Backup Catchers

Milkman delivers

We've already heard Blanco, but are there any other catchers out there that could be had? Sandy Alomar, Jr.?

I figured I should start this thread because just stating that Widger has a BA of .184, a CERA of 5.50, or that he cannot throw a runner out isn't good enough for some posters. I won't name names. So, let's try to figure out who is actually available.

We are at about a .400something winning percentage when he catches. Even though he's only the back up, we can't allow him to drag the team down so badly. Every game counts when you're down 5 1/2 games.

Keith made a great post in the other thread about Torrealba. Who knows if he's available. I would suspect Zaun might be, and possibly Blanco.

If there's a way to improve the defense, they should do it. Blanco can certainly do that re: the running game. But again who knows if he's available. Logic says yes, but then again we're talking about dealing with the Cubs which is always a unique situation.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
Keith made a great post in the other thread about Torrealba. Who knows if he's available. I would suspect Zaun might be, and possibly Blanco.

If there's a way to improve the defense, they should do it. Blanco can certainly do that re: the running game. But again who knows if he's available. Logic says yes, but then again we're talking about dealing with the Cubs which is always a unique situation.

I don't know much about Torrealba. Zaun might be nice (sure they wouldn't give us Molina?).

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 04:54 PM)
(sure they wouldn't give us Molina?).

They're 6 games out of the division and WC races, they're not going to trade their starting catcher. Plus he's got about $8M left on his contract which runs through next year, that would be insane for a backup catcher.

Chris Widger went 0-for-3 on Thursday and is hitless in 21 at-bats since June 16.

Widger isn't exactly known for his defense, so he's quite a liability while hitting .184 like he is now. The White Sox could consider finding a better backup catcher before the deadline.

Its on the rotoworld radar now.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 09:54 PM)
I don't know much about Torrealba. Zaun might be nice (sure they wouldn't give us Molina?).

Torrealba.

Don't know how good he is defensively, and I'm too lazy to look up his CS% although I'm sure that he can't possibly be any worse than Widger.

Offensively -- he's only had 92 ABs this year, so it tells you that Colorado doesn't think he's there guy for the future. In 37 ABs against lefties this season (warning, small sample size) he's putting up a .297/.350/.514 line. In his career against lefties (233 ABs), he's putting up pretty much the same numbers (.292/.362/.511). He's seems like an obvious trade candidate, unless there's something we don't know about him (bad clubhouse guy).

Heh... just found this out. I didn't know that Torrealba is also from Caracas, Venezuela.

Edited by CWSGuy406

In the "Kenny, Make A Move" thread, I suggested going after Zaun.

He would be an excellent addition.

Also, the Orioles are DYING to get rid of Javy Lopez. A decent pitching prospect probably get him and the O's to eat half his contract.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 07:40 PM)
Torrealba would be ideal, because IIRC the Rockies have a catcher who's just raking down at AAA, so hence it would probably be a good time for them to move him.

That seems strange to me though, because they have been one of the few teams that has been willing to actually talk to the Orioles about Javy Lopez.

I suppose you never know though...

Toby Hall or Sandy Alomar may be available from LA also.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 12:40 AM)
Torrealba would be ideal, because IIRC the Rockies have a catcher who's just raking down at AAA, so hence it would probably be a good time for them to move him.

Torrealba has some nice splits vs LHP, this yr in 37 abs--.297/.350/.514 and the last 3 yrs--.276/.344/.512

Wouldn't AJ have some insight into Yorvit from his SF days?

QUOTE(VenomSox @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
News: The Nationals granted catcher Matthew LeCroy his unconditional release, three days after he was designated for assignment.

Let him go back to the Twins to replace RonDL White.

We're looking for good game calling, defensive minded, limiting the stolen base threat, catcher who can hit LHP.

Lecroy hits LHP, but that's about it.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 08:50 PM)
Don't know how his career numbers are against lefties, but anyone know what Damian Miler is doing these days?

I don't think the Brewers would get rid of Miller. He calls a great game (remember the glory days of Wood and Prior pitching well?), and he is one of the Brewers clubhouse leaders.

QUOTE(soxpride77 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 09:12 PM)
I don't think the Brewers would get rid of Miller. He calls a great game (remember the glory days of Wood and Prior pitching well?), and he is one of the Brewers clubhouse leaders.

They would for a middle of the road prospect or cash considerations.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 10:06 PM)
...and how do you know that?

They are trying to contend and Miller was a big signing for them because he a hometown guy.

He crushes LHP as well.

Trade Fields for him. Now!

:gosox1: :gosox1: :gosox1: :gosox1: :gosox1:

*awaits flaming*

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)
They're 6 games out of the division and WC races, they're not going to trade their starting catcher. Plus he's got about $8M left on his contract which runs through next year, that would be insane for a backup catcher.

I...uh...didn't think I needed green for that one. Kalapse should know this.