Mike Gonzalez posibly availible

supernuke

2:37 p.m. ET

According to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, the Pittsburgh Pirates could deal closer Mike Gonzalez before the July 31 non-waiver deadline. More

Yahoo! Sports' Take: Gonzalez has good stuff and could certainly help a contending team out of the bullpen. He couples a 98-mph fastball with a sharp slider, and when his control is on – and it hasn't been this season – he is very tough. The Pirates would be foolish to give up on him.

This would be a nice bullpen addition.

He is basically Thornton, but has shown the ability to avoid the walks before (see: 2003), and has shown much better ability to avoid the walk than Thornton had overall before this year. So, he's Thornton with the potential to have better control, and 2 years younger. Why wouldn't the White Sox want that? Cost is the only reason I can think of.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
That 2.43 ERA covers his 1.48 WHIP very nicely. I don't want another 2005 Marte, and Pittsburgh might actually ask for the farm

Funny that you say this, because I just read today that scouts say if you put him up next to Marte, they look amazingly similar- except that Gonzalez gets the results, and Marte does not.

They'll be able to get a whole lot for him but I don't know if I'm parting with an upper echelon prospect for a 3rd lefty reliever. I like his talent and his arm and he's been sucessful but I think the walks would drive Ozzie nuts and while Coop may be able to cut that down with his agressive throw strikes approach, we probably wouldn't reap the benefits of that right away.

Plus if we are going to pick up a reliever and give up a major chip, it should be a righty.