Hawk-Does he actually listen to what spews out of his mouth???

gosox41

Last nite, HAWK CALLED IT. He was very politely, but angrily saying that stupid Vazquez has to stop getting beat with his worst pitch, which was that fat and slow curve he was throwing over the plate. When the bases were loaded, Hawk said immediately "Nows the time for the slider" and DONT throw the curve.

Vazquez wound up, threw the curve right over the plate and as soon as the Bat hit the ball .............

Hawk incredulously said Thats deep .................. game was over. you could hear it in their voices.

Except for one thing Hangar, it was DJ doing the play-by-play in that inning, DJ was the one who called it.

Not Hawk. There was no mention of getting beat on his "worst pitch", they were talking about location of pitches and it was prompted by Vazquez going high in the zone with the fastball.

Plus they were talking about not going inside on Monroe, that he's a guy who turns on inside pitches. And DJ was the one who said "Hung it" as soon as the ball was hit.

And it was a slider that hung, not a curve. Vazquez said so after the game, and most people in the game thread called it correctly as the slider.

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 11:32 PM)
And it was a slider that hung, not a curve. Vazquez said so after the game, and most people in the game thread called it correctly as the slider.

I was scared to admit it might have been a slider, as you're not going to see a bigger hanging slider than the cookie Monroe got last night. That pitch had no tilt to it at all. FWIW, DJ's been great this year. Hawk's not the easiest person to work with, but he's the best of our four announcers, in my opinion.

I'd rather have an announcer be a fan also. But what I don't like is when an announcer (Hawk) starts rationalizing. It's insulting to our intelligence with some of the stuff he says. Case in point is me earlier example of Hawk talking about where the pressure was right before the series started. He put it on Detroit. When we were leading last year, the pressure was on everyone chasing the Sox. This year it's on Detroit even though we're the chasers.

I have a question:

Which team is under more pressure now, Hawk????

Bob

The reason he said that, and Ray Fosse agreed with him today for what that's worth, is the Tigers had a poor record vs. the White Sox coming into this series.

It had nothing to do with anything else other than that. It helps to understand the context in which Hawk is talking.

He is a guy who knows the game ... better than me, better than anyone on this board I'd suspect. He is just muted in his criticism ... subtle about it ... and that doesn't sit well with Sox fans who liked the Caray/Piersall brand of broadcasting (those guys broadcast when I was a teenager and I loved them, thought they were great).

as you're not going to see a bigger hanging slider than the cookie Monroe got last night. That pitch had no tilt to it at all. FWIW, DJ's been great this year. Hawk's not the easiest person to work with, but he's the best of our four announcers, in my opinion.

I have seen a lot worse hanging sliders than that, and hanging curveballs but it was an awful pitch no doubt.

As for DJ, I think he's excellent and I think he should be in the dugout somewhere, preferably with the White Sox. As a bench coach he would be fantastic. Talk about a competitive guy who knows the game, he has been spot on this year in particular with his commentary without going overboard.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 06:40 PM)
The reason he said that, and Ray Fosse agreed with him today for what that's worth, is the Tigers had a poor record vs. the White Sox coming into this series.

It had nothing to do with anything else other than that. It helps to understand the context in which Hawk is talking.

He is a guy who knows the game ... better than me, better than anyone on this board I'd suspect. He is just muted in his criticism ... subtle about it ... and that doesn't sit well with Sox fans who liked the Caray/Piersall brand of broadcasting (those guys broadcast when I was a teenager and I loved them, thought they were great).

I have seen a lot worse hanging sliders than that, and hanging curveballs but it was an awful pitch no doubt.

As for DJ, I think he's excellent and I think he should be in the dugout somewhere, preferably with the White Sox. As a bench coach he would be fantastic. Talk about a competitive guy who knows the game, he has been spot on this year in particular with his commentary without going overboard.

Maybe Hawk should explain himself better. I don't have my schedule near me, but next time the sox play the Tigers and (assuming) they're still 5 1/2 games out, should I expect to hear the same thing from Hawk? The Tigers record is better against the Sox then it was 3 days ago, but at 3-6 it's hardly a good recod.

I guess I took him out of context but IMHO if you look at the big picture the pressure is on the Sox. And it will be until they reclaim first place of clinch the Wild Card.

Bob