Trade with the Reds?

harfman77

With the Reds making some moves in their bullpen trying to firm up a payoff run, the one big weekness that they have now is in the starting rotation.

I think we could deal Garcia to the Reds for Todd Coffey and Homer Bailey

Coffey was great as a setup man, and real bad as a closer. He could slide into Cliffs slot easily. Homer Bailey has a rocket attached to his shoulder but is still at least a year away from being ready to start.

Garcia would be better than most of what the Reds have now, and would help them overtake the Cardinals in the weak NL central.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)
With the Reds making some moves in their bullpen trying to firm up a payoff run, the one big weekness that they have now is in the starting rotation.

Coffey was great as a setup man, and real bad as a closer. He could slide into Cliffs slot easily. Homer Bailey has a rocket attached to his shoulder but is still at least a year away from being ready to start.

Garcia would be better than most of what the Reds have now, and would help them overtake the Cardinals in the weak NL central.

No chance that Cinci does that trade.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 05:06 PM)
No chance that Cinci does that trade.

You are correct.

However, if we were to throw in like Dustin Hermanson or Cliff Politte or some other mediocre reliever, the Sox could so get Dunn back. I mean, if Jim Bowden can do it, so can KW.

There is no way in hell Cincy would trade Homer Bailey, he is going to be a stud. And Todd Coffey blows, after that amazing start he's really come back to earth. Plus, the Reds could use another starter, but won't go for somebody as expensive as Freddy (although their rotation has 2 very good pitchers in Arroyo and Harang, a solid young guy in Ramirez, and a serviceable although overpaid lefty in Milton. That's more than good enough in the NL).

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 05:05 PM)

Why don't we just give Garcia for Verlander and Zumaya?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 05:11 PM)
You are correct.

However, if we were to throw in like Dustin Hermanson or Cliff Politte or some other mediocre reliever, the Sox could so get Dunn back. I mean, if Jim Bowden can do it, so can KW.

Not true at all. Kearns and Lopez were guys they wanted to deal anyways. Kearns has an attitude problem, and they love Chris Denorfia and eventually, Jay Bruce in their OF along with Dunn (who they can now afford to sign long term) and Griff...and as for Lopez, they have Freel, Encarnacion, and Phillips who are 2 very good young players and a supersub 3rd guy/leadoff man in Freel. The Reds may have lost that trade, but they got much needed pen help and traded 2 guys that were going to be dealt anyways.

Well it has happened before:

Matt Karchner for Jon Garland

Victor Zambrano for Scott Kazmir

Bartolo Colon for Brandon Phillips Cliff Lee and Grady Sizemore

Teams sometimes have to pay high prices for pitching sometimes when they are trying to make a run for the playoffs, and it looks like the Reds are in win now mode and KW might be able to take advantage of that.

We could add in Jason Stumm or Corwin Malone as well

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 05:58 PM)
Well it has happened before:

Matt Karchner for Jon Garland

Victor Zambrano for Scott Kazmir

Bartolo Colon for Brandon Phillips Cliff Lee and Grady Sizemore

Teams sometimes have to pay high prices for pitching sometimes when they are trying to make a run for the playoffs, and it looks like the Reds are in win now mode and KW might be able to take advantage of that.

We could add in Jason Stumm or Corwin Malone as well

Bailey is still a high prospect in Cincy. Coffey is still seen as a guy who could develop very nicely for them. They both won't be traded in a deal for Freddy Garcia. Maybe one if you're lucky, definately not both.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)
For whatever reason, this year we are seeing more made up trades by our soxtalkers due to a lack of real rumors.

due to more new soxtalkers because of a world championship who don't realize how annoying anything but rumors backed by an article or two are.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 05:14 PM)
Not true at all. Kearns and Lopez were guys they wanted to deal anyways. Kearns has an attitude problem, and they love Chris Denorfia and eventually, Jay Bruce in their OF along with Dunn (who they can now afford to sign long term) and Griff...and as for Lopez, they have Freel, Encarnacion, and Phillips who are 2 very good young players and a supersub 3rd guy/leadoff man in Freel. The Reds may have lost that trade, but they got much needed pen help and traded 2 guys that were going to be dealt anyways.

It was, more or less, a joke. You're not going to get Dunn by throwing in Hermanson or Politte.

I kind of see how Krivsky is planning things out...he could have done better in his deal, but he is slowly shaping that team to fit his wants.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
Bailey is still a high prospect in Cincy. Coffey is still seen as a guy who could develop very nicely for them. They both won't be traded in a deal for Freddy Garcia. Maybe one if you're lucky, definately not both.

Isn't Coffey the closer? There is no way the Reds are about to deal there closer plus there only legit front line pitching prospect for a guy like Garcia.

It wouldn't be a bad move for the Sox but they wouldn't be getting much to help them this year, unless they were planning on spinning Coffey and/or Bailye to another team to fill a need.

I can't see us matching up with the Reds.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 09:26 PM)
Isn't Coffey the closer? There is no way the Reds are about to deal there closer plus there only legit front line pitching prospect for a guy like Garcia.

It wouldn't be a bad move for the Sox but they wouldn't be getting much to help them this year, unless they were planning on spinning Coffey and/or Bailye to another team to fill a need.

I can't see us matching up with the Reds.

Guardado has been closing since he got traded there.

Definitely agree with this. Both teams are looking for pitching help and I just don't see anything even plausible to work out with the Reds.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 07:28 PM)
Guardado has been closing since he got traded there.

Definitely agree with this. Both teams are looking for pitching help and I just don't see anything even plausible to work out with the Reds.

I was thinking Coffey wasn't closing anymore but had a brain fart and couldn't think of who would replace him.

Bailey in 4 starts for AA has an 0.50 ERA. He could be up by the end of the season.

I know lots of people around us want us to trade Freddy or Javy for a top notch SP prospect. But ever since the Kazmir trade happened, more GM's have become much more wary of dealing top notch SP prospects, when they all know how important it is to have good young pitching at the major league level.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 08:21 AM)
Bailey in 4 starts for AA has an 0.50 ERA. He could be up by the end of the season.

I know lots of people around us want us to trade Freddy or Javy for a top notch SP prospect. But ever since the Kazmir trade happened, more GM's have become much more wary of dealing top notch SP prospects, when they all know how important it is to have good young pitching at the major league level.

id say so especially since this year they have shown they can have an immediate impact(Verlander, Liriano, Lester, Weaver, Papelbon, Josh Johnson)

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 06:57 PM)
id say so especially since this year they have shown they can have an immediate impact(Verlander, Liriano, Lester, Weaver, Papelbon, Josh Johnson)

You hit the nail right on the head there.

Hence why the likes of Mike Pelfrey are sadly nothing but pipe dreams.