Anyone thinking we won't make a move at all?

Frankensteiner

i wouldnt mind some pitching help. I don't know about starters, but some relief help would by nice.

No bats though. We have plenty of bats and good fielders. Now that Anderson and Uribe have come around, we really have no holes in the lineup.

But if are pitching still sucks, i doubt Kenny Williams will just sit around and do nothing.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 10:49 AM)
I dont understand why everyone has a boner for picking up relief help. Our bullpen is not the issue at all. The back end of it is strong, and Riske was solidified the middle. Not to mention bullpen pitchers are probably the most fickle and overrated players in the game of baseball. Look at Cliff Polite, how much would someone have paid for him last year. Now he is spiff. It makes no sense.

I think a lot of us want bullpen help because we want to take McCarthy out of the pen and throw him into the rotation to replace Garcia/Vazquez. So, we'd then have a hole in the pen.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)
Love the sig milkman.

Ditto.

Only way a move is going to be made is if we trade Vasquez or Garcia for a MAJOR boost in the bullpen and some other nice piece in return. Otherwise, I'd be surprised to see us make a move. And a move isn't as badly needed as people think IMO, the offense is fine, the defense (except with Mack in CF, where he should only be once in a rare while to spell BA) is fine....the issue is the rotation, and B-Mac should be in it. My hope is we trade Vasquez for a setup man, move B-Mac into the rotation, and that Buehrle realizes he's pretty good (which he will IMO). That would give us 4 starters in Buehrle, Count, Garland, and B-Mac who don't suck and Freddy as a 5 isn't bad IMO, plus it bolsters the pen.

Just my $0.02.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 10:52 AM)
We need bullpen help before we can move McCarthy to the starting rotation.

Even with added bullpen help, Ozzie won't start McCarthy over his latin buddies. They have to be off the team for that to happen. If anything, another bullpen arm just means we'll see even less of McCarthy.

Is it out of the question that Vazquez could do a good job in the bullpen?

Entering Wednesday's game, opponents had hit only .228 against Vazquez the first two times through the order.

But that average jumped to .361 in subsequent at-bats.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 10:53 AM)
I think a lot of us want bullpen help because we want to take McCarthy out of the pen and throw him into the rotation to replace Garcia/Vazquez. So, we'd then have a hole in the pen.

Ditto.

BMAC is not really that huge of a bullpen arm. He isnt the most effective rightly, nor the most important arm out there. You want to move him into the rotation? Fine. That just means Riske gets more appearences, which is great.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
BMAC is not really that huge of a bullpen arm. He isnt the most effective rightly, nor the most important arm out there. You want to move him into the rotation? Fine. That just means Riske gets more appearences, which is great.

Ugh, Rike would not get more appearances, the move of McCarthy to the rotaton would be predicated on the addition of a righty setup man who could be relied upon (*cough*linbrink*cough). Brandon McCarthy is a starting pitcher and probably the 3rd or 4th best one we have right now. David Riske has proven over his past few years with Cleveland that he can not be relied upon as a setupman, that's why he generally pitches in middle relief.