2006 Congressional Elections Thread

Rex Kickass

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 24, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)
And the article says that it effects both candidates... I'm going to start calling you the "Drive By Media"... LMAO.

Yes, it cuts off Allen's party affiliation...but cuts off Webb's entire last name and party affiliation.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 08:36 AM)
It doesn't matter who wins, the other side will yell "CONSPIRACY!!!!!" no matter how clean the voting might be.

One thing that would really be amusing about the GOP holding on to both houses ( I know its unlikely ) would be to hear the shrill cries of leftist bloggers crying bloody murder and saying we "stole" the election.

One easy way to shut up all those shrill lefties would be to actually spend the money at the federal level to create national standards in voting equipment and actually provide a paper trail. But for some reason that has become a partisan issue...to the point that it can't get through the Republican Congress.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SurveyUSA. 10/21-23. Likely voters. MoE 4.3% (9/16-18 results)

Perry ® 36 (35)

Bell (D) 26 (23)

Strayhorn (I) 19 (15)

Friedman (I) 16 (23)

A Rasmussen poll to be released later has it Perry 36 (33), Bell 25 (18), Strayhorn 22 (22), and Kinky Friedman 12 (16).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 12:29 PM)
SurveyUSA. 10/21-23. Likely voters. MoE 4.3% (9/16-18 results)

Perry ® 36 (35)

Bell (D) 26 (23)

Strayhorn (I) 19 (15)

Friedman (I) 16 (23)

A Rasmussen poll to be released later has it Perry 36 (33), Bell 25 (18), Strayhorn 22 (22), and Kinky Friedman 12 (16).

Kinky is getting Krushed.

Anti-Harold Ford Ad Irks Canadians... not me particularly.

The Canadian government has lodged a complaint with the Bush administration over a Republican election ad that belittles Canada as a global freeloader.

Canada's ambassador to Washington registered his displeasure over a Senate election ad from Tennessee that implied Canada doesn't pull its weight in international matters.

Michael Wilson expressed Canada's concerns in a phone call Wednesday to a White House official, said a Canadian government source.

The Republican National Committee said Wednesday that it would phase out the ad — but it's unclear whether the move came before or after Wilson's phone call.

Although the Conservative government enjoys a warm relationship with the Bush administration, a Canadian official wasn't shy about condemning the ad.

“We would like to remind the Republicans that Canada is playing an important role in rebuilding Afghanistan,” the official said “(Wilson) reiterated that only with positive exchange can we rebuild a strong relationship.

“Insulting one another does nothing to improve it.”

But the Tory complaint may have more to do with politics up north than it does with rescuing Canada's reputation in Tennessee.

The Bush administration is very unpopular in Canada, especially in urban areas where the Tories need to curry support if they hope to win a majority government.

One man in the ad says: “Canada can take care of North Korea. They're not busy."

full story

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/sto...y/National/home

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 25, 2006 -> 08:19 AM)
Races are tightening.

MO Sen

Talent (r,i) 48

McCaskill (d) 45

don't worry rex, McCaskill and ACORN are ready to make a "push" at the polls. aka, blatent voter fraud.

hmmm, wonder why the democrats are so against showing an id before voting....

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 06:42 PM)
don't worry rex, McCaskill and ACORN are ready to make a "push" at the polls. aka, blatent voter fraud.

hmmm, wonder why the democrats are so against showing an id before voting....

Do you have any evidence whatsoever to support your paranoia?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 28, 2006 -> 03:15 PM)

:lol:

One thing that has been said somewhere on soxtalk in the last few days, and I'm in total agreement, is to get the damn election system UNIFORM. There's too many ways to vote (optical, push button, whatever), and it should be the same across the country, so everyone votes the same way. How hard is that? Too hard, I guess.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 28, 2006 -> 11:16 AM)
:lol:

One thing that has been said somewhere on soxtalk in the last few days, and I'm in total agreement, is to get the damn election system UNIFORM. There's too many ways to vote (optical, push button, whatever), and it should be the same across the country, so everyone votes the same way. How hard is that? Too hard, I guess.

I completely agree.

I voted on early Friday, because I'll be out of town on 11/7. It was at 69 W. Washington (Cook County Office Building). And I have to say, I was impressed with the machines. Electronic, touch screens, big clear font, easy to understand. You could go back to previous screens if you wanted to. It showed you a confirm screen at the end. And, it put out a paper receipt which you could scroll up and down after it printed, to double check. The receipt then rolled back into a storage box for audit trail purposes.

Such a system, with the backup trail like that, is most excellent.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 28, 2006 -> 10:15 AM)

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stor...5B?OpenDocument

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/n...al/15832172.htm

ACORN has been doing this for a while. it's not really a "paranoid" theory.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Oct 28, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)

Thank you for the information. Its a good thing some of these garbage registrations are being caught. I wonder how often this happens each election cycle, from ACORN and other groups. And further, I wonder what could be done to prevent such fraud?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 08:41 PM)
Thank you for the information. Its a good thing some of these garbage registrations are being caught. I wonder how often this happens each election cycle, from ACORN and other groups. And further, I wonder what could be done to prevent such fraud?

Show Identification. Who wants to bet that the Dems will b**** about long lines at the polling stations in Missouri on Tuesday? Then some a friendly judge will let the polls stay open until 9:00 or 10:00 P.M. so that all dead people and their pets can vote too.

QUOTE(Cknolls @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 08:33 AM)
Show Identification. Who wants to bet that the Dems will b**** about long lines at the polling stations in Missouri on Tuesday? Then some a friendly judge will let the polls stay open until 9:00 or 10:00 P.M. so that all dead people and their pets can vote too.

Or you just have someone evaluate the voter registration cards? "We caught 1400 fraudulent voter registration cards. Clearly our system for catching fraudulent registration doesn't work."

QUOTE(Cknolls @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 10:33 AM)

I'm sure there will be b****ing and moaning on both sides come election day. And there will be a few dead people voting, for each party. And some polls will be held open later (and in that case, I see no good reason why not to do that if certain precincts say they have too many people).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
Or you just have someone evaluate the voter registration cards? "We caught 1400 fraudulent voter registration cards. Clearly our system for catching fraudulent registration doesn't work."

no. the ones they catch are small number of the total cases of voter fraud. In KC they have already caught around 20,000 bs registration cards. This is a big problem.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 29, 2006 -> 09:41 PM)

Photo ID required to vote and to register. Computerized checks of registered voters to make sure the same person only votes once and that "dead people and pets" aren't voting.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
Photo ID required to vote and to register. Computerized checks of registered voters to make sure the same person only votes once and that "dead people and pets" aren't voting.

I totally agree, as long as (again) some form of photo ID can be obtained free of charge.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)
no. the ones they catch are small number of the total cases of voter fraud. In KC they have already caught around 20,000 bs registration cards. This is a big problem.

And yet somehow, absentee voters showing up at polling places and voting twice or absentee voters being coerced are much more likely to happen than someone voting who is not actually eligible.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
And yet somehow, absentee voters showing up at polling places and voting twice or absentee voters being coerced are much more likely to happen than someone voting who is not actually eligible.

how do you know this? you know exactly how many faudulent absentee votes are cast as compared to other types of voter fraud? you are guessing.

but anyways, i'm also fine with making sure absentee votes are legit. just because there is an abuse in voting in a certain area does not mean that other areas should be ignored (obviously).

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
I totally agree, as long as (again) some form of photo ID can be obtained free of charge.

of course.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)
how do you know this? you know exactly how many faudulent absentee votes are cast as compared to other types of voter fraud? you are guessing.

but anyways, i'm also fine with making sure absentee votes are legit. just because there is an abuse in voting in a certain area does not mean that other areas should be ignored (obviously).

of course.

Actually I posted on this last week. As part of the Help America Vote Act, the government undertook an outside study into what types of voting irregularities and voter fraud actually is discovered. The preliminary results are out, and the study is going to conclude that while examples like what people use to justify those ID laws, that there are huge blocks of people who vote who shouldn't be voting, is actually simply untrue. Current levels of enforcment of the laws have been more than effective in preventing those types of voting abuse, and in fact, they've been on the decline in the past several years. However, Absentee ballots are a much bigger problem, with much more widespread reports of vote-buying, voter intimidation, and double-voting due to them. Link. Quite literally, if you're interested in preventing voting fraud, you forget this voter-ID idea which there simply isn't evidence of a problem it is needed to solve, and you start pushing to reform or eliminate absentee voting.

Edited by Balta1701