Jon Garland, back to form?

whitesoxfan101

Garland (next to Widger) has been overall, probably the most hated White Sox on the club this year. The big contract, the "fluke year" last year, the horrible start....he got it pretty rough. Jon since taking a loss against Detroit (our only loss to them all year) on June 8th has been very good in all but 1 start. Here are the numbers, not including the brief relief stint vs. Boston: (oh and random fact, Garland has not allowed a single unearned run all season, pretty crazy).

Entering Streak: 4-3, 6.19 ERA.

Now: 9-3, 5.12 ERA (improvement of over a run in only 6 starts)

June 13 at Texas (Win): 5.1 IP, 5 hits, 2 runs (earned), 1 walk, no k's

June 18 at Cincinnati (Win): 8 IP, 4 hits, 1 run (earned), 1 walk, 4 k's (and of course, the homer he hit)

June 24 vs. Houston (ND): 5 IP, 8 hits, 5 runs (earned), 5 walks, 2 k's

June 30 at Cubs (Win): 6 IP, 7 hits, 2 runs (earned), 1 walk, 4 k's

July 5 vs. Baltimore (Win): 7.1 IP, 6 hits, 1 run (earned), 0 walks, 1 k

Tonight at Detroit (Win): 7 IP, 6 hits, 1 run (earned), 1 walk, 5 k's

Overall in stretch: 5-0 in 6 starts, 38.2 IP, 33 hits, 12 runs (earned), 9 walks, 16 k's, 1.02 WHIP, 2.83 ERA

And damn, other than the 1 bad start vs. Houston (and hey, we won that game, and even if not, your allowed to have a bad start once every 6 times), he's been dominant:

5 starts, 5-0, 33.2 IP, 28 hits, 7 runs (earned), 4 walks, 14 k's, 0.96 WHIP, 1.90 ERA

What's all this mean? It means that right now, Jon is our 2nd best starter, so get off his damn back please. :)

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one has b****ed about Garland in quite a while and deservedly so, it still doesn't forgive him for being useless in April, horrid in May and pathetic for half of June.

Though all in all it's great to see Garland finally comming around after being pretty bad for 2.5 out of 3.5 months this season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 09:56 PM)
No one has b****ed about Garland in quite a while and deservedly so, it still doesn't forgive him for being useless in April, horrid in May and pathetic for half of June.

Though all in all it's great to see Garland finally comming around after being pretty bad for 2.5 out of 3.5 months this season.

He was no worse during that stretch than Vasquez, Garcia, and Buehrle have been for an extended period of time now, yet got 10 times more s***.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 07:56 PM)

As a long time supporter of Jon, I'm really glad to see him get rolling but he's going to have to keep it up and put the team on his back. If he can do that hopefully the other starters can see it and this staff can get back to what it was last year. I'm talking about a staff that fed off each starter who would go out trying to out duel the prior starter. They were all flat dealing and they all built up some serious confidence and weren't to be stopped.

Now lets see Javy carry the momentum Garland gave us. :cheers

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 08:58 PM)
He was no worse during that stretch than Vasquez, Garcia, and Buehrle have been for an extended period of time now, yet got 10 times more s***.

Vasquez, Garcia, and Buehrle are s***. Garland is exactly 1/10.1 of that.

Garland (next to Widger) has been overall, probably the most hated White Sox on the club this year

Not by me.

For some reason, some people hate the guy. I think it's his pretty boy California laid back I dont give a

s*** personality, which some fans take as being a Judy.

I think he's great.

He beat a team that's been beating everybody except the Sox. Hope we keep it up.

GO SOX.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 09:58 PM)
As a long time supporter of Jon, I'm really glad to see him get rolling but he's going to have to keep it up and put the team on his back. If he can do that hopefully the other starters can see it and this staff can get back to what it was last year. I'm talking about a staff that fed off each starter who would go out trying to out duel the prior starter. They were all flat dealing and they all built up some serious confidence and weren't to be stopped.

Now lets see Javy carry the momentum Garland gave us. :cheers

I think Buehrle will be fine eventually, but I worry that Javy and Garcia are in a state of irreversable suck, which is why I would not cry if we trade either of them. Vasquez is pitching like he has for a few YEARS now (which is why i'd prefer to trade him instead of Garcia), and Freddy still can barely throw 90.

What's big for Garland is he hasn't given up a dong in 9 straight starts. That is actually quite amazing after he was leading the league with 19 given up at one point (he's tied for 7th most with Schilling now). For a while, it looked he was going to double his output from last year.

Still, I'm not going to get overly excited until he actually gets his ERA under 5 for the season.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 09:58 PM)

As bad as Buehlre has been of late, his ERA is still no where near 5 like Garland's and I really don't remember him sucking for 2.5 months like Garland did. Also Garcia was not as bad as Garland during that stretch but now that he hasn't picked it up he's catching more s*** than any other player on the team (outside of Widger). Also, Vazquez has been in the 3's and 4's of ERA all year, he's only recently touched 5. I really don't see how any of them have been as bad as Garland was for 2.5 months this year.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 10:02 PM)
What's big for Garland is he hasn't given up a dong in 9 straight starts. That is actually quite amazing after he was leading the league with 19 given up at one point (he's tied for 7th most with Schilling now). For a while, it looked he was going to double his output from last year.

Still, I'm not going to get overly excited until he actually gets his ERA under 5 for the season.

Well that's simple, he's keeping his pitches down and attacking inside. When Jon does that, he's VERY good, it's just that he didn't decide to start doing it this year until mid June for some reason. When Jon is on, he shouldn't give up hardly any homers, since he simply doesn't throw pitchers that are up in the zone and over the plate ever when he is pitching his game.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 09:56 PM)

Holy s*** Kalapse that is the funniest sig Ive seen in my whole time posting here.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
I may be eating some words later on this season, but "I always get dead arm a couple times a year" owes me about 3 more good starts before I start singing his praises.

The game to game evaluation of players and the on the ledge-off the ledge attitude around here is funny. I'm with you, I'll wait til the end of the year to evaluate players. Except for Juanito, he just flat out sux at the plate. :P

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 11:02 PM)

That's a pretty stupid reason not to get excited about him right now. He was horrid to begin with, he's been lights out lately, which one should we put more credence in? I'd have to go with the most recent results.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 10:01 PM)
Not by me.

For some reason, some people hate the guy. I think it's his pretty boy California laid back I dont give a

I think he's great.

He beat a team that's been beating everybody except the Sox. Hope we keep it up.

GO SOX.

:rolly

Yeah, it's all because he's a laidback California surfboy it has absolutely nothing to do with his 7.11 April ERA (1.52 WHIP) or 5.40 May ERA (1.55 WHIP).

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
As bad as Buehlre has been of late, his ERA is still no where near 5 like Garland's and I really don't remember him sucking for 2.5 months like Garland did. Also Garcia was not as bad as Garland during that stretch but now that he hasn't picked it up he's catching more s*** than any other player on the team (outside of Widger). Also, Vazquez has been in the 3's and 4's of ERA all year, he's only recently touched 5. I really don't see how any of them have been as bad as Garland was for 2.5 months this year.

Well Buehrle is up to about 4 and a half now, and Garcia and Vasquez are BARELY ahead of Garland in ERA now for the year. Garland was bad for longer than the other 3 have been, but still has an ERA nearly the same as Vasquez and Garcia, and one that is about 7/10 of a run worse than Buehrle. That to me really says that although Garland was bad longer, these 3 have just been AMAZINGLY AWFUL in this latest stretch.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
The game to game evaluation of players and the on the ledge-off the ledge attitude around here is funny. I'm with you, I'll wait til the end of the year to evaluate players. Except for Juanito, he just flat out sux at the plate. :P

So you just ignore the current state of players such as Garcia and his 86 MPH fastball instead wait until the end of the year and then evaluate them? I'm glad KW doesn't do that.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 10:06 PM)
Well Buehrle is up to about 4 and a half now, and Garcia and Vasquez are BARELY ahead of Garland in ERA now for the year. Garland was bad for longer than the other 3 have been, but still has an ERA nearly the same as Vasquez and Garcia, and one that is about 7/10 of a run worse than Buehrle. That to me really says that although Garland was bad longer, these 3 have just been AMAZINGLY AWFUL in this latest stretch.

Yes, this is all basically true but it's really not what you said in the post I quoted. I do agree with what you said here though.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 08:01 PM)
Not by me.

I think he's great.

GO SOX.

I'll drink to that Greg :drink

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)
Yes, this is all basically true but it's really not what you said in the post I quoted. I do agree with what you said here though.

Yeah maybe I didn't express myself right in the other post, the post you quote here is really what I meant to say.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

The reason Garland received all of the criticism is because he had one really good year, signed a big contract and then goes and starts off the year poorly. Buehrle has been a number 1-2 starter for us year in and year out, Freddy has proven himself to be a real good pitcher in his career and as for Javy he was actually having a real solid season until basically his last 5 starts and he also has had more than one real good season in his career(in the national league though). Jon has a great year after many average years, signs a big contract and just comes out of the gate pitching horrible. When that happens you're going to alienate some fans.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 10:09 PM)
The reason Garland received all of the criticism is because he had one really good year, signed a big contract and then goes and starts off the year poorly. Buehrle has been a number 1-2 starter for us year in and year out, Freddy has proven himself to be a real good pitcher in his career and as for Javy he was actually having a real solid season until basically his last 5 starts and he also has had more than one real good season in his career(in the national league though). Jon has a great year after many average years, signs a big contract and just comes out of the gate pitching horrible. When that happens you're going to alienate some fans.

I could see the hate since he was a suckfest early on, but really if this year had gone according to plan with the staff, Jon is our 5 starter, or maybe our 4 ahead of Vasquez. He's paid a lot, but it costs a lot for pitching right now, even a good 4 guy like Garland. He's overpaid, but all pitching worth a damn (and some not worth a damn) is. I could see why people were hating on Garland, however most (a few exceptions, like yourself) simply refuse to give him credit, even when he is pitching well.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
That's a pretty stupid reason not to get excited about him right now. He was horrid to begin with, he's been lights out lately, which one should we put more credence in? I'd have to go with the most recent results.

I think my point was if you have an ERA over 5 on the season, you've pitched poorly for a much longer period of time than you have pitched well. Even pitchers who have bad seasons tend to have good stretch of games somewhere along the way (i.e. Garcia had a 3+ ERA in May). He has to pitch like this for a longer period for me to feel confident that he's returned to his form from last season.

Edited by Frankensteiner

He was simply unlucky at the beginning of the season. His BABIP was crazy high, now its starting to go down a bit, as a result so are his H/9 and ERA. Good stretch here Jon.

He's not out of the woods yet thouugh. The hits are still going to come, and it'll be tough for him to dominate against lineups such as NY or Boston. His K rates are just to low.