Are 5.5 games surmountable?

stretchstretch

just looking at the two teams we're talking about, how many games are left, and how many we're out. Seems like a hot streak for us and a low streak for them can swing things, but just curious if people think we're hanging our hopes on a WC spot?

We've been able to get to 1.5 games behind, and boom, after a dominant 7-1 win and 3.5 out, like that are 5.5 out, after going 2-7 against the very three teams involved in this race. Seeing how tough 1.5 games behind has been to leap, seems 5.5 is a mountain at this point.

We need 6 games where we win and they lose to take a lead to put that in perspective. thoughts?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, if Cleveland were in this spot last year, they would have ended up with something like a 7 game lead in the division. And this is the Ozzie Guillen era White Sox we're talking about.. I'm sorry if you've jumped off the bandwagon as of late, but this team has done things that shouldn't be done, and will continue to do so. They're just playing the game right now, it won't be long before they start doing it with the heart that we know this team has.

The Sox are 5 losses back, so really all they need is 5 Tiger losses when they win and to win the extra game they haven't played yet. Eventually it all has to come together. It seems like lately only 1 or 2 parts of what is needed to win show up. If the offense shows up, pitching and D are nowhere to be found. If the pitching shows up, the offense goes 0-13 in the 1-4 holes. Any way you look at it, with 10 games left against the Tigers (6 more at home), the White Sox still control their own destiny.

Sure we can catch them. The Tigers have played out of their minds for week after week.

But will we catch them? Yeah, if their pitching starts to suck. If their pitching stays close to this

strong the Tigers will by far have the best record in baseball. By far.

5.5 games is nowhere near insurmountable, especially when we still have 10 games left with the Tigers. I look at it like this: Every team, no matter how good, has atleast one stretch, if not more, where they just don't play good baseball. The Tigers haven't had that yet. Unless they end up winning 110+ games, they're due for a bad streak. We're playing our worst baseball of the season. I have to believe that we're gonna come out of it soon. This team is just too talented not to.

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 09:29 PM)
just looking at the two teams we're talking about, how many games are left, and how many we're out. Seems like a hot streak for us and a low streak for them can swing things, but just curious if people think we're hanging our hopes on a WC spot?

We've been able to get to 1.5 games behind, and boom, after a dominant 7-1 win and 3.5 out, like that are 5.5 out, after going 2-7 against the very three teams involved in this race. Seeing how tough 1.5 games behind has been to leap, seems 5.5 is a mountain at this point.

We need 6 games where we win and they lose to take a lead to put that in perspective. thoughts?

Put it this way....we had a pretty comfortable wild card lead about 10 days ago and now thats gone. If we can do it so can other teams. No matter how good a team is your going to have a losing streak somewhere in the season (if not a couple) and what matters is how you respond and how you play between those streaks (assuming they aren't ridiciulously long).

Sure we have turned things into a race (well the wild card, maybe distanced the division a bit) but as we saw how quickly a lead can go, so can the Tigers or anyone elses lead. All it will take is our pitching to start feeding off eachother and putting up quality start after quality start and they are VERY capable of doing so and for every guy on this staff I could give you a few reasons why they could do it starting now (of course I could also give a few why not). Bottom line the abilities are there and we can close this thing ASAP (obviously you need help from the Tigers too or the teams that are playing them) and even if the Tigs don't fall, if we take care of business we can still control our destiny for the WC.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 02:06 AM)
If we had the starters pitching like they did in 05, along with this offense and a functioning Brian Anderson, we could overcome 15 games if we had to. But the key is the starters.

And now that Anderson has been "functioning" lately, it almost all comes down to the starters.

The rotation needs to steal some games when the offense stalls, as it has recently.

The starters need to get the Sox into the 7th and 8th innings with a lead, so the bullpen isn't overtaxed.

Of course, a crash course in bunting, hit-and-running and advancing runners wouldn't hurt, either. It's especially shocking how bad the Sox have become at bunting.

I still believe (and I'm not sure why lately :bang ) that the starters will get their second wind, and make the adjustments necessary to pitch more effectively. If they do that, the Sox will be right in the thick of things all season. If the starters continue to flounder, the Sox might be watching October baseball from home.

How many games do the Sox have vs Detroit left? 10. If the Sox can go 6-4 in those games they will gain two games on Detroit.

Also, have you seen the Tigers schedule in August? If they still have the Division lead after Labor Day, they will win the Division.

Detroit's schedule:

17 Straight games vs Winning Teams / 23 out of 26 vs Winning Teams

August 7 - 9 - MIN

August 11-13 - @ SOX

August 14-16 - @ BOS

August 17-20 - TEX

August 21-24 - SOX

August 25-27 - @ CLE

August 29-31 - @ NYY

September 1-3 - LAA

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 12:48 AM)
5.5 games is nowhere near insurmountable, especially when we still have 10 games left with the Tigers.

Fluffy Clouds will say HEY, we have 10 games left, everything is OK. But remember this. The SOX will have to WIN ALL 10 of these games. ALL OF THEM. Going 5-5 Gains them NOTHING. Do you trust the Tiger staff to lose 10 consecutive games to us? And dont forget, the lead is 5 games, and the SOX are sure to only take 2 of 3 from the Baltimores and Kansas Citys of the world, while the Tigers Sweep those same teams. So the lead will be more than 5 games shortly .............

Bottom Line............ the SOX gave too many games away early on and its coming back to haunt us now.

that 7 run blown lead to KC in April, the 2 giveaway games to the Cubs ................yeesh.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 08:34 AM)
Fluffy Clouds will say HEY, we have 10 games left, everything is OK. But remember this. The SOX will have to WIN ALL 10 of these games. ALL OF THEM. Going 5-5 Gains them NOTHING. Do you trust the Tiger staff to lose 10 consecutive games to us? And dont forget, the lead is 5 games, and the SOX are sure to only take 2 of 3 from the Baltimores and Kansas Citys of the world, while the Tigers Sweep those same teams. So the lead will be more than 5 games shortly .............

Bottom Line............ the SOX gave too many games away early on and its coming back to haunt us now.

that 7 run blown lead to KC in April, the 2 giveaway games to the Cubs ................yeesh.

You crack me up, Hangar.

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ITS OVER! BRING UP THE CHARLOTTE KNIGHTS! ALL OF THEM!!!!!

Have to win all 10. That's great stuff.

:lol:

The SOX will have to WIN ALL 10 of these games. ALL OF THEM.

Say what?

That's some real fuzzy math.

If they go 6-4 vs. Detroit, which is entirely possible, that's two games. Picking up 3.5 from 7/21 to 10/1 is certainly possible.

Granted they are not in a great position at the moment, of their own doing. If the Tigers continue at this pace they'll win 109 games. And if they do, they've earned it. They haven't hit one rough patch yet though. Not saying they will or they won't, but it's highly unusual for even very good teams not to hit one single rough patch.

I quit reading there when you decided to label a whole group of people...

:bang

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 09:34 AM)

How do you figure the Sox have to win all 10 games vs the Tigers? If they win 6, they gain 2 games, that is going 2-1 at the Cell for two series, and splitting 4 at Detroit. If they win 7, they gain 4 games, which is not out of the realm of possibility.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 08:41 AM)
Granted they are not in a great position at the moment, of their own doing. If the Tigers continue at this pace they'll win 109 games. And if they do, they've earned it. They haven't hit one rough patch yet though.

You know, I was chatting with some people last nite, and everyone I know is up in arms now, me personally, I hit the panic button a couple weeks ago already, so Im not as up in arms as others. I have come to the realization that if the Tiggers win the division, its not a bad thing, theyve won the games they were supposed to win ......... and YES we do have to tip the cap to them. There are alot of good teams in the AL and were one of them.

5.5 GB is not a lot! The Indians were 15 back, for Christ's sake. It seems as if the Tigers have not hit a rough spot so far. They may have an extended losing streak in there somewhere, but EVERYTHING seems to be going right for them thus far. Craig Monroe with a grand slam? I know Vazquez is a head case, but come on. That young pitching staff has been playing over their heads. Not to say they aren't really freaking talented, but it's tough to keep that up for a whole year. Robertson proved that.

And put me in the crowd who thinks this team has yet to fire on all cylinders. I still believe the pitching will come around.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 08:55 AM)
How do you figure the Sox have to win all 10 games vs the Tigers? If they win 6, they gain 2 games, that is going 2-1 at the Cell for two series, and splitting 4 at Detroit. If they win 7, they gain 4 games, which is not out of the realm of possibility.

If we win all 10 games, we have a 5 game lead. If we Win 5, but then give back 5, were at ZERO again (and they still have a 5 game lead on us). Were not counting on the games were going to lose to Oakland and Minnesota end of the year. I said it before, the TWINKS are going to determine who wins this division. Were going to have to play the Twinks BETTER than the Tigers do. Who else is going to beat the Tigers? The Twins and Yankees