Backup Catchers

Milkman delivers

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 05:43 PM)
At least when Ozzie puts in his spiffty lineup, Damian Miller is hitting and catching. Something Widger can't do.

I absolutely agree that Miller is better than Widger, but I would never give up Fields for him. It really doesn't matter anyways. Miller is not available. The Brewers are still in the hunt, and he is an important piece of their team.

QUOTE(soxpride77 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
I absolutely agree that Miller is better than Widger, but I would never give up Fields for him. It really doesn't matter anyways. Miller is not available. The Brewers are still in the hunt, and he is an important piece of their team.

Don't worry, I'm almost positive Ninetrain was being relatively sarcastic. I do think he was trying to make a point about how bad Widger is and that getting a backup catcher could actually be the kind of shakeup this team needs.

A backup should be out there, but I think Kenny wants to make sure he is able to get a good character and clubhouse guy first (and I don't think we'd have to give up anything of major value...heck Arnie Munoz should be able to get you some sort of catcher). In general I'd give up guys like Munoz, phillips (maybe not for a backup catcher) who you will probably lose at the end of the season via the Rule V draft or via minor league free agency.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 05:37 PM)
Give me Olivo!!! They have Willingham and Treanor that can catch. (I'm not really serious about this, but it would be nice to have his arm back) Olivo is hitting 288, he's got a better arm than AJ but as expalined before he has trouble calling a game. The angels manager called all the pitches for the catcher. Perhaps with a little instruction from AJ and Cooper he can learn to call a game.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 05:51 PM)
Don't worry, I'm almost positive Ninetrain was being relatively sarcastic. I do think he was trying to make a point about how bad Widger is and that getting a backup catcher could actually be the kind of shakeup this team needs.

A backup should be out there, but I think Kenny wants to make sure he is able to get a good character and clubhouse guy first (and I don't think we'd have to give up anything of major value...heck Arnie Munoz should be able to get you some sort of catcher). In general I'd give up guys like Munoz, phillips (maybe not for a backup catcher) who you will probably lose at the end of the season via the Rule V draft or via minor league free agency.

:gosox3:

Honestly, like you said, a guy like Munoz or Phillips would be perfect candidates to go for a backup catcher.

I've heard Sandy Alomar Jr. is available from LAD, I wouldn't mind picking him up, he's hitting .328 in limited AB's, but he's been terrible defensively.

If you really want a defensive catcher and aren't concerned with hitting, the guy to get is Danny Ardoin, he's very good defensively and he's got a great arm

I see Sal Fasano was DFA'd by the Phillies yesterday. His knee has been acting up and they didn't have anybody with options they wanted to send down. He is a career back up, lifetime .225 hitter who has played for everybody at one time or another.

I see Sal Fasano was DFA'd by the Phillies yesterday. His knee has been acting up and they didn't have anybody with options they wanted to send down. He is a career back up, lifetime .225 hitter who has played for everybody at one time or another.

he's from chicago also, but I don't think he'd be much of an upgrade.

QUOTE(Butter Parque @ Jul 22, 2006 -> 08:51 PM)
I've heard Sandy Alomar Jr. is available from LAD, I wouldn't mind picking him up, he's hitting .328 in limited AB's, but he's been terrible defensively.

I agree. :P

Edited by Jake