Freddy throwing harder?

Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
But his overall ERA is 5.05 (or something close to that) for the entire year. It's not just a bad month, it's a bad year.

I understand that.

What I am pointing out is that Freddy has looked bad for reasonably long periods of time before and bounced back.

In May, which no one seems to remember anymore, Freddy walked ONE hitter in 41.1 innings and had an ERA of 3.70 with a WHIP of 1.11. Now if I recall correctly, that was when he was throwing his assortment of slop just as he has been in July.

Take a look at this:

2005 Batting Average Against

April .210

May .284

June .190

July .335

August .260

September .248

2006 Batting Average Against

April .259

May .280

June .279

July .342

Notice anything familiar??

His k rate is down, his walk rate is about the same.

If he gets the velocity back, it could mean getting back to where he was last year.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 01:14 PM)
Hey guys,

I read in the paper this morning that for the last three innings of Sunday's game, Freddy was blowing in ninety four MPH fastballs. I believe it was either in RedEye or the Tribune, as I read both of them this morning.

If true, d'you think it's a sign that he'll be throwing hard again?

Some people contend that he's throwing soft as a personal choice. I never really bought that. Maybe he has, or maybe he's off of Dead-Arm. Any thoughts?

His velocity was up. I commented in the game thread that he looked like he was throwing about as good as I had seen him all season. He wasn't getting hit and his stuff was into the 90's. I can't comment on how accurate the radar gun was though.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 04:35 PM)
His velocity was up. I commented in the game thread that he looked like he was throwing about as good as I had seen him all season. He wasn't getting hit and his stuff was into the 90's. I can't comment on how accurate the radar gun was though.

Yeah, the article noted how well he did after he began throwing hard again.

I hope it's a sign of things to come.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 05:01 PM)
I somehow doubt that Freddy has a bizarre, infectious skin disease which has CNS side effects.

But if you remember when we aqquired him, everyone was saying he will regain his velocity. He would have a game here and there were he would hit 96 maybe 97. But for the most part would be at 94 and below. He was saying stuff in the news about how if he had more work in games, he would be stronger and throw harder. He had a medical condition. Maybe Freddy has a medical condition also.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 05:12 PM)
But if you remember when we aqquired him, everyone was saying he will regain his velocity. He would have a game here and there were he would hit 96 maybe 97. But for the most part would be at 94 and below. He was saying stuff in the news about how if he had more work in games, he would be stronger and throw harder. He had a medical condition. Maybe Freddy has a medical condition also.

He may indeed have a medical condition.

That might explain the medicinal use of mary jane. :ph34r:

QUOTE(Slugger Yolando @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 05:15 PM)
how do i set a darn avatar on this board? i'd like to put up a picture

Slugger-

See a few posts up, someone gave you the link to follow. Click on it. It leads to a forum on the board specifically for asking such questions.

:unsure:

QUOTE(Slugger Yolando @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 03:15 PM)
how do i set a darn avatar on this board? i'd like to put up a picture

Welcome aboard.

Hit the My Controls link and than in the Personal Profile portion click on the edit avatar settings. In there you'll be able to set your avatar.

Hope that helps. You can also do the same for your signature as well.

I remember Freddy's first start in a Sox uni. He struck out about 10 Twins batters. Later in his 1st home start he struck out the first 4 Angel hitters. He had that great hard fastball and a unhittable changeup. Things have changed drastically. He was good last season but that is not the case for this year. If we can get something of value in return for him, than I'm all for it . . . and you're hearing that from probably the biggest Garcia fan in this board.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 08:14 PM)
Hey guys,

I read in the paper this morning that for the last three innings of Sunday's game, Freddy was blowing in ninety four MPH fastballs. I believe it was either in RedEye or the Tribune, as I read both of them this morning.

If true, d'you think it's a sign that he'll be throwing hard again?

Some people contend that he's throwing soft as a personal choice. I never really bought that. Maybe he has, or maybe he's off of Dead-Arm. Any thoughts?

The gun showed him a couple times at 94 MPH, but in the 1st inning he gave up two homers on inside fastballs at 85-88 MPH and they were up. The hitters blasted them. Hawk was moaning about how you can't challenge a big league slugger inside with a fastball that ain't fast. Freddie doesn't think sometimes.

I didn't see that Freddy's velocity was up in the Yankees game. I expected him to be at his best in his first start after the all-star break. This was the longest rest he's had all yr and should have been pitching w/ some extra "giddyyap". It's a good sign, whether he stays or is traded. It means he's probably healthy

I was at the Whitesox/Yanks game on Sunday and in that first inning Freddy was zipping them in there at 88 mph. Having just taken batting practice, Jeter and ARod welcomed some extra BP and promptly drilled the balls over the fence.

Freddy looked like he had no answers out there but what hurt the Sox in that game was no clutch hitting or rally killing flyballs/pop-ups.