Crown Princess lists

Rex Kickass

So apparently the only cruise ship I've ever been on listed severely. Several people were injured. Not enough to tip the ship over but enough to empty out the pools and flood the gym area.

The Crown Princess debuted last month, and they thing it was a technical error regarding the steering of the ship. It was traveling in rough seas.

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 04:48 PM)
So apparently the only cruise ship I've ever been on listed severely. Several people were injured. Not enough to tip the ship over but enough to empty out the pools and flood the gym area.

The Crown Princess debuted last month, and they thing it was a technical error regarding the steering of the ship. It was traveling in rough seas.

I thought I heard they may have been in a rogue wave system that was so large they couldn't identify it as one..?

QUOTE(Rex Kickass @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
They were in rough seas, but it was definitely a problem with the ship's rudder. The Cruise Line has admitted as such.

How safe are cruise ships? More safe than a plane?

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 01:02 PM)
How safe are cruise ships? More safe than a plane?

I wouldn't say safer than a plane. People die on ships all the time. Some people get drunk and fall off their balcony... all sorts of things. But accidents are generally rare.

There have been 11 accident-related deaths on cruise ships this year.

In April, someone left a lit cigarette on a balcony on the Star Princess. The balconies caught on fire and were destroyed. One passenger died of a heart attack during the fire. Doctors say it might have been brought on by stress from the situation.

Also in April, ten seniors who were on a tour (previous clients of my agency no less but didn't book this trip with us) died when the bus they were taking on a shore excursion in South America rolled off a cliff. It should be noted that the shore excursion program they took was not licensed by the cruise line itself and Celebrity had nothing to do with the actual accident, except that they were sailing on the ship.