)
Heads, I finally saw a poll on IA-1. Democratic candidate was up like 13 points.

REALLY. I honestly thought Whalen would be closer, especially in a district that has supported Nussle for so long.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)
Yup, I just saw the poll showing Braley ahead of Whalen 54-41....meaning the Eastern part of Iowa will switch from red to blue should everything hold.

From what I have been reading lately, northeastern Iowa has found itself moving that way anyway. The northeastern corner of IA, particularly in the driftless area, has become a popular spot for exurbanites to build homes, communes and various compounds. Also a very popular place for organic farmers.

The rest of Iowa on the other hand (aside from Des Moines), with the loss of the Farm Democrats, has trended right. Sort of an interesting duality going on there.

I think it's a lot of growth in communities like Decorah and along the US 20 corridor from Waterloo east.

It's nice near me, dammit.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 11:12 AM)
From what I have been reading lately, northeastern Iowa has found itself moving that way anyway. The northeastern corner of IA, particularly in the driftless area, has become a popular spot for exurbanites to build homes, communes and various compounds. Also a very popular place for organic farmers.

The rest of Iowa on the other hand (aside from Des Moines), with the loss of the Farm Democrats, has trended right. Sort of an interesting duality going on there.

I just noticed this....what the heck does that mean? :P

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 03:46 PM)
I think it's a lot of growth in communities like Decorah and along the US 20 corridor from Waterloo east.

It's nice near me, dammit.

I just noticed this....what the heck does that mean? :P

Jeez, I don't know what I meant by compounds - I don't think that is what I meant to type. Communes, yes. But I think I meant co-ops or something. Feel free to ignore that part.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 11, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
New Zogby polls. They are all over the place.

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/doc...778&hasAd=1

The NJ one is about right. The others, no clue.

Zobgy Polls = Miss Cleo

banner_jk.gif pixel.gif pixel.gif box.gif Dear Tex,

I remember when I was back home from Vietnam and veterans were speaking out against the Vietnam war policy, someone yelled at the vets: "You should support the troops." One of those veterans said simply: "Lady, we are the troops."

With a war in Iraq gone horribly wrong and a Republican attack machine determined to smear those who speak out, there's nothing more important this fall than electing veterans to Congress who can speak out about Iraq with a special moral authority.

And man, do we need them. Recently, John "Randy" Kuhl, a Republican incumbent House member from New York, returned from a visit to Iraq. He reported that things were going well. In fact, he says he almost forgot he was in a war zone.

I can't tell you whether that hard-to-believe comment reflects his disconnect with reality or his refusal to level with the people he represents. But, I can tell you this: No one who knows what it really means to be in a war zone would talk like that.

If you act now to support Eric Massa, the 24-year Navy veteran running against Kuhl, there will be one less Congressman in Washington next year who blindly supports the failed Republican policy in Iraq.

Eric served in Desert Storm, Bosnia and Beirut. And he's telling people the truth about Iraq -- that there is no purely military solution to the problems there. He, three other proud veterans I'll tell you about in a moment, and VoteVets.org, a political action committee founded to support candidates like them, need your help right now.

SUPPORT OUR "FOUR VETS, FOUR VICTORIES" CAMPAIGN

Our "Four Vets, Four Victories" campaign can help change the face of Congress if you act now. Every one of these candidates has served America under fire. And every one of them can win the opportunity to serve again on November 7th if we act now.

Chris Carney, a veteran of multiple military operations, is in a toss-up race against Don Sherwood, another rubber-stamp Republican incumbent who has failed to ask tough questions about the Bush administration's aimless policies in Iraq.

Joe Sestak, a former three-star Admiral who served in the Navy for 31 years, is another veteran on the road to victory in Pennsylvania. He's running against Curt Weldon, a Republican incumbent in the Rick Santorum camp who believes the "jury is still out" on weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, despite overwhelming and undeniable proof to the contrary.

The third in our trio of Pennsylvania veterans running to change the face of Congress is Patrick Murphy. He is an Iraq War veteran, former West Point professor, and criminal prosecutor. Patrick is on the verge of victory if we give him the financial support he needs to compete in the countdown to Election Day.

Nothing would make me prouder than to know that our "Four Vets, Four Victories" campaign helped carry these impressive candidates to Congress. That's the outcome that's within reach, but only if you rush your financial support to one or more of these candidates.

Every day it becomes more apparent how hard the Republican Party and its candidates will struggle to hold on to power in these elections. They'll throw everything they've got at our candidates. We've got to be there with our financial support.

So, pick one candidate or donate to all four. But, whatever you do, don't stay on the sidelines. This is your opportunity to stand side-by-side with veterans who have already given so much to America and who are ready to provide the leadership we need in Washington.

Thank you for all you are doing in the critical buildup to Election Day.

Sincerely,

John Kerry

P.S. There's one other critical way you can help veterans running for office. Support VoteVets.org, a political action committee formed by Iraq veterans to support Iraq and Afghanistan veterans who are running for Congress. VoteVets.org is providing campaigns with training and support and running TV ads critical of candidates who support the failed "stay the course" policy of the Bush administration.

So, in addition to supporting our four candidates, I hope you'll consider standing with VoteVets.org.

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Sep 12, 2006 -> 07:05 PM)
George Allen down by 7.5?

The solution to that...ETHNIC RALLY!

Winners tonight:

Lincoln Chaffee eeked out a primary win over Stephen Laffey. The Democrats still have a good shot at a pickup here. The Dems may have turned out more voters for a meaningless primary than the Republicans did for a contested one.

MD-04: Wynn 51%--Edwards 45%, with 50% reporting (Dem Primary).

MD-Sen: Cardin 47%--Mfume 37%. 64% reporting.

In Connecticut's U.S. Senate race, a new SurveyUSA poll shows Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-CT) soundly defeating Ned Lamont (D) and Alan Schlesinger ®. Lieberman gets 51%, Lamont 38% with Schlesinger trailing at just 7%.

Key finding: 83% of the Democrats who voted for Lieberman in the Democratic Primary, which Lamont won by 4 points, stick with Lieberman as an Independent in the General Election.

Other key finding: 57% of those who prefer Lamont say they are voting "against" another candidate. 60% of those who vote Lieberman say they are voting "for" Lieberman.

In Tennessee's U.S. Senate race, a new SurveyUSA poll shows Rep. Harold Ford, Jr. (D-TN) and Bob Corker ® "locked in a fierce fight." Ford leads 48% to 45%, however, the result is within the 4% margin of error.

Napolitano leads here in AZ over Lee Munsil 52% to 37%. Munsil faced a stiff challenge by Don Goldwater who was an extreme right winger who wanted to arrest all illegals and make them work on a fence to surround the AZ border.

Also in AZ-8 31 year old Gabby Giffords won the democratic nomination and is taking on Randy Graf. This is an interesting race it is to succeed Jim Kolbe who is a republican and completing his 11th term after after starting in 1985. Giffords leads by 10 but it is worth noting that this district has never sent a woman or democratic candidate to the House and Arizona has only sent 3 women to the house in its history.

Also polls here which seem to rebuke Rasmussen have Jon Kyl and Jim Peterson with in 6 points. Kyl is having to defend his pro Bush record which is hurting him according to the Senate's voting record Kyl has Supported Bush 95.8% of all votes. Kyl is also having to defend his pro oil stance which he voted for tax breaks 6 times and voted against penalties for price gouger's while valley residents are paying $2.70 a gallon. Kyl is also taking heat for his votes against min wage increases and his votes to cut Social Security.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
Ah yes. Hmmm... 11 minus 9 is 2... just two months left to elections!!! Time to ratchet up the fear mongering and strident overtones!

Well sure enough, as a follow up to this, Bush got the bump he was looking for when he started in with this stuff. He got a few of the core GOPers behind him again. Not much movement outside the GOP, though - I think he was trying to grab back some Indies, but failed.

So now, of course, the bump will fade. Its just a questions of how much it will fade between now and the November midterms. I think maybe Bush did this stuff a bit too early, unless he has some other tricks up his sleeve (which Rove... I mean Bush... might).

Last check on Rasmussen showed their projections in the Senate at 49 R to 48 D with 3 tossups (Jeffords is counted as D). I think its going to be close.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 06:24 AM)
Well sure enough, as a follow up to this, Bush got the bump he was looking for when he started in with this stuff. He got a few of the core GOPers behind him again. Not much movement outside the GOP, though - I think he was trying to grab back some Indies, but failed.

So now, of course, the bump will fade. Its just a questions of how much it will fade between now and the November midterms. I think maybe Bush did this stuff a bit too early, unless he has some other tricks up his sleeve (which Rove... I mean Bush... might).

Last check on Rasmussen showed their projections in the Senate at 49 R to 48 D with 3 tossups (Jeffords is counted as D). I think its going to be close.

Rassmussen has been running a daily tracking poll on Mr. Bush's approval ratings for quite some time. Here's what they saw last weekend, going along with his big 9/11 anniversary push.

Bush Job Approval

Sept 2005 - Current

Approve Disapprove

Sep 19 40 58

Sep 18 41 58

Sep 17 41 57

Sep 16 44 54

Sep 15 45 53

Sep 14 47 50

Sep 13 45 52

Sep 12 44 54

Sep 11 41 57

Sep 10 42 56

Sep 9 42 56

This is from that article with the Gallup poll:

The telephone poll of 1,003 people was conducted September 15-17, and has a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.
44 would be right in line with what Rasmussen was seeing, and Ras already has the post-911 bounce fading.

It's still going to be a close-run election...and the media is going to do all they can, as they always do, to spin this as "Bush's big bounce is finally here", but in the daily tracking polls, it's already fading.

Other stuff:

CONNECTICUT (Governor, Senate)

Rasmussen Senate | governor. 9/13-14. Likely voters. MoE 4.5% (8/21 results)

Senate

Lieberman (CfL) 45 (45)

Lamont (D) 43 (43)

Schlesinger ® 5 (6)

TEXAS (Governor)

SurveyUSA. 9/16-18. Likely voters. MoE 4.3 (6/23-25 results)

Perry ® 35 (35)

Bell (D) 23 (20)

Strayhorn (I) 15 (19)

Friedman (I) 23 (21)

Warner (L) 2

RHODE ISLAND (Governor, Senate)

Brown University. 9/16-18. Likely voters. MoE 4% (6/24-26 results)

Senate

Chafee ® 39 (37)

Whitehouse (D) 40 (38)

No real interesting race in my area. The only thing I'm interested in is how badly Sparky The Clown (aka Raymond Wardingley) is gonna get pounded at the polls by Dan Lipinski. Why do the Cook County Republican bosses continue to trot that guy out? He must be a glutton for pain.

I wasn't sure where to put this...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&...q_congress_dc_1

So, Congress says yes to Iraq war funding, but puts clauses in there such that the U.S. cannot have permanent military bases in Iraq, and also places restrictions on US control of the Iraqi oil industry.

Its funny how in the last month or so, Congress has actually done a number of things I was pretty happy about. Its election time, and suddenly they all remember what's important. Gotta love politics.