Freddy throwing harder?

Gregory Pratt

Hey guys,

I read in the paper this morning that for the last three innings of Sunday's game, Freddy was blowing in ninety four MPH fastballs. I believe it was either in RedEye or the Tribune, as I read both of them this morning.

If true, d'you think it's a sign that he'll be throwing hard again?

Some people contend that he's throwing soft as a personal choice. I never really bought that. Maybe he has, or maybe he's off of Dead-Arm. Any thoughts?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 03:38 PM)
And yet, the 3 runs he gave up in the first still turned into 6.

I agree, what does it matter if he was throwing harder at the end of the game. No one has really offered a decent explanation as to why his fastball has dropped about 8 MPH. I think the fact that all of a sudden him throwing 94 proves that his arm still has life. I say we get rid of Sweaty Freddy while we still can get some value for him. I also don't like the attitude of carelessness that he has either.

Do you really think he's careless, though, or is that just how he comes off with his demeanor?

Either way, yes: I saw him hit 90 a few times this weekend. It was too little, too late, but he did hit it.

Can somebody explain to me how a guy still as young as he is goes from power pitcher (more or less) to trying to be a Maddux-type finesse pitcher?

I mean, by contrast, Buehrle never had power. I've never seen that guy throw over 88, ever. Jose has it, Garland is right up around 90 and Vasquez seems like he can use power or movement (when he's on).

But Freddy just doesn't seem that old or physically deteriorated to be all of a sudden losing his velocity like that. Jenks got it back after a month or two; why not Freddy?

I am no pitching expert, so go easy on me for the naive question.

hat looked like the Terminator, only slower. Maybe it was his out-of-stater, or it could have been the Hibernator--that baby is definitely going away for the winter. Whatever for Vaughn, it might be see-ya-later. He's probably gonna become a spectator.

-----

If he is purposely throwing slower, then he should of watched Major League II and see how it all worked out for Rick Vaugn. I watched it last night, and his Terminator was hitting the same 86 on the gun we have seen from Freddy most of this year. If you can throw hard, then throw hard. If you cant, then get the MRI.

sports_radar_gun.gif

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)
Freddy pitched fine after the first inning. He says his arm feels great and it was the ball leaving his hand felt best it has all year. That's encouraging.

I hope some other team finds it encouraging enough to give us something of value for him.

You have to wonder about someones mental state, when a trade rumor comes out, and then after he gets rocked a bit, he flashes a fastball above 90 for the first time in forever. If I see 91-94 on the gun from the first inning on for more than 1 start then I will be convinced that Freddy is cured.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 03:48 PM)
Do you really think he's careless, though, or is that just how he comes off with his demeanor?

I really don't know to be honest. I know the knock on Grland before was that he was too laid back. I watched Freddy warm up before the game about a month ago, and he just looked like he was going through the motions. Then, he proceeded to get knocked around like a rag doll by Cleveland. I think maybe some players win a World Series and a some of that need to be a world champion goes away. It could just be his demeanor though. Hard to tell with him because he doesn't get interviewd very often.

Edited by soxpride77

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
I hope some other team finds it encouraging enough to give us something of value for him.

Before we all write him off as Rodrigo Lopez or something, it may be interesting to note that Freddy had a 5.05 ERA last July. It isn't the awful 7.50 ERA he is sporting this July, but then again, he has 2 more starts to make this month.

I am not happy with the guy either.

But some of this is just piling on.

If he was truly throwing 94 again on Sunday, that is a great sign.

Remember how quickly things can change, folks.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
Before we all write him off as Rodrigo Lopez or something, it may be interesting to note that Freddy had a 5.05 ERA last July. It isn't the awful 7.50 ERA he is sporting this July, but then again, he has 2 more starts to make this month.

But his overall ERA is 5.05 (or something close to that) for the entire year. It's not just a bad month, it's a bad year.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)

He has been throwing slow all year long. Every so often he has one start where his fastball is above 90. Before we declare him cured, lets see if he can start a game where he comes out of the gate throwing a good fastball, then in the next start does the same thing. Funny you should mention Rodrigo Lopez, who also had a mysterious velocity drop that has lead to his undoing.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 01:51 PM)
Freddy pitched fine after the first inning. He says his arm feels great and it was the ball leaving his hand felt best it has all year. That's encouraging.

Feeling fine and pitching fine = 3 more runs in 5 innings? Blech.