Fields and Sweeney not available

DBAHO

QUOTE(soxpride77 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 01:58 PM)
I understand the Bora$$ thing. but why would it ruin his trade value? It's not like he would forget how to play third base if he played some games in the outfield this year to see if he can do it.

It's harder to find thirdbasemen who can hit than it is finding outfielders (specifically corner OFers) who can hit. You move him to LF, you're making a concession that he isn't all that great defensively at third (even if Crede is there), thus, his trade value is going to fall.

Fields is a good enough athlete to make the move over winter. If he plays LF in a winter league, and all throughout Spring Training, I think he'll be okay out there.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 01:36 PM)
It's harder to find thirdbasemen who can hit than it is finding outfielders (specifically corner OFers) who can hit. You move him to LF, you're making a concession that he isn't all that great defensively at third (even if Crede is there), thus, his trade value is going to fall.

Fields is a good enough athlete to make the move over winter. If he plays LF in a winter league, and all throughout Spring Training, I think he'll be okay out there.

I still disagree, there are scouts at all those minor league games writing up scouting reports. Evreyone knows through those if he is a liability or not. I am just saying that if we plan on keeping him and Crede, then why not see how Fields does out in the outfield?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 06:36 PM)

Teams move players/ prospects a lot, esp. when there are other players at certain positions. You look at some all stars like Chipper Jones, Miguel Cabrera and Arod as a few examples. If someone is blocking the players' path, and another spot in the field is open, IMO, that won't hurt the player's value who is moved. Most GM's would understand moving Fields with Crede set at 3rd. Would Fields come in and supplant the .300 hitting gold glove caliber playing Crede? Not a chance right away.

IMO, if Fields can play a corner OF spot , that would enhance his value not diminish it. That would give a team options for 2-3 spots to get fields' bat in the lineup.

QUOTE(soxpride77 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 08:26 PM)
I still disagree, there are scouts at all those minor league games writing up scouting reports. Evreyone knows through those if he is a liability or not. I am just saying that if we plan on keeping him and Crede, then why not see how Fields does out in the outfield?

IF Fields doesn't play the OF in the minors, such as this yr in Charlotte, that would seem to suggest the Sox would move him. Who cares if he makes a few errors in left or right if the sox plan on keeping him? If the sox are that high on him, who cares if his batting avg dips a bit as he adjusts to the OF? If they don't want his value to diminish, they'd keep him at 3b.

Another thing to consider, Fields still needs time playing 3b. So if the sox don't play him elsewhere, they still may keep him.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)
Or let everyone know they are and start a bidding war.

That's not how it works. I should've added prospects in there, but you know what I meant. No cellar dwellars start bidding wars with each other for prospects at the trade deadline. It's the playoff hopefulls that compete for seasoned vets after the hopeless teams have dangled them as bait.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 07:21 PM)
Or let everyone know they are and start a bidding war.

I think in terms of a player at the deadline thats not a bad idea, but in terms of prospects you dont' want to let it out that your prospects are readily available. You want to have that leverage by saying how much you really like that guy and try to bargain down to try and put in some fight. Than you may all along know your willing to deal em, but because of the way you put it you only have to deal one and some other guys as opposed to two of the guys you really like.

I don't think Fields or Sweeney will be dealt. But if he gets the right offer I'm sure he won't hesitate (especially in Fields case...the org likes Sweeney a lot; in fact I think we value him more than a lot of orgs would).