Let's see how this team responds to adversity

VAfan

A couple of months ago, a poster asked which team would blink first, the White Sox or the Tigers. I think we have the definitive answer now -- we blinked first. A 5-1/2 game deficit, when we are much closer to missing the playoffs than we are to winning the AL Central, qualifies as us having blinked first.

Boston, if they win today (ahead 6-4 as I write this), will tie us for second best record, while the Yanks could finish the day 1-1/2 games and the Twins 4 games (on a new 7-game win streak) away from making us October spectators. We also have the toughest remaining record of any AL contender, and the worst current pitching of any AL contender.

Last year, I didn't freak out when Cleveland closed on us. And I'm not exactly freaking out now. I'm just no longer confident of the outcome for the 2006 White Sox. It seems to me we could get it together and make a run good enough to capture the AL Central title or win the Wild Card. It also seems to me we could even play decent baseball and finish with the 5th best record in the AL, behind Detroit, Boston, NY, and Minnesota (in which case one of them would also be staying home).

We're on a 15-game brutal stretch against Boston, NY, Detroit, Texas, and Minny, and so far, we're 2-7 against our main competition. Those are go-home results. This team needs to find its identity, quickly.

Edited by VAfan

We can overcome this deficit with better starting pitching and playing better fundemental baseball. However, pitching wise we did pretty good with Garland and Contreras. Vazquez gave up his usual bad inning though. I saw a lot of missed bunt attempts and failure to bring in the runner from scoring position.

I think this team will be fine. They're playing like spiff right now but the pitching seems to be coming around. We'll see about Buehrle tomorrow. Ozzie needs a quicker hook with Vasquez and I think he's probably learned his lesson.

This deficit could be overcome in one week just as a 15 game lead evaporated over the course of a month.

get hot, stay hot, and you won't have to worry about anyone else.

Edited by The Ginger Kid

Don Cooper said today (or yesterday, I forget) that this is a test of the team's attitude and mental toughness. He's right. If they're the least bit relaxed by last year's win, the Tigers will get the better of them at the end. Are the '06 Sox as hungry as the '05 Sox were? We'll see! It's too early to know that, only the next 2+ months will tell.

It's definitely times like this that meld players into a team, though. If they come through the rough stretches without any infighting or attitude problems, and pull together on the same end of the rope (as Ozzie likes to say), they'll be just fine and will finish first in the ALC.

And when did so many people stop believin'???? How sad!

Adversity?

The Sox:

Could possibly win the division

Will probably win the WC

Match up pretty well against all the potential AL playoff teams

Still have not been even close to hitting on all cylinders

Have almost half a season left to play

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

This site is ridiculas...

The sox string together 9 wins and all the suddens they are the repeating word series champions...

Lose 7 of 9 and Ozzie is a terrible manager... and this team is going nowhere but down...

I think we all need to temper our enthusiasm... and our depression. That or start taking xanax.

Funny how these things can snowball.

The Tigers have been wanting to expand this lead for some time now. We've somehow held them

off until now.

They keep winning two of three or three of three each series or three of four or four of four and

we've somehow kept them at bay until now.

If detroit keeps this up another week or two, the lead could be huge.

It's all up to Detroit cooling off.

One game at a time is so boring but that's what the Sox are going to have to do from now until

we catch them.

At 5.5 games out, it's gonna be a while before we catch them.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
Adversity?

The Sox:

Could possibly win the division

Will probably win the WC

Match up pretty well against all the potential AL playoff teams

Have almost half a season left to play

Theres too much baseball to be played for so many people here to call for the end of the world..

Sure, were playing bad.. but it wont keep up the entire second half. Eventually were gonna get our spiff together and look more and more like the team we really are than this team that is out there struggling right now.

I still think the pitching overall will improve, and the hitting really shouldnt be a question. They are gonna produce.

QUOTE(tealeafreaderii @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 10:16 PM)
This site is ridiculas...

The sox string together 9 wins and all the suddens they are the repeating word series champions...

Lose 7 of 9 and Ozzie is a terrible manager... and this team is going nowhere but down...

I think we all need to temper our enthusiasm... and our depression. That or start taking xanax.

QUOTE(T R U @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 03:54 AM)
Theres too much baseball to be played for so many people here to call for the end of the world..

Sure, were playing bad.. but it wont keep up the entire second half. Eventually were gonna get our spiff together and look more and more like the team we really are than this team that is out there struggling right now.

I still think the pitching overall will improve, and the hitting really shouldnt be a question. They are gonna produce.

The funny thing of it all is as "bad" as the Sox played, they were two pitches away from sweeping this series.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 02:59 AM)

Everyone keeps saying this, but it's a lot to assume that this team, or any, will hit on all cylinders simultaneously for an extended period of time. It's just not guaranteed to happen. It's a good point of optimism but it's not money in the bank. But excusing Javy's 6th inning, we've had 3 nice starts in a row, so hopefully it's the start of a run.

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 08:45 AM)
Everyone keeps saying this, but it's a lot to assume that this team, or any, will hit on all cylinders simultaneously for an extended period of time. It's just not guaranteed to happen. It's a good point of optimism but it's not money in the bank. But excusing Javy's 6th inning, we've had 3 nice starts in a row, so hopefully it's the start of a run.

It's like I've said a million times before on this site, it ultimately comes down to is the glass half full or half empty? :huh

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 12:59 AM)
It's all up to Detroit cooling off.

One game at a time is so boring but that's what the Sox are going to have to do from now until

we catch them.

At 5.5 games out, it's gonna be a while before we catch them.

thats what makes me so mad about the Ozzie B lineups, and the throw away games.

I can count 5 games we gave away this season.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 08:54 AM)
thats what makes me so mad about the Ozzie B lineups, and the throw away games.

I can count 5 games we gave away this season.

You have to keep guys rested, but this is ...I mean was... a big series. Save the B team lineups for KC, Ozzie.

Edited by SoxFan76

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 08:56 AM)
You have to keep guys rested, but this is ...I mean was... a big series. Save the B team lineups for KC, Ozzie.

Could you imagine if he didn't rest the players as much as he does? We're already hearing comments about fatigue and they get rested more than any other team I watch.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 09:00 AM)
Could you imagine if he didn't rest the players as much as he does? We're already hearing comments about fatigue and they get rested more than any other team I watch.

I don't think he benches guys as much as we think. Through 94 games...

Konerko 91

Podsednik (who does get benched against most lefties) 86

Crede 89

Thome (Remember NL games...) 88

Dye (injured for a little while, right?) 84

Pierzynski (catcher...) 82

That's still a lot. However, I disagree HOW Ozzie uses his bench.

Although I really like what Pablo does for this team, he's brutal in left field. Mackowiak is brutal in center field (defensively). Cintron, can't complain. He's an all around solid player. Widger...I love the guy. He has a great bat and calls a great game. If you ask me he should be starting over Pierzynski....

Anyway, back to reality. :P

My point? The White Sox have a great bench, but they're just that...bench players. Maybe one bench guy a day should be in the lineup. Even it out a little more, these...

Ozuna

Iguchi

Thome

Konerko

Dye

Crede

Cintron

Widger

Mackowiak

...lineups piss me off. Especially against the TIGERS!!!

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 09:12 AM)
I don't think he benches guys as much as we think. Through 94 games...

Are those actual starts? Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you get credit for a game even if you come in and PH in the 9th.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 09:17 AM)
Are those actual starts? Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you get credit for a game even if you come in and PH in the 9th.

It's games they've played in, not games started. I thought about that. It still doesn't change the numbers TOO much for the starters.

So far, the team is still digging a hole for itself. We now no longer boast the second best record in baseball.

Last year I never panicked or got the feeling that we wouldn't make the playoffs. Once in, I liked our chances against our opponents, primarily because we had the best pitching in baseball -- best starters + awesome bullpen.

This year, a month ago I wrote to watch out for Minnesota. And with Minny now only 3 back, having gained 6 games on us in the past 10, and us in a 2-8 rut against our main competitors, I think we have a below-50% chance of even making the postseason. I would not be surprised to see us end the month of July in 3rd place in the AL Central. And if Minnesota gets past us, I'm not sure we're in a position to catch them.

Pitching is the name of the game in baseball. And we don't have it right now. We have a lot of name pitchers who helped win us a WS just last year. But 3 of them are performing well below league average at this point -- Buehrle, Garcia, and Vazquez -- with no signs of pulling themselves out of it.

Without pitching, this team has also lost its identity. Last year, our identity was clear. It was established in April and kept with us through October. Great starting pitching, great bullpen, score just enough runs to win. Magnificent record in 1-run games. Score early and hold em. As a result, we were a great road team. The only thing we added to that was that our hitters in October stopped swinging at pitches out of the zone. That made us unbeatable.

Teams can have other identities than the one we had last year and still win. But the bottom line is you still have to have enough pitching to win. And we don't seem to have it.

I hope I'm wrong. We could still turn on a switch and start playing like we are capable of. But we're not showing any signs of doing so, while our competitors are seizing their moment.

Edited by VAfan