Anyone thinking we won't make a move at all?

Frankensteiner

While these rumors of moving a starter to open up a spot for McCarthy are nice, I'm still of the belief that Ozzie and KW are too stubborn to admit there's something wrong with our pitching. Ozzie's buddies with Freddy and Vazquez, while Kenny gave up a lot of talent to obtain Vazquez. Feelings will get hurt and egos will be bruised if these guys are moved.

Even if KW happens to swing a deal for a bullpen arm (i.e. Gordon or Liebrink) using prospects, I don't think these high caliber set up guys would help us all that much. They're really good pitchers, but how useful are they when we're down 6-4 after the 5th inning because our starters are getting hammered?

Our bullpen has improved tremendously the last 3-4 weeks. Sure another arm down there would help and all, but our biggest weakness right now is starting pitching. (Who would have thought?) Honestly I would trade Vazquez for Gordon straight up at this point. Then go ahead and pick up Hernandez from Pittsburgh and the bulpen is set and the rotation is set with BMac plugged in. Once this happens someone will have to start cracking the whip on both Buerhle and Garcia to STEP IT UP! Take notes from Jon G! Do something! I'm just tired of Javier Vazquez in a White Sox uniform. Sure he's got a great arm. But his pitch selection is aweful with 2 strikes. Its near August and he still hasn't figured it out. Time to move on

QUOTE(Bonderman38 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 07:25 PM)
John Kruk said that The White Sox would probably trade McCarthy for Gordon..

:stick

He makes no sense..

Maybe if they threw in Ryan Howard.

And that's not Sarcasm.

And I don't care where he'd play, we could deal him off to Tampa or some place like that.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 09:26 PM)
I would hang myself...

I'd join you on the gallows. Seriously, does Kruker think before he speaks? It's like he opens his mouth and something just comes out (usually a partially digested hamburger).

Edited by infohawk

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 10:22 PM)
Kruk got philliephans talking.

http://www.philliesphans.com/phorum/viewto...38&start=90

http://www.philliesphans.com/phorum/viewtopic.php?t=35062

But yeah, that would seriously be horrible. They can have Vazquez, but good luck with that no-trade guys.

If KW traded Bmac and kept Freddy 86 mph fastball and Vazquez and his lack of nuts then I would think he lost his f***ing mind.

Bmac >>>>>>>>> Freddy 86er/Vazquez right now

Send one of the underpitching twins away.

The biggest pickup we could get are Javy and Freddy showing up. Freddy gave us a glimmer of hope by throwing harder and effectively against the Yanks for the final 3 innings and for those of you in the game thread I'm now convinced that we'll be able to get Javy turned around and that he'll have a very strong 2nd half.

And no, I don't expect us to make much of a move because I honestly don't think the opportunity will be out there. If it was I'm sure Kenny would jump all over it, but I'd be really shocked if it happened.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 10:36 PM)
The biggest pickup we could get are Javy and Freddy showing up. Freddy gave us a glimmer of hope by throwing harder and effectively against the Yanks for the final 3 innings and for those of you in the game thread I'm now convinced that we'll be able to get Javy turned around and that he'll have a very strong 2nd half.

And no, I don't expect us to make much of a move because I honestly don't think the opportunity will be out there. If it was I'm sure Kenny would jump all over it, but I'd be really shocked if it happened.

Well hopefully we arent looking back in September trying to figure out what happened and making a last ditch run 5 or 6 games out because we waited too long to replace either of these guys pitching. Each of those guys right now are 5 to 9 runs given up guarenteed.

Put bmac in the rotation and send one of them packing.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 08:48 PM)
That's a quote from the Phillies board. *sigh*

Right now I'm not against getting Rowand back since it may just mean we'd never ever ever see Mack in CF again. With Anderson there Ozzie still has it in his mind that he can play the matchups on ocassion and thats just not the right idea when you have as severe a defensive downgrade as there is between BA and Mack.

And no I'm not saying I'd make that deal, but I'm making a point about how I'm not against an everyday CF if it means no more Mack in CF EVA.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 11:10 PM)
Right now I'm not against getting Rowand back since it may just mean we'd never ever ever see Mack in CF again. With Anderson there Ozzie still has it in his mind that he can play the matchups on ocassion and thats just not the right idea when you have as severe a defensive downgrade as there is between BA and Mack.

And no I'm not saying I'd make that deal, but I'm making a point about how I'm not against an everyday CF if it means no more Mack in CF EVA.

Im not against getting Rowand back either, but thast trade is totally unbalanced. We get an older Tom Gordon and a CFer that we already decided was expendable earlier this offseason, and we give up our best starting pitching "prospect" in B-Mac and our top prospect in Fields. I laughed when I read the quote and the following replies that said it was a solid deal.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 09:28 PM)
Im not against getting Rowand back either, but thast trade is totally unbalanced. We get an older Tom Gordon and a CFer that we already decided was expendable earlier this offseason, and we give up our best starting pitching "prospect" in B-Mac and our top prospect in Fields. I laughed when I read the quote and the following replies that said it was a solid deal.

Ya, in terms of what that post said we'd be giving up...awful. I wouldn't trade Bmac for both of em. If I deal Bmac its to get a guy that helps us now and 5 years from now (that means a player thats not only going to be good today, but 5 years from today as well).

Agreed that the Sox won't move one of the starters. Freddy's trade value is very low and since he doesn't look like a long-term prospect, they almost need to hold onto Javy. The bullpen has improved tremendously over the past month or so and the offensive production is more than adequate.

I dont understand why everyone has a boner for picking up relief help. Our bullpen is not the issue at all. The back end of it is strong, and Riske was solidified the middle. Not to mention bullpen pitchers are probably the most fickle and overrated players in the game of baseball. Look at Cliff Polite, how much would someone have paid for him last year. Now he is spiff. It makes no sense.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 08:49 AM)
I dont understand why everyone has a boner for picking up relief help. Our bullpen is not the issue at all. The back end of it is strong, and Riske was solidified the middle. Not to mention bullpen pitchers are probably the most fickle and overrated players in the game of baseball. Look at Cliff Polite, how much would someone have paid for him last year. Now he is spiff. It makes no sense.

We need bullpen help before we can move McCarthy to the starting rotation.