2006 Congressional Elections Thread

Rex Kickass

Rex, you think that a Democratic Congress WANTS to work with the President? No personal offense, here... but what the f*** planet are you on? Look at the constant negativity and personal crap that's spewed every day from the Democrats... and they want to work with this president? Come on.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 07:54 AM)
Rex, you think that a Democratic Congress WANTS to work with the President? No personal offense, here... but what the f*** planet are you on? Look at the constant negativity and personal crap that's spewed every day from the Democrats... and they want to work with this president? Come on.

And it doesn't flow both ways?

Kyl's lead down to 3.8 according to a U of A poll. Peterson also had rallies with Clinton in both Mesa, Tucson last night as well. The RNC has kind of pushed there money elsewhere in other tough races but they might have to come back with and bail out Kyl whose campaign has been terribly ran.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)

You know what? Maybe I'm naive, but I'm pretty sure that a Democratic party does want good things to happen in this country. And I think that they would allow the opposition a bigger hand in making things work in this country than the GOP would have.

The GOP led Congress doesn't even give Democrats a real voice here. Maybe the Democrats won't either, but you know what? I'm sick of thinking that unacceptable is good enough because the other people might be unacceptable too.

Nobody gets an automatic vote from me. They have to earn it. And there's very little that the GOP leadership has ever done in the last two years to earn my vote.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 08:50 AM)
The GOP led Congress doesn't even give Democrats a real voice here. Maybe the Democrats won't either, but you know what? I'm sick of thinking that unacceptable is good enough because the other people might be unacceptable too.

Nobody gets an automatic vote from me. They have to earn it. And there's very little that the GOP leadership has ever done in the last two years to earn my vote.

If nothing else, hopefully the Dems will get rid of some of the outrageous maneuvers the GOP has pulled the past few years. Keeping bills open forever in order to coerce their own party into voting their way (the Medicare insurance company bailout bill being the prime example), holding votes in the middle of the night, absolutely destroying bills in conference committee and making sure that the Dems have no say in conference whatsoever, preventing any and all investigations, etc.

Somehow I doubt it though, each successive majority seems to set new standards for low-level behavior when they control how the House is run...the Repub majority formed in part because the Repubs complained about the Dems tactics in the early 90's, like keeping votes open for too long, then they did the same thing and took it about 5 steps farther. I bet there will be enough people who decide to "Give the GOP a taste of their own parliamentary practices" that it'll look just as bad in the House.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 10:54 AM)
If nothing else, hopefully the Dems will get rid of some of the outrageous maneuvers the GOP has pulled the past few years. Keeping bills open forever in order to coerce their own party into voting their way (the Medicare insurance company bailout bill being the prime example), holding votes in the middle of the night, absolutely destroying bills in conference committee and making sure that the Dems have no say in conference whatsoever, preventing any and all investigations, etc.

Somehow I doubt it though, each successive majority seems to set new standards for low-level behavior when they control how the House is run...the Repub majority formed in part because the Repubs complained about the Dems tactics in the early 90's, like keeping votes open for too long, then they did the same thing and took it about 5 steps farther. I bet there will be enough people who decide to "Give the GOP a taste of their own parliamentary practices" that it'll look just as bad in the House.

And I am quite positive when it happens, we will hear "well the republicians did it first..."

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 07:54 AM)

All they do is railroad and say this nad that and yet for the past 6 years they have not once ever came up with any legit ideas. They just seem to say things will magically be better if you elect the democrats.

I want to know how things would magically be better (personally speaking things are going peachy on my end) and I feel a whole hell of a lot safer with the GOP in charge as opposed to the democratic party (especially considering who some of the big power guys are on the democratic side). Plus I completely side with the GOP on how to handle businesses.

Now if only we could keep the GOP in power and hammer out this tort reform bulls***. Nothing would be greater to the US economy than finding a way to rid the economy with all these ridiculous frivilous lawsuits that cost billions of dollars.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 08:04 AM)
And it doesn't flow both ways?

I never said that a republican house/senate would work well with a democratic president? My goal of having a repub house/senate would be exactly what the democrats goal would be to try and prevent the president from doing what they sought as being "bad" for the country.

THe only difference is GOP has there view of whats good/bad and Democrats have there view.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
You know what? Maybe I'm naive, but I'm pretty sure that a Democratic party does want good things to happen in this country. And I think that they would allow the opposition a bigger hand in making things work in this country than the GOP would have.

I think you're naive! :lol:

Seriously, I hear you... that's why this is even coming up in the first place is listen to the "disgruntled" GOP people that are "staying home" this election. The GOP has crapped themselves pretty good and I agree with that assessment, but I think the alternative - an even stronger divide then is there already, is NOT going to lead to some miraculous "they will work together" fairy tale like you wish would happen.

i think the republican party is going to be in for a nice surprise from what the democrats come in with. remember they are winning seats in typical republican held territory. they will want to keep those seats and will be more moderate than you expect.

the dems aren't dummies. they know that they are gaining these seats not because of their own agendas but of a failure of the republicans agendas. thus they are going to have to make something happen, quickly to maintain these strongholds. they will be playing defense here in 2 years for these seats with a corresponding presidential election as well.

I guess this Rothenberg guy carries a lot of weight. He's now saying they think the Democrats will take the Senate.

The Senate:

"While Senate control is in doubt, with Democrats most likely to win from 5 to 7 seats, we do not think the two sides have an equal chance of winning a majority in the Senate. Instead, we believe that state and national dynamics favor Democrats netting six seats and winning control of the United States Senate."

The House:

"Going into the final days before the 2006 midterm elections, we believe the most likely outcome in the House of Representatives is a Democratic gain of 34 to 40 seats, with slightly larger gains not impossible. This would put Democrats at between 237 and 243 seats, if not a handful more, giving them a majority in the next House that is slightly larger than the one the Republicans currently hold. If these numbers are generally correct, we would expect a period of GOP finger-pointing and self-flagellation after the elections, followed by a considerable number of Republican House retirements over the next two years."

http://rothenbergpoliticalreport.blogspot.com/

We'll see.

Iowa Gov

Culver (D) 52

Nussle ® 43

Iowa Sec of Ag.

Northey ® 43

O'Brien (D) 42

Iowa Sec of State

Maruo (D) 43

Hanusa ® 33

Iowa - 1

Braley (D) 56

Whalen ® 35

All were Iowa Polls done by the DM Register, who did just endorse Culver and Braley.

Dear Friend,

There's one thing everyone who wants Democrats to win tomorrow needs to remember: be prepared for anything. We offer a fresh start and a new direction, but each and every Democrat must get to the polls to make our vision a reality.

Reports of voter suppression and potentially illegal tactics have already begun surfacing in districts where Republicans seem to be heading for defeat. That's why it's so important that you vote. From repeatedly harassing phone calls to disgusting flyers sent to Hispanic voters, they're trying everything they can to keep Democrats from voting.

No matter what the other side does to try to keep Democrats at home, we have to continue our person-to-person outreach for this final stretch. Our democracy can withstand these tactics if every one of us lives up to our responsibility to engage our neighbors in this movement to take America in a new direction.

We've put together the resources you need to spread the Democratic message and reach as many people as possible. Here are just a few of those resources:

Find Your Polling Place

In addition to allowing people to report election irregularities, the 1-888-DEM-VOTE number also provides your polling place. You can call, or find your state's polling information here: http://www.democrats.org/pollingplace

Last-Minute Volunteers

The best way to volunteer at the last minute is to call your local Democratic Party: http://www.democrats.org/volunteer/call

Print Your Own Flyers

The Democratic Agenda: http://www.democrats.org/agenda/vision

Voter Protection Info: http://www.democrats.org/voterprotection/materials

One look at those flyers will remind you what we're fighting for in this election.

What do the Republicans offer us? Spiraling costs in both human and monetary terms with no accountability and no plan in sight for Iraq, more people working full-time just to live in poverty because the minimum wage hasn't changed in a decade, and more people suffering in silence because, just like 45 million others, they don't have health insurance.

The vast majority of Americans have had enough. That's why the Republicans have resorted to doing anything they can to distract or deceive voters.

But we Democrats have our own plans, which couldn't be clearer:

Honest Leadership & Open Government

We will end the Republican culture of corruption and restore a government as good as the people it serves.

Real Security & A New Direction in Iraq

We will protect Americans at home and lead the world by telling the truth to our troops, our citizens and our allies, and we will heed the advice of our commanders on the ground and force a change in the failed Republican strategy in Iraq.

Energy Independence & Lower Gas Prices

We will create a cleaner, greener and stronger America by reducing our dependence on foreign oil, eliminating billions in subsidies for oil and gas companies and developing energy alternatives.

More Jobs, Better Pay & College Access for Everyone

We will create jobs that stay in America, raise the minimum wage, and open the doors to college for every American.

Healthcare that Works for Everyone & Life-Saving Cures

We will join 36 other industrialized nations in making sure everyone has access to affordable health care, and we will make decisions to invest in stem cell and other medical research based on science, not politics.

Retirement Security

We will ensure that a retirement with dignity is the right and expectation of every single American, starting with protecting workers' pensions expanding saving incentives and preventing the privatization of social security.

I can't stress enough how important these final hours are -- and because of the Republican voter suppression tactics, every one of us will need to do even more.

If you or someone you know has any trouble voting or is harassed in any way, please take down as many details as possible and report it. You can report any voter suppression or election irregularities by calling 1-888-DEM-VOTE. You can also report problems online here:

http://www.democrats.org/voterprotection/report

You'll hear a lot of predictions over the next day or so, but ignore both the good ones and the bad ones. We're got to work, work and work some more until this election is over. There is no other option -- we've all done too much for too long to let this slip away.

The only poll that matters will be on Election Day and it will signal a new direction for America.

Thank you.

Governor Howard Dean, M.D.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
Isn't it amazing how the races are "tightening"? These pollsters are trying to safe face.

Republicans are the dominant party in America and the voters do tend to come home to their more comfortable choice. Same thing happens in Canada with the dominant Liberal Party.

A lot of the perceived tightening is simply what everybody knows is going to happen with a disillusioned party base come election day. Lots of them can spend the months running up to the election complaining that the party has lost its way and threatening to take their vote away. But when election day comes, many of these voters can't bring themselves to vote for the alternativve and they, as the cliche' goes, "hold their noses and pull the handle" for the party candidates despite their better judgement.

None of that is to say the narrowing gap isn't a bit unsettling, because it is. It's just expected that the bluster from disillusioned on-the-fence voters is going to diminish by election day.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 09:04 PM)
A lot of the perceived tightening is simply what everybody knows is going to happen with a disillusioned party base come election day. Lots of them can spend the months running up to the election complaining that the party has lost its way and threatening to take their vote away. But when election day comes, many of these voters can't bring themselves to vote for the alternativve and they, as the cliche' goes, "hold their noses and pull the handle" for the party candidates despite their better judgement.

None of that is to say the narrowing gap isn't a bit unsettling, because it is. It's just expected that the bluster from disillusioned on-the-fence voters is going to diminish by election day.

That's a good description, Flaxx. And you're right.

It's funny about the narrowing polls. Because some of the blogs I read are full of Chicken Little's saying "the sky is falling" because a 12 point lead suddenly dropped to a much closer 6 or 7 points.

What will probably happen? A Democratic House and a 50/50 chance at a Democratic Senate. (I still think a 50-48-2 with Cheney getting the tiebreaker vote is most likely).

So what's considered a Democratic party success in my view? Getting one house in their column.

A year ago, the Democratic party was looking at a best case scenario of 10 pickups in the house and maybe two in the Senate. As of last week, close to 80 House seats are in some form of contention. Leaning one way or the other, toss up - or close enough that the Republicans had to throw money they weren't expecting on it. The potential is there for three to eight pickups, with possible Dem additions in PA, OH, RI, MT, MO, VA, TN and AZ. A year ago, PA and OH were on the radar, the rest - not so much.

What a difference a year can make.

Dear James,

We've been working hard to get to this moment. And, here we are -- we can see the finish line.

But, if we want to produce the Democratic victories our nation so urgently needs, you have one critical task left, and that is to get to the polls and vote.

It has been decades since there have been so many close, down-to-the-wire races for the Senate, for the House, and for critical state and local offices. Many of those races are close today because of what you and other members of the johnkerry.com community have done up to this point.

And now, many of those races will be finally decided by what you do in the time between now and the closing of the polls. Please call and email your friends, family and colleagues and ask them to vote on Tuesday. Don't let a single person you know let Tuesday pass without voting.

And there's still time to contact Democratic campaigns in your area to volunteer your time and be part of grassroots efforts to get out the vote.

This is our chance to take the power to lead America out of the Bush Republicans' hands. Winning means raising the minimum wage. Winning means moving towards health care for all, starting with every child in America. Winning means forcing an end to the disastrous war in Iraq, and getting our heroes home.

Winning means firing the incompetents, stopping the corruption, and making America stop being the world's leading denier of global climate change.

Let's get out and do it. You've been amazing all along. You've stood up. Stand up again. Your country is counting on you.

It's on to victory from here.

John Kerry

November 6, 2006

The Top 5 Signs Your Political Campaign Is in Big Trouble

5> A "60 Minutes" film crew is at your door with your wife, two

mistresses, a call girl from Vegas, Jeff Gannon and Enrique,

the pool boy.

4> FedEx just handed you an envelope from Karl Rove marked,

"Do not bend. Contains photographic material."

3> A video surfaces proving that not only did you inhale, you

did so from a penis-shaped bong at a Log Cabin Republicans

meeting.

2> In your nervous state, you mistook your son's Ritalin for

your Tourette's Syndrome meds.

and Topfive.com's Number 1 Sign Your

Political Campaign Is in Big Trouble...

1> You're an honest politician, a decorated war veteran, you've

done a great job in government and you always do what's best

for your country -- and worst of all, you have no money.

Join ClubTop5 to see the whole 17-item list and the

Runner Up/Honorable Mention submissions for today's list:

"Kerry'd Away" and "Absentee Humor"

http://www.topfive.com/html/ClubTop5.shtml