Backup Up My Hard Drive

HuskyCaucasian

I work for a church and would like to do something to our new computers. Basically, when we get a new computer I install Windows XP Pro and a whole bunch of other programs. What I would like to do is create a Hard Drive with 3 partitions. One for the OS, one for data (my documents, ect...), and one for a back up of the OS. Basically, the third would be an exact "perfect" image that I could roll back to if we encounter any problems. DO you guys happen to know of any free software that would do this?

I should note: i knwo how to partition it. I just dont know of any software to create a disk image I can revert to.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 05:56 PM)
I work for a church and would like to do something to our new computers. Basically, when we get a new computer I install Windows XP Pro and a whole bunch of other programs. What I would like to do is create a Hard Drive with 3 partitions. One for the OS, one for data (my documents, ect...), and one for a back up of the OS. Basically, the third would be an exact "perfect" image that I could roll back to if we encounter any problems. DO you guys happen to know of any free software that would do this?

I should note: i knwo how to partition it. I just dont know of any software to create a disk image I can revert to.

You are better off purchasing a hard drive and then a USB enclosure and using that to backup your hard drive. More times than not if your hard drive fails all of your partitions will be unaccessable. Its better to get it off to another media anyway. You can pickup a USB enclosure from 19 dollars to 40 depending on the model and make. In Chicago check out Microcenter or Fry's for it.

To make a perfect image you want to use a bitstream imager such as Symantecs Ghost or you can use something like DD. If you just want to backup your fields you can use the built in backup software with Microsoft as it was written by Veritas in the first place.