We Needed this Loss Today

GoRowand33

the whole season it's been about how were still better than the Tigers, how were the defending world champs ect...

well this past stretch, and especially today should be a big slap in the face to the team that they aren't Mr. Incredible

I hate to think it, but I get the feeling from our team (pitchers mostly) that the don't care as much as last year, and they just think they can cruise along right back to the world series

Ken Harrelson kept saying how the series was good for the psyche of the Tigers, well now their riding on the top of the world after winning the series, and the Sox are trailing behind

now that we've gotten a taste of losing, we should start to realize that we need to step it up to keep competing in the AL

so I think this loss will actually help our team get back together and hit a stride for the rest of the year

:gosox2:

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 04:46 PM)
the whole season it's been about how were still better than the Tigers, how were the defending world champs ect...

well this past stretch, and especially today should be a big slap in the face to the team that they aren't Mr. Incredible

I hate to think it, but I get the feeling from our team (pitchers mostly) that the don't care as much as last year, and they just think they can cruise along right back to the world series

Ken Harrelson kept saying how the series was good for the psyche of the Tigers, well now their riding on the top of the world after winning the series, and the Sox are trailing behind

now that we've gotten a taste of losing, we should start to realize that we need to step it up to keep competing in the AL

so I think this loss will actually help our team get back together and hit a stride for the rest of the year

Mr. Rongey! Why I had no idea you posted here.

2001-2004 must of be positively refreshing for you. A few years of getting that taste of losing after the allstar break really gets a team perspective.

This team doesnt need any more motivation. When you are 4 1/2 games behind a team and you are playing them in late July, that should be enough of a motivating factor.

l

Edited by southsideirish71

We need to play better fundemental baseball. Major reason we didn't at least have a 2-2 tie at the end of nine was when Brian Anderson got on 2nd base and Pablo Ozuna could not lay down the bunt to advance him to third. Iguchi's ground ball would have scored him. The Tigers got their 2nd run with aggressive baserunning to cancel the DP attempt. We did those things last year.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 10:28 PM)
really? Cause a win would've put us at 3.5 games back instead of 5.5, i'd say we needed the former more.

I am not following you. Is your comment out of order with what you were referring too? I don't think loses are going to help us. We need to win games. We are now what 3-6 or 3-7 in out last games? We are in a slump for sure, but can still make up the 5.5 games behind.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
I am not following you. Is your comment out of order with what you were referring too? I don't think loses are going to help us. We need to win games. We are now what 3-6 or 3-7 in out last games? We are in a slump for sure, but can still make up the 5.5 games behind.

I find it more difficult to follow your response than his original post, which was very clear.

Today's lost cost us a two game swing -- I wouldn't say under any circumstances we "needed this." Regardless of how many games remain, no one needs a loss against a divisional rival ahead of us.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 10:35 PM)
I find it more difficult to follow your response than his original post, which was very clear.

Today's lost cost us a two game swing -- I wouldn't say under any circumstances we "needed this." Regardless of how many games remain, no one needs a loss against a divisional rival ahead of us.

I didn't know what he was referring too and I still don't. Was he referencing my post or something else? I agree that we don't/didn't need a loss. I am not criticizing him for his comments I was asking a question to clarify them. Thanks!

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 05:40 PM)
I didn't know what he was referring too and I still don't. Was he referencing my post or something else? I agree that we don't/didn't need a loss. I am not criticizing him for his comments I was asking a question to clarify them. Thanks!

He was simply referencing the original post in the thread.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
The Sox are 2-7 in their last 9 FWIW.

Your right on the numbers. I was trying to figure out the number of games we had lost in the last 3 series. I barely passed math.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 10:41 PM)
He was simply referencing the original post in the thread.

Thank you. Now it makes sense. And I agree with him. (unless that get's me in more hot water :lol: )

I hope you're right. I've been getting kind of sick of the free ride the Sox have goten becuase of last year. Last year was last year and it was great and wonderful. But we're in 2006 now. We can always take pride and joy in 2005, but that's no reason the team should get a free ride this season. They need a wake up call. And so do some of the fans who have been watching the 2006 team with rose colored glasses.

Fact is as of right now, July 20, Detroit is a better team. Hopefully they'll hit a rough patch this year. But more then that, hopefully the Sox will get back to laying down bunts, moving runners over and great starting pitching. If that happens, then we'll be the better team when it counts at the end of the season.

Bob

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 10:57 PM)
It's very scary. I was unable to see the game today, however listened to it all outside painting. After the game, I really was just thinking about things, and this is probably the least amount of faith I have had in this team since 04. Even the horrible skid in 05, I hung with it just because of the lead they had built up.

This year is different. These last three series, they never really have had the one big hit that they need. There always a hit short or a run away.

I hate being so down on this team, but they are making it really hard.

Something that I've noticed in the last 10 games or so is that our pitchers can't get that big double play ball in a tight situation like they did so often last year. Instead, our hitters are the ones hitting into double plays in crucial situations that are killing rallies. Of course, the fact that everyone in the field seems a step slow is puzzling also. I have no clue why Crede decided to lob the ball whenever he had to make a throw this series.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)
For me, I dont know if I should be more scared because of it, or be happier about it, but from everything I saw from the last two weeks, is teams for the most part are not getting the best of us, we are getting the best of ourselves. Hawk says it all the time, and it really is true. The 05 only beat itself a handful of times. The last two games alone were big L's to the 25 man roster.

The Tigers STILL dont scare me. For the most part, they played like spiff. We played spiffter.

In 6 of our 7 losses during this horrible stretch, we were a clutch hit on offense or a big out by our pitchers away from having a great shot to win the game. I would love to see Ozzie just play our main 9 players in all three of the games this wknd, and see how it goes.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 05:38 PM)
The Sox are 2-7 in their last 9 FWIW.

And the scary part is that we lost all of those series to our competition in the playoff race. I dunno, something just tells me this team doesn't care as much as they did last year. They seem a little too complacent. Losing to the top AL teams makes me think that maybe we're just not as good as them.