Have the Innings Caught Up With Buehrle?

chitownsportsfan

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 10:50 PM)
He's found that wall several times before. Last year it was in July, in 04, he seemed to hit it thrice, in 03, he hit it in May. When he gets the ball up, he gets hit, and there's at least one period every year in which that happens.

"Hitting a wall" because you're tired IMO isn't something you just get through by pitching more, it's something you get through by pitching less and resting. If he's "hitting a wall" or "The innings are catching up with him", then the logical solution would be for him to pitch less innings, i.e. taking 2 weeks off on the DL. He's gotten through each of those previous rough spots without needing time off or missing starts, and he'll do the same here, I hope.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 12:56 AM)
It's gonna take a lot more than 3 rough starts for me to think Mark is suffering from some kinda innings abuse. Just think 2003. What he start that year? 3-10? Ended up 14-14.

His record that year and his record this season is not a good comparison. Not only are they different but his era is worse right now this season Plus, he had the worse defense I've ever seen behind him that year which caused him to have a ton of unearned runs. It was so bad I'm still remembering it off the top of my head.

Buehrle is the last guy innings would catch up to. He's throwing the same stuff he always has, it's just EVERYTHING he throws these days is up in the strikezone, and until he gets the ball down, he will struggle. However Buehrle IMO will find his control, get the ball down, and get back to being who he is, he's just not a bad pitcher, I refuse to believe he suddenly turned into one.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 01:17 AM)
His record that year and his record this season is not a good comparison. Not only are they different but his era is worse right now this season Plus, he had the worse defense I've ever seen behind him that year which caused him to have a ton of unearned runs. It was so bad I'm still remembering it off the top of my head.

Mark had a 4.24 era the first-half of '03. That includes the month of May in which he went 0-4 with an era over 7. Not much difference at all.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 01:24 AM)
Mark had a 4.24 era the first-half of '03. That includes the month of May in which he went 0-4 with an era over 7. Not much difference at all.

:lol: :rolly

I won't waste my time.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 01:06 AM)
"Hitting a wall" because you're tired IMO isn't something you just get through by pitching more, it's something you get through by pitching less and resting. If he's "hitting a wall" or "The innings are catching up with him", then the logical solution would be for him to pitch less innings, i.e. taking 2 weeks off on the DL. He's gotten through each of those previous rough spots without needing time off or missing starts, and he'll do the same here, I hope.

Pitchers pitch through dead arm spots in their seasons all the time. Teams aren't going to put pitchers on the DL because of dead arm. That'd probably throw the pitcher out of whack even worse.

I think it's probably a little bit of mental and mechanical issues. Easy to say, but he's complained about the QuesTec system before, in it's first year in US Cellular...it would be very easy for something like that to get into your head and cause you to get frustrated.

The mechanical is obvious...he's leaving the ball up and his control isn't there. If he gets that back, he'll be fine...that's pretty obvious.

Also, a dead arm period wouldn't surprise me. Just because the guy throws it 88-91 tops doesn't mean he's not throwing the ball his hardest. You put as much stress on your arm as starting pitchers do, and it's going to get sore and tired and "dead" - I don't care if you can throw it 85 or 100

Dwight Gooden, Vida Blue, Frank Viola, Ramon Martinez, Britt Burns, and even Larmar Hoyt who are they? Pitchers who had good to great 3-5 years to start their careers but then things didn't work out for them to have long productive careers.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)
Ramon Martinez: injuries

Dwight Gooden: Druggy

Can't really speak on what happened to the others since they were a bit before my time. I don't think Mark is any of them. I think Mark is a Glavine like pitcher.

Blue lasted 17 years, going 209-161; Viola 15 years, 176-150 so they don't really belong on the list.

Burns had a congenital hip condition. Hoyt broke my heart, he fast laned his way out of the bigs on burittos, alcohol and cocaine.